Robert Downey Jr. is “Dolittle” (January 17, 2020)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Oct 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Another one I won't see. sigh.

3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'll wait for Doolittle II.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

since he cleaned up, downey has been nothing short of phenomenal in every role he has taken.

5. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Why?

6. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

No thanks

7. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

Why not? There's 15 books, plenty of material to work with and there doesn't seem to be a great adaptation. The Eddie Murphy film doesn't really have anything to do with the Doctor Dolittle character other than name and ability to speak to animals.

8. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I loved the original with Rex Harrison, but this looks like it is not trying to remake that and it seems fun. Plus I love Robert Downey, Jr. and the whole cast is impressive. I'm in.

9. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

Sorry.

Not enough Newley -

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Bit of a comedown after Endgame.

Apparently he’s involved in
    ..Black Widow (2020).

11. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

12. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Nice Thread, OP :righton:
    Just viewed it, happenstance on youtube (not from pop-up or from here; found this thread after viewing the trailer & conducting a thread search).

Robert Downey, Jr. fan. That being said, found this a bit frightening b/c I viewed, thinking of Dr. Doolittle as, primarily, a children's film, w/adult appeal. Thought this might skew more dramatic/to adults, but not as much as this does. Looked it up & it does have R-rating. I guess I'm not understanding why so much out of Hollywood is adventure, superhero &/or twisted themes. I appreciate clever inventiveness/ such as combinations of sci-fi w/drama &/or crime stories, but how 'bout some balance w/lighter material? The 2019/2020 world is already scary enough. Comedy, in particular, is going by the wayside altogether. I get that in this world of political correctness, it has to be near impossible to write/perform comedy, but we need laughter, from entertainment/media, too. I wonder if we'll ever have it again, as Hollywood (entertainment, in general) also signifies what's occurring culturally, as well as just purely imaginary stories. In previous decades, it reflected; now it seems to do more pushing of agendas. Also, if no one's writing comedy & this is all future generations will be viewing, how's anyone going to know comedy, have an understanding of it, in order to be able to write it? Color me perplexed (& a bit, saddened). :sigh: :( Know it sounds overly simplistic, but maybe if comedies & rom-com's were made again (in addition to so much being aggressive in nature), there wouldn't be so much crime/depression/anxiety in the world...that, maybe it can work both ways; not only that Hollywood reflects society, but that society reflects Hollywood. Happier storylines = less depression/crime/anxiety = happy society. One can dream.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    aussievinyl and Ghostworld like this.
  13. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

This will bomb bad..
    the sad thing nobody asked for this.
    There are movies i would like to see made and they never will.
    Doctor Dolittle is very old character from childrens books from the late
    1920's and early 30's . yes they found success with Eddie Murphy.
    Went down hill with the daughter having her movie.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There is no bloody way in hell this thing can make money.

Universal has a lot riding on the new Doctor Dolittle movie, which is budgeted at $175 million, before marketing and distribution costs.

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.

15. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

2little, you mean.

16. egor

egor Forum Resident

17. alexpop

Least we’ve got BlackWidow to look forward to cameo appearance at least.

Aside.
    Feel sorry for Chris Evans...still a few films left in him playing Captain America, but he wanted to move on. Latest; he was rejected from starring in Dr. Sleep playing Danny Torrence by Stephen King no less, King he personally choose Ewan McGregor instead.

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

OK I love Dr. Doolittle. I read a couple of the books when I was a kid. I absolutely love the Rex Harrison movie and the soundtrack. The Eddie Murphy movies have nothing to do with it. Cute but beyond dumb. Fart Jokes.

Come on people it’s not Dr. Dolittle it’s the high concept of a man who learns to speak to animals. Just because they Lousef that up with the Eddie Murphy movies doesn’t mean that concept can’t be turned into a good film. But I do agree with the poster who said not enough Anthony Newley! (Or Samantha Eggars. Did I ever have the hots for that prim English rose and her ever burgeoning Cleavage during the film.

19. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Really? I think his career has been very disappointing in recent years. Takes very few risks. Cares more about money than art. He's got real talent and blows it on stupid movies. A waste.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  20. alexpop

Zodiac ?

aussievinyl likes this.
  21. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Based on the trailer, I would almost guarantee that you will hate this movie with a passion. It looks like Cutthroat Island with speaking animals.

SandAndGlass and Ghostworld like this.
  22. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

He was so good in that one, as were the whole cast.

a customer and Dudley Morris like this.
  23. recoverydog

recoverydog Forum Resident

He used to be a good actor.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Rotten Tomatoes seems to indicate that it has not yet been rated "Rating: NR".

It makes no sense suggesting an "R" rating for a children's/family movie. Adults are not going to see an "R" rated children's movie.

Again, we have the possibility of yet another potentially successful movie that is destined to be buried by an exorbitant budget.

At least we don't have Johnny Depp playing the doctor...

longdist01, Vidiot and Ghostworld like this.
  25. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

oooh cutthroat island. That's just mean. :biglaugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.