Robert Plant new album "Carry Fire" on Nonesuch/Warner (10/13/2017)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Elliottmarx, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

I was given the vinyl for Christmas. The sound is great, and I like the music much more than I expected to. Robert threw me with Dreamland. That's where he lost the beat with me. I just can't get into the strange rhythms of his latest output. So, maybe it's the vinyl, maybe it's the giver (my awesome wife), or maybe it's the music - whichever it is, I like this album. (Fate of Nations is my all-time fave, if that's any indication.)

2. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I've been enjoying the hell out of the first two lately. Not sure why they don't get much love. Sure there's no Howe and Wakeman, but we still have Bruford, Squire and Anderson in very fine form, and its not like Banks and Kaye can't play.

3. qrarolu

qrarolu Forum Resident

I also got a slight feeling I was listening to U2 here and there on Carry Fire. Not at all a bad thing, just surprised me.

JeffMo likes this.
  4. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Feels like a Lanois production to me

JeffMo likes this.
  5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Love the blend of psychedelia, blues and folk. Gave this album a spin this morning and I find I'm picking more things out every listen as it continues to grow on me.

6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Plant has been spotted at a few U2 shows on the last couple tours.

JeffMo and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  7. fjn04

fjn04 Forum Resident

The first two are great. Yesterdays is a nice comp of the S/T, and Time and a Word. Great stuff IMHO.

DiabloG and SirMarc like this.
  8. Psychedelic Good Trip

tinnox likes this.
  9. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

10. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

11. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

That would be a shame because it's a great show, with an identical structure to most of the UK Tour.

I really enjoyed the new material in concert, and Carry Fire (the song) was the highlight of the night by far.

In a way, Plant is doing now what Dylan started a few years back - base the set on recent material, with a few bones to his old material.

If it was me, I'd drop the Zep altogether in favour of more solo material (but that's another argument/discussion and I can't pretend to not have enjoyed seeing That's The Way sung live for the first time!)

This Misty Mountain Hop is terrible btw.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Clanceman, footlooseman and Bonddm like this.
  12. rlp

rlp Forum Resident

Great show by Plant and Co. in Charlotte NC last evening. New material just gleams.

JeffMo and Clanceman like this.
  13. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

14. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Good article from a local paper for me. This section:

"The soldout crowd was, of course, adoring – almost too much so, because a few people kept screaming during the quiet parts. One husky male voice yelled repeatedly, “I LOVE YOU SO MUCH.”"

That made me laugh on first read, but thinking about it more...I do find that quite disrespectful, even if that is the opposite of the intent. I haven't been to a live show in several years and most of that is due to the audiences. I nearly went to see Plant at one of his NC shows, but it didn't work out.

I'm glad to hear the tour is shaping up so well. I have such respect for him.

15. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I was at Robert`s (almost) hometown show in Wolverhampton in November, which was truly superb. Robert was as one with the audience who, thakfully were great, no idiots holding up phones for 25 seconds of shaky footage. RP is really into his music, a man who is loving where he is at this point in time. I`m with @JPJs Bass Guitar opinion that RP should drop the LZ material. Robert has a great back catalog and a great band playing a great mixture of blues/folk/world music. You want a Led Zeppelin show, go see one of the many great tribute bands don`t expect Robert Plant & The Sensational Space Shifters to become one.

footlooseman likes this.
  16. iDigital

iDigital Forum Resident

Hi All, I was really looking forward to buy this latest album as well, until I heard it, there has been a few references here to U2, which to me is apt as, when I listened to it, about 3 tracks in, I thought to myself “this sounds like U2” and like U2, I find it just as boring, so it’s a no from me, I ain’t buying either one.

17. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

When I saw him in Australia in 2013, I thought the Mighty Rearranger tracks (Tin Pan Valley, Enchanter, Another Tribe) were the best part of the gig. I was clearly in the minority, though, as the crowd around me were almost comatose during them!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  18. Psychedelic Good Trip

Listening to Carry On now, The tune A Way With Words is incredible. This album has Zep IV all over it. Love this album!

19. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

U2's former tour manager was once a roadie for Zep.

20. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Forum Resident

I usually don't record videos at shows but I decided to do a few at the opening night show and they ended up in the Ultimate Classic Rock article that others have linked here. It was a great show as always by the legend and while of course more Zeppelin songs are always appreciated, I heard his first three albums before I ever heard a Zep song so I would have liked even more solo songs!

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  21. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Have the Gold LP version and CD. A good album but Plant's singing is mostly whispering........................

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  22. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Listening to this album right now, it is fricking great. Away with words is a spectacular song. Definitely hints of U2 in here. Really really really good album, best new album I’ve heard in a while.

23. I will be in the audience at Sydney Opera House and this is exactly the sort of setlist I would be expecting and would want to see.It is also the sort of setlist he has been doing for over 30 years.In 1984 when he first toured Australia there were exactly 0 Zep songs in the set.
    Hope there aren't many of the tin foil hat wearing idiots mentioned in the review.

Bonddm likes this.
  24. Psychedelic Good Trip

25. Psychedelic Good Trip

Just ordered Carry Fire 2 lp set this morning. Can't wait to get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.