Robert Plant new album "Carry Fire" on Nonesuch/Warner (10/13/2017)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Elliottmarx, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Carry Fire is good if not great but my favorite Plant LP is Pictures At Eleven I never get tired of that LP and it is fantastic.

2. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Not trying to correct you; we all like the songs we like and don't like the ones we don't. But your comment triggered something specific in me with "Dance With You Tonight." When I got this album I was visiting my first girlfriend as she was dying in hospice. She was a huge Zeppelin fan, and I have very fond memories of our relationship in our younger days and sharing all that music with each other (among other things). So that song had unexpected and tremendous pull over me at that time. Still makes me weepy to think about it. It was like a gift Robert delivered to the both of us in that moment. Hope this wasn't too maudlin.

3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I’m sorry to hear that. My condolences.

4. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

First, very sorry to hear this. Of course music affects all of us in different ways...I very much respect your feelings and view for that song and I feel kind of bad for wording it that way now...I will now go back to it and try and listen with a different view...

JeffMo likes this.
  5. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I thought Lullaby was his second best album after Fate of Nations. On these last two albums he has been very melodic, I like the way he is using his voice.

6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I finally got to hear this album (thank you local library!) and it's really good - just like his previous ones. In fact they all sound they same, like one long song. All good though (from "Fate OF Nations" onwards for me).

7. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

I don't think they *all* sound the same - that's kinda crazy, you're saying Now and Zen sounds like Mighty Rearranger, Fate of Nations sounds like Shaken n Stirred? Ah, no - but there's no question the last three or four sound a lot alike.
    Love,
    Billy

Paulo Alm and superstar19 like this.
  8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Nothings sounds like Shaken N Stirred (main reason I love it so)...I will say what really has helped make his last several albums so good, is the use of the instrumentation and the way the music just sucks you in with all the cool vibes going on! Some good posts going on here!

JeffMo and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  9. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

Agreed. Must also say that while I did enjoy Carry Fire to some extent, I feel that the template Plant has been relying upon is beginning to get old.

scotti and DiabloG like this.
  10. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I have to agree with this comment. If he releases another album in the same vain, it just won't work any more (at least for me). His last real rock album was Mighty Rearranger, which is still my favorite by him. Sure the template is no doubt getting old, but unfortunately so are a lot of our music legends. Like most of us, I always dream of the great albums from the past and hope somehow that the old magic is still there, but we have to face reality and that it is really hard for that to happen.

With that said, Buddy Guy (a young 81 years old) just released one his best albums of his career, an absolute Blues masterpiece! So dreams can come true...

Paulo Alm and DiabloG like this.
  12. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

August 20 : today is ROBERT PLANT's 70th birthday :cheers:

Runicen, JoeF., superstar19 and 2 others like this.
  13. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Happy Birthday Robbie!! 70th:edthumbs::cop:

tinnox and scotti like this.
  14. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

When Robert played the Vancouver Jazz festival 6-7 weeks ago he was visited backstage by Paul Rodgers(Paul's wife is from here). On his off-day he attended the show by Marc Ribot/David Hildalgo(Los Lobos).

15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I played this for the first time today.

To preface, I thought Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar was something of a masterpiece.

On first listen, this doesn't have too many compelling vocal melodies. However, these sometimes take some time to come through, so I'll reserve judgment until I've heard it 10 or so times.

What it does have is a wonderful band. Man, this is progressive stuff, especially the electronic work, which when juxtaposed against the guitar, is really something else. If you don't feel like listening to Plant, just sit back and listen to the band, amazing.

I have the CD, and the packaging is nice. Stiff cardboard Mini LP cover. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it has that rubberized feel to it, all in all a premium effort. That said, they gave us a gatefold and wasted it. Oh well.

On the CD - the once great Nonesuch have really gone down the tubes. I didn't run the numbers, because honestly sometimes you just don't need to. The mastering of the CD is appallingly loud. The only plus is there's no distortion - but still, the music deserves more. Played at a decent level you can still enjoy this work, it just could have been more.

Worth picking up, imo. Plant's solo career has really given us a treasure trove of extraordinary music. As he ages the fire may have been dampened, but his creativity and majesty has not. IMO.

16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I think the two albums are of a similar mood and feel, but I also prefer Ceaseless Roar overall. Need to pull both off the rack again actually.

17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Not too maudlin at all and quite heavy. I hope you are doing okay on your grief journey.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  18. Psychedelic Good Trip

Love the vinyl of this release. Solid sound.

Clucking and Fishoutofwater like this.
  19. team2

team2 Forum Resident

I really like "Bones of Saints" on this one, but overall for his solo work, I much prefer the earlier stuff from Pictures At Eleven through Manic Nirvana (1982-90). Everything from Fate of Nations to Carry Fire hasn't quite stayed with me that much, apart from the occasional song ("29 Palms", "Hey Joe," "Dirt In The Hole," "All The Money In The World").

DiabloG likes this.
  20. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Pulled this out to give a spin cause of this thread
    [​IMG]
    Robert Plant - Carry Fire gold vinyl

floyd, Clucking, team2 and 1 other person like this.
  21. Touching and appropriate. I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

22. Psychedelic Good Trip

YEP

tinnox likes this.
  23. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i never thought i'd care for robert plant's "current" solo work after his 80s output. but once i heard this album and then jumped backward a few, i was quite blown away. i prefer "lullaby" slightly to "carry fire" but man are they both something special.

recently caught his SXSW special on tv and it was a perfect companion. his band is awesome.

JeffMo likes this.
  24. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Quick question: does the hi-res have higher DR?

25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I'm really enjoying this album. Can someone please point me to more Robert Plant?

footlooseman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.