Robyn Hitchcock Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Kaufman, Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevimetal

kevimetal Forum Resident

I have! I was at the premiere, it was at The Castro theatre in San Francisco. RH was there, and Demme was supposed to be there but didn't turn up. I need to watch this again though, thanks for the tip.

2. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

I don't think the new album is nearly as much a landmark as you do, but it's definitely enjoyable. And while Robyn semi-frequently hints at country influence in his music, he doesn't do that much of it, and when he does, it sounds irreverent. This song in particular just HAS to be an attempt at a later Ringo-led Beatles track. Listen to it with that in mind and I think it's undeniable.

bzfgt likes this.
  3. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Listening to Eye for the first time. What a great album!

4. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

That was the first of his I ever bought about a decade or so used on vinyl, and it's still my favorite probably by far. Really set me on a journey through his catalog.

factory44 and Instant Dharma like this.
  5. Dave Gilmour's Cat

I like the stripped-back quality. Later albums seem to suffer intrusive production. Has he released anything else this stark?

Chrome_Head likes this.
  6. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

If you haven't listened to I Often Dream of Trains yet, then get to it post haste.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Yes, that's a good 'un. Must play it again.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  8. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I have a few of his albums, he played a lot back in the 80's here in New Jersey at a club called Maxwell's in Hoboken. I love the album, Got To Let This One Out, live recording.

9. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Gotta Let This Hen Out?

Hen means "one" in Greek of course, so understandable.

mooseman and strummer101 like this.
  10. BiffJackson

BiffJackson Senior Member

For that stripped-back sound, I recommend Spooked, with Gillian Welch and David Rawlings on background vocals.

[​IMG]

Alfie Noakes, 1970, zobalob and 2 others like this.
  11. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I really love this record.
    :edthumbs:

12. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I just listened to Gotta Let This Hen Out! today. Such a great live document. The band really rocks on this one.

bzfgt likes this.
  13. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

sorry, I was at work. I knew I wasn't to far off.

bzfgt likes this.
  14. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

LUXOR. Once again, solo. A few throw aways, but some great tunes on there, too.

Instant Dharma, bzfgt and strummer101 like this.
  15. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Such a strong body of work! I'd love to see a nice re-issue series of the A&M material (or did I miss it somehow?)...

bzfgt likes this.
  16. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

Yep Roc rereleased them not too long ago with lots of bonus tracks.

17. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

All I can add to what others have mentioned are a few tunes each on Moss Elixir (“Filthy Bird” is marvelous) and Jewels For Sophia—not stripped down albums by any means overall, but both really damn good.

Several solo Robyn songs in a live setting on the excellent soundtrack to the Demme film Storefront Hitchcock also (the version of “The Yip! Song” on there blew me away when I first heard it, before I heard the version on Respect—and the solo song “1974” on there is utterly hilarious).

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  18. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Yep Roc's reissues weren't of the A&M albums (Globe of Frogs, Queen Elvis, Perspex Island and Respect). As far as I can recall, none of those albums have ever been reissued.

They'd make for a decent box set, and there are enough single and compilation tracks to fill a bonus disc, and you should probably add the Live Death promo mini-album in there as well.

19. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Although... it has to be said: one of Robyn's charms is that he would hardly restrict himself to only one bonus disc (in this hypothetical future box)... :cheers:

20. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Oh, I hope he'd splurge, but I feel that this period was already picked over in his other archival releases. I don't know that he kept his 'A&M Outtakes' conceptually distinct from his outtakes in general. A lot of demos and alternate versions of songs from those albums ended up in the Luminous Groove box set, for instance.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  21. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

He definitely did not reissue the A&M albums, ever, and I don't think Respect has ever been on vinyl.

22. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Very intrigued and tempted by Luminous Groove. What's the packaging like? It it in a box or slipcase? Card sleeves? Any sleevenotes from Robyn (or anyone else)? And what are the rare tracks like? Any info appreciated before I shell out. Thanks.

23. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

Correct: Respect was released on CD and cassette only. Pity.

Completists should seek (ye the one known as Clint), um, Spectre, a companion promo version of Respect with Robyn discussing each song.

Maurice and ad180 like this.
  24. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

25. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

Aargh, yes you're right. I was confusing them with the Element of Light/Glass Records era reissues!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.