Robert Johnson 2LP on Dol Label

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sandmountainslim1, Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz Thread Starter

Robert Johnson - King Of The Delta Blues Singers

Is anyone familiar with this release? Apparently it is KOTDBS 1 and 2 packaged together. I wonder what mastering it is and the sound quality? I have KOTDBS 1 and 2 on the 1998 and 2003 CD releases so I don't know if this it would be a higher sound quality than what I have or not.

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

It's DOL. Don't do it. DOL will probably use a CD for source.

3. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Just find the Centennial Collection on vinyl or CD. I wouldn't trust DOL for anything.

qwerty and sparkmeister like this.
  4. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

What he said.

sandmountainslim1 likes this.
  5. sandmountainslim1

Actually had never heard of that label before but I knew it seemed pretty cheap

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

It's a PD label from Europe. So, no access to master sources. They either use a CD mastering, or use needledrops. Being that these are from 78 RPM sources to begin with, they won't be HiFi anyway.

seed_drill and sandmountainslim1 like this.
  7. sandmountainslim1

That is about the 5th time someone on this forum has told me to buy the Centennial collection. I already own KOTDBS 1 and 2 BUT on the advice of you guys I just ordered the Centennial collection. I should have no trouble trading the older CD's in at my local Record Shop.

8. misteranderson

That's cool.

I stumbled on the Centennial vinyl -- this would be the 3 LP set that was a Record Store Day thing from last year. Wasn't looking for it at all. The CDs are highly regarded, if I find them I'll pick those up too.

I have the Columbia Vol. 1 & 2 LPs from the early '70s(?), and a gold Columbia '90s CD. I don't know if the DOL or other recent vinyl is using the Centennial set as a source or not.

9. sandmountainslim1

I'm actually pretty excited to find out how much better the Centennial collection sounds compared to the 1998 and 2004 CDs I own

10. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

I can't imagine that Robert Johnson's music will ever sound any better than it does on that Centennial Collection,vinyl or CD..whatever voodoo magic they worked on it..it sure worked!

This is very cool and the Ultimate Robert Johnson Box.Make sure you watch the video!
    Robert Johnson-The Complete Original Masters - Centennial Edition-Vinyl Box Sets|Acoustic Sounds

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  11. sandmountainslim1

Got my Centennial Collection CD'S today. Sound IS clear but one thing that strikes me is how much louder my 1998 KOTDBS was.

12. misteranderson

My gold King of The Delta Blues Singers is from '93. I'd actually have to dig it out and A/B it with everything else.

Picked the Centennial CDs up just the other day. Will try to compare if I get a chance.

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I read your title as on the DOT label and thought "cool...did Dot somehow get the rights to issue this back in the day?" Then I realized this is DOI, some craptastic "mastered directly from CD to vinyl" "copyright loophole" label.

El Paso.

14. sandmountainslim1

I have been listening to the Centennial collection for the past 4 days and I absolutely love it. I am amazed at how much better the 78 single "faster" Come On In My Kitchen is to the version I was used to on k o t d b s. I also prefer the 78 single version of Crossroad Blues. I downloaded an MP3 collection of the 1990s complete box set from archive.org just to see the difference in sound quality and while the Centennial collection is superior the older collection is very listenable and not nearly as bad as I had been led to believe

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  15. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

John Tefteller, who puts out the annual blues calendars, sometimes writes for Goldmine. He said there have been significant advances in cleaning up and restoring 78's in just the past few years, without the sonic destruction of some of the older processes. Of course most Robert Johnson sides at least have a decent copy extant.

McLover and sandmountainslim1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.