Robyn Hitchcock Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Kaufman, Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

I agree. Nextdoorland is not one I go to often. I think sister EP Side Three is much stronger.

2. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Absolutely! I'd certainly recommend the Rhino edition of Gravy Deco for the song choices. Maybe 'cause it was one of my first intros to RH many many years ago (cassette of the Midnight Records edition of Groovy Decoy), but I still have a soft spot in my heart for many of the songs and fondly remember cruising around in my car late at night cranking up Midnight Fish!

3. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Quick follow up question on the live album Gotta Let this Hen Out.

Has anyone compared the original CD (1995) with the BELLE SOUND label remaster (2008) in terms of audio quality?

I know that most of the original CDs are OOP, but man are still available for cheap on Amazon. Thus I guess this is also a general question of original discs vs. 2008 BELLE SOUND remasters for two others often cited albums in this thread, Fegmania and Element of Light. Not long ago I purchased the remasters for these two which sound fine, but having not heard the originals I'm wondering if the latter are the one's to get.

4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

The remaster a little on the harsh side, IMO, but if you were OK with the other two releases, you'll probably be fine with this one. It includes some additional live material that was from a later vintage (including If You Were A Priest and a groovy alternate take on Egyptian Cream). I've always loved this live album. The Egyptians were on fire and many of these versions surpass their studio equivalents.

5. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It's a curious fish, this one, and this thread inspired me to revisit Gravy Deco (the Rhino collection covering this period). It certainly wouldn't be my first recommendation for a Robyn novice, though it definitely features some of his essential gems (The Cars She Used To Drive, Fifty Two Stations, America). It seems like he was trying to reach beyond his old comfort zone, but the combination of an unfamiliar producer and session musicians made these sessions uncomfortable for him. There's an awkward slickness to some of this stuff that doesn't do the tracks many favors--I tend to prefer the live versions--but still, it's an interesting transitional period. Assembling the Egyptians was definitely the right move for him in the mid 80's.

6. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

It is not of course his best album , far from it , but its not the huge catastrophe some people may claim
    as for recent Robyn , i found his releases less than essential , a couple of good songs on each album an thats it for me
    the last masterpiece he wrote was "NY Doll " on the first Venus 3 album .

7. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

I'll ask again, since it got buried at the end of the last page:

Anyone ever successfully made a personal RH compilation spanning all eras for their own usage? I've tried to based on the releases that I already have, and I still can't keep it under two discs.

If so, post your tracklist(s), eh?

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi likes this.
  8. Thrillsville

Does anybody know where there is a translation in English for the booklet that's in Obliteration Pie? In fact, there's a couple of Japanese discs I have that I'd like to know what the liner notes say (Bob Dylan's Live 1961-2000 and the John Lennon mini-LP series that came out in the mid-2000's)

Also, I finally received the new one Love From London. I really like this one! A couple of styles and sounds that he hasn't done or explored before.

FakePlasticDunk likes this.
  9. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I just found this thread. I'm a huge fan of Robyn's work. I'm going to read through the thread and begin particpating.

I was just making a huge Robyn playlist on my Squeezebox, just picking my favorites from each album. I'll add that I'm really digging the tracks on Gravy Deco. It's been a while since I've listened to this disc, and it's much better than I remembered.

10. marc with a c

Any career that kicks off with the "Anglepoise Lamp" single is more than worth investigating!

entropyfan likes this.
  11. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

So, Guy - how was the show? :)

12. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

It was great. I don't know if you've heard Peter Buck's solo album, but it's a lot of fun. It's mostly Garage Rock in flavor, but with plenty of variety, a Hound Dog Taylor cover, some VU sunshine pop-sounding stuff. Peter's voice is low and gruff, but I thought it sounded more conventional in concert. There are a number of guest singers on the album. So he was a great opening act... Mike Mills and Lenny Kaye both came out and joined him.

Since the Venus 3 is the same band there was no equipment set change. Robyn did a couple songs solo acoustic with a background singer (I forget his name) and then the V3 came on. It was a great set and a terrific set list... something of a greatest hits show. He started the group portion with Kingdom of Love, they did a beautiful version of Airscape, One Long Pair of Eyes, Alright Yeah, he dedicated I Wanna Destroy You to Margaret Thatcher. I can't remember the whole show, but it was one welcome song after another. The encore was Waiting For My Man and another cover.

The whole night was really fun. The show was well-attended, but it wasn't totally packed, which is always unpleasant and especially unpleasant at Webster Hall. A great show by an amazing 60-year old guy.

13. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

Thanks for that report. Wish I could have been there. I thought of driving to D.C. to catch the show at the 9:30 Club (4/27) but it didn't happen.

I just learned of this Yep Roc RSD release There Goes The Ice (2x12" 45 rpm) so I snatched up a copy. Only 750 pressed they say.

14. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Only 750? What a shame, it's a wonderful album, loose, great tunes, and the 45rpm pressing is just lovely, it suits the music perfectly.

15. M321115

M321115 Forum Resident

I'm a huge fan of Robyn. The man and his music are sorely overlooked not unlike XTC and Squeeze.

16. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

This may get me banned, but I completely agree with his take on Christianity.

17. lastdamdown

lastdamdown Forum Resident

Discovered Robyn in college back in the late 80's when he played Bumbershoot Festival in Seattle. Had seen his name mentioned in a blurb in the paper, but didn't pay much mind.

Went to the venue (I think it was the Coliseum) to see Camper Van Beethoven, then touring Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart. Robyn & The Egyptians played first. First thing he steps to the microphone and says, "Hello, I'm Robyn, and I'm here to entertain you until the band comes on." Priceless!

Picked up Queen Elvis shortly thereafter and loved it. Friend of a friend was a huge fan and I dubbed his catalog along with Soft Boys and became a fan for life. SB's Invisible Hits is probably my favorite.

Have to admit, I don't keep up with new releases like I used to and haven't bought anything of his since Ole, Tarantula or listened to any of his albums since I got Luxor 5 or 6 yrs ago.

Still have all his Rhino CD releases, held on to the original Midnight Music of Gotta Let This Hen Out and kept both the Aftermath and Rhino copies of Black Snake Diamond Role because of the different takes of "The Man Who Invented Himself" (any other differences between these two releases?). Also never upgraded my SB's so have the original Two Crabs/Glass Fish CD's, the Overground release of "Raw Cuts" and the 2-disc comp on Ryko.

Are the Yep Roc titles a significant upgrade? Box sets worth the investment? Any other different takes or mixes across the various versions of his catalog?

18. Thrillsville

What are the two new songs on the release? I couldn't find a copy. I think one store in Vancouver got one but nobody else did.
    I got the four Phantom 45's (eight songs) when first offered but nobody has said yet what the track listing for the RSD was.

I really hope this gets some sort of wider release (like a CD maybe?)

19. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

Yep Roc Records YEP-2324 2X12" 45rpm, 10 songs
    Contains all 8 songs from his previously download-only "Phantom 45" series, plus 2 new previously unreleased songs.

Side A: Halo Mary; Comme Toujours; To Be Human; Bellyfull Of Arms & Legs.
    Side B: Violet Rain; Time Girl; Twitch For Sam Surfer; There Goes The Ice

I realize the listing above is only 8 songs, and this doesn't really answer your question. This is all the information I could find until my copy arrives.

20. jonnyhambone

jonnyhambone Forum Resident

A: Halo Mary, Comme Toujours, To Be Human
    B: Bellyful of Arms & Legs, Violet Rain
    C: Time Girl, Twitch for Sam Surfer
    D: There Goes the Ice, After the Bullfight, I'll See You

excellent sound, great songs. One of my favorite things I've heard from him in recent years. The overall feel is more akin to Eye than more produced electric band releases. Nice contributions from Abigail Washburn and KT Tunstall.

Thrillsville and 1970 like this.
  21. marc with a c

I'm not sure that I've heard his take?

22. Thrillsville

So...After the Bullfight and I'll See You. Hope these get offered as Phantom 45s as well.

23. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

A friend of mine gave me a copy of this lovely vinyl box last week as a gift. I already had the CD set and didn't realize that the 5-LP version of While Thatcher Mauled Britain includes 20 tracks not on the digital version.

I haven't gotten into it yet, but a weekend listening session and vinyl-transfer project beckons.

[​IMG]

24. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Luxor is probably the least pleasurable album in his entire catalog.

See my post #79 and follow-up #94 for one man's assessment of his post-A&M output. Ole! Tarantula was an excellent album, but I have probably played all his subsequent releases just as often, they've delivered just as much pleasure.

I understand how people lose interest in consistent artists who don't pitch surprises the way Dylan used to or Neil Young still does. But Hitchcock's QC and overall excellence is remarkable.

25. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I really like his track Driving Aloud (Radio Storm) for that great chorus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.