Rock acts on 60s television - Live or lip sync?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Nov 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

My question is, other than The Ed Sullivan Show, were there any other shows where they performers sang their songs as opposed to lip syncing? I know all of the Dick Clark shows, like American Bandstand and Where the Action Is were all lip synced but what about some of the others?

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

3. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Mike Douglas had some suprisingly good musical guests on his show ( including Lennon ) and they all played live.
    But the best was ' The Tom Jones Show '. Jones had great musical guests and he often sang with them. There is a particularly good clip of him performing ' Long Time Gone ' with Crosby Stills Nash and Young. Jones is wailing away and you can see the group is impressed.

4. John54

John54 Senior Member

I once saw the Bee Gees on Dick Cavett and the TV show personnel started the record at the wrong speed. I think it was I've Gotta Get a Message to You.

trumpet sounds and Steve Litos like this.
  5. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I think the main reason they lip synced was because of time control for the time frame of the show.

6. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

It's a bit more complicated than that. First, a handful of performers on Clark's primetime Beechnut Show (Jerry Lee, Fats) played live.

By the late sixties a number of acts on Sullivan were either totally lip synching or singing live over a prerecorded music track.

Here is a thread that discusses the possibilities for one series:

I had NO IDEA so many great musical guests were on 'The Red Skelton Show'

trumpet sounds likes this.
  7. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

The Stones' appearance in 1964 is at least partly mimed, as far as music tracks are concerned.

8. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Actually it's cheaper.

Also by the late '60s few TV studio sound systems could handle heavily amplified electric guitars. After Howard Shore examined SNL's sound system prior to the show's debut in 1975, he insisted it had not been updated since the 1950s.

Steve Litos likes this.
  9. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I know that one , I think. Is that when they bring some of the girls from the audience on stage and they're absolutely star-struck ?

10. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Was the Johnny Cash show live vocals over prerecorded back tracks?

11. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

the beatles on ed Sullivan? really? everyone knows they were lip syncing to a prerecorded monkees track. duh.

13. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Fake news. The Rock was born in 1972. So if it was claimed that the Rock acted on 60s television, it was definitely neither live nor lip-synced. It was a modern CGI fabrication.

[​IMG]

Chip TRG likes this.
  14. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Mike Douglas was very interesting in that regard. I remember seeing Frank Zappa, KISS, Genesis, Ted Nugent, ELO and many other rock acts perform. I can only imagine what the typical housewife audience for that show thought of Frank Zappa.

15. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

Beat Club was a mixed bad.
    The Who playing My Generation, I think in 1967, was live but in their 1969 appearance promoting Tommy they mimed to the album tracks.

16. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Mike was kind of square but never pretended to be anything else, and respected his guests. Too bad they couldn't get better sound back then:

Spaghettiows and goodiesguy like this.
  17. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Yeah, Douglas was definitely 'un-hip' and didn't try to be, but he never talked down to the musical acts and treated them with respect.

trumpet sounds and Spaghettiows like this.
  18. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Doesn't seem to be. I'd be surprised if it never happened but with most performances, you can see a band on stage.

19. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I was recalling a Joe South performance with just Joe.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  20. nopedals

nopedals Forum Resident

Mike Douglas was a pretty good jazz pianist. Jim Hall was in his studio band. Probably hipper than most of his musical guests.

21. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

"Shindig!" was mostly live vocals over instrumental tracks that were pre-recorded for the show. (Though they also apparently recorded rehearsal lead vocals, just to have as a safety in case someone came down with a sore throat on taping day.)

- Kevin

goodiesguy and Steve Litos like this.
  22. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

Don't remember the singer, but he stated in the early seventies on an afternoon talk show that when he was on Bandstand, they cued-up the 'B' side of the single, which he barely knew the words for.

23. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

American Bandstand. The Doors are standing around talking to Dick Clark, when the engineer starts up "Light My Fire" before Densmore can even get behind his drum set.

24. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I always felt the Mamas and Papas were the worst lip synchers on TV. Especially on the
    Ed Sullivan show. I mean really, in this clip Michelle is not only eating a banana when she's
    supposed to be singing, but later she's actually using the banana as her mic!

25. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I wonder if that wasn’t deliberate, like when The Turtles mimed with the wrong instruments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.