Robbie Fulks 2016 (with Steve Albini, The Mekons and other assorted ramblings)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Davey, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997) Thread Starter

All the past Robbie Fulks threads seem to be closed for business, so this is the 2016 edition to talk about the brand new Upland Stories record, and the one from last year with The Mekons called Jura, in reference to the island off the coast of Scotland where it was recorded, and my big favorite, the great Gone Away Backward from 2013, ... and/or whatever else comes up.

Not sure how well he's known around here, but some great country Americana type music, a bit on the outlaw side, recorded just about perfectly by Steve Albini. Lots of acoustic space, great sound and dynamics too, I think Gone Away is DR 11 on the CD, and I've heard the Bloodshot vinyl sounds pretty good too, certainly doesn't cost a bunch to try anyway. New one is about the same.

And I've only lived with that new one for a few days so can't say how good it is, sounds pretty nice though, not a big difference from what we're used to, but be hard to top the last one. And I only go back to that 2013 release (so far), whereas Robbie goes all the way back to the mid 90s, so other recommendations are welcome and appreciated.

Also been listening to the Mekons & Robbie Fulks recording mentioned above, it was put out for RSD last year, actually billed as the mini-Mekons since just 5 of them were involved, kind of a collection inspired by old folk songs and sea shanties, maybe not quite up to the high level that pairing conjured in my mind when first hearing about it, but still fun to hear. And a great closer with Sally Timms below ...

And here's one from Robbie ...

Where I fell »

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  2. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

Interesting that this thread should flash as I listened to Lo & Behold by Coulson, Dean, McGuiness, Flint earlier this evening and it prompted me to listen to a Fulks Basement Tapes show from Chicago. I have not listened to anything from him since his early releases but this show is interesting and a good listen.

3. MetallicSquink

MetallicSquink Forum Resident

Robbie does a Dylan covers showcase most every year around Dylan's birthday. In addition to The Basement Tapes show, he once covered Street-Legal in its entirety (probably the best of the 100-or-so Fulks gigs I've attended during his Hideout residency here in Chicago) and is cherrypicking favorites from Dylan's Christian period at a performance coming next month.

A few weeks back Robbie, vibist Jason Adasiewicz, bassist Kent Kessler and drummer Gerald Dowd performed a collection of Carter Family songs set to jazz arrangements... Extraordinary stuff. Below is their version of "Bear Creek Blues."

4. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Is Jura really only available on vinyl?

5. Davey

6. Dennis Metz

That's what I meant. I guess he's going to force me to hook up my turntable :cheers:

7. Davey

You may have already seen it, but there's a cool 10+ minute video that Bloodshot put together for the Jura release last year ...

BTW, I think the vinyl is all sold out at Bloodshot, so you will have to find someone with stock if you want to get it now, which probably means a bit more money too, but maybe not. The prices at discogs are quite a bit more than original.

8. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

I've not been able to listen to any of this since the first LP I ordered in November was lost in the mail labyrinth. (There's a second copy on its way from England). I've read many reviews but thus far have refrained from streaming any music until the LP finally arrives.

9. Dennis Metz

Thanks. I found one on Amazon CA. Don't know how, but I totally missed this:cheers:

10. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

I've given Upland Stories a couple of listens on streaming before the CD arrives - another very strong collection of songs. My favourite of his is definitely 'Georgia Hard', check that out OP if you haven't already.

Davey, RandyB1961 and bibijeebies like this.
  11. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

He really is an extraordinary talent. I saw him play in Milwaukee recently and he played a few of the new songs. I have the new LP in my possession and plan on giving it a solid listen this weekend.

12. RandyB1961

RandyB1961 Go Dawgs!

I'm really enjoying Upland Stories so far. Haven't heard Jura, really need to check it out.

13. Davey

Thanks, that's one of the things I was looking for, I definitely will.

14. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Christgau gave Upland Stories an A last week.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  15. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I've thought about picking up Gone Away Backward on vinyl since sampling it recently. I may at some point. Typically Albini productions, especially when mastered analog from his mixes, sound amazing on vinyl. It may have not been cut from tape but I still think it could sound on the same level as the well received CD, which is great that it appears to be mastered well too. It looks like the vinyl is a different mastering regardless due to difference in song order, so it's good to see it get an independent vinyl specific master, whether cut from high res or analog sources.

Nice thread!

bibijeebies likes this.
  16. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

This paint-blistering NSFW number has been the lead-off track of my heavy-rotation Songs About Nashville playlist since my visit to Music City last year. (I discovered it in a thread on this forum when several people said it’s the best song ever written about the capitol of country music.) Fearless punk country at its finest.

17. Davey

Yea, I don't know anything much about the vinyl production for Gone Away Backward. I've posted some of Albini's comments in the past about the production on the great Nina Nastasia records at Abbey Road, especially my favorite The Blackened Air, and some other artists like Will Oldham, and I've read both Fulks and Albini talking a lot about this record and the new one (see Fulk's reddit posts from a couple days ago below), and the recording, etc, but not really anything about who or where it was mastered for vinyl. As I said above, the CD sounds fine too, so not worried, but the Gone Away vinyl can still be picked up for under $15 new, so I will probably grab one while it's still around.

I’m singer/songwriter/guitarist Robbie Fulks. Ask me anything! • /r/IAmA »

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  18. harmonica98

The vinyl of Gone Away Backward sounds fine but I don't think it's anything special.

Davey likes this.
  19. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Same here. He's a huge talent in so many ways, but you already know that! I often wish that artists like Robbie garnered the attention they deserve. My personal whipping boy at the moment is the Beach Boys "Holland" thread with 100s of posts. Ah well, more Robbie for us.

20. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I have one Nina Nastasia lp, On Leaving, and it sound really good. Albini's production is what led me to Robbie's music which is a great thing. I then read an old interview with them and my interest grew from there. Another fine Albini job is Songs Ohia: Magnolia Electric Company, that lp brings chills down my spine. I love it because he allows the artist to play pure.

I will have to pick up a few of his lps and cds sooner than later. I don't really listen to CD much though, that's why I mentioned vinyl. I notice he plays a small venue in my city in June!

21. Davey

Yea, I'm a big Albini recording fan from way back, and even bigger Jason Molina fan. Kind of veering off-topic, but this thread probably won't go very far on its own, so might as well keep it going. The Songs: Ohia Ghost Tropic LP has a pretty amazing sound too, not Albini, but very nicely recorded at Dead Space by Mike Mogis, and I think mastered by Kevin Gray. Has some of my favorite Molina songs.

If you do get a chance, and it's not easy nowadays since the cost has gone up pretty high on the used market, but those first two Nina Nastasia records on Touch and Go are just amazing so keep an eye out. I like them all, but there's some real magic on those first two, she's just amazing. I sent an email to Touch and Go in the past imploring them to get them back in print, but no reply, don't know if there's some obstacles, but I'd love more people to hear that analog magic. Maybe if a bunch more people send an email asking for reissues ... [email protected]

And The Power Out by Electrelane, that's another big favorite Albini recording from the 2000s, sounds very nice on both CD and vinyl. Quite a bit different than the type of music above, more of a Neu! via Stereolab influence, but lots of fun. Also went out of print, then was reissued a couple years ago for RSD and still available for normal price, I think.

mikemoon likes this.
  22. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Fulks' old blogs were funny, I can't find them anymore. There was a story about his band backing a Garth Brooks tribute artist at some corporate event that was hilarious.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  23. Davey

Seems strange that they chose to leave off "Imogene" to fit the vinyl, that's one of my favorites on the CD. I know it's totally subjective, but I wonder who made the decision? Seems to be a good fit for the middle of the CD, kind of a transition song, different from the songs before and after, so maybe that's why it got dropped, not needed as much since there's the vinyl flip to change direction.

And back to my previous post to Mike for a sec about Molina and Albini, if you didn't see the interview with Albini at The Quietus in remembrance of Jason, it's very nice and puts some of the recording process in context, some glimpses behind the scenes we don't usually get... The Quietus | Features | A Quietus Interview | Great Records Will Find An Audience: Steve Albini On Jason Molina »

24. harmonica98

Definitely see him live. You'll hear some great songs, excellent guitar-playing, funny stories and some off-kilter covers. What's not to like?

mikemoon likes this.
  25. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Yes, I have that Ghost Tropic lp. I still have a few more of his earlier ones to add. I think I have about 8 of his lps.

Touch and Go is usually pretty good about keeping things in print but her albums have been OPP for a few years now. I did just find a NM copy of The Blackened Air for about $60 online in the U.S. That's not terrible but I'd much rather pay $20-$25. I emailed T&G. I also saved The Power Out to my list to listen to, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.