Rock and roll anomalies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychsound, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychsound

Psychsound Forum Resident Thread Starter

1. The Beach Boys recorded a song written by Charles Manson in 1969.

2. Ted Templeman, who produced Van Halen and created a new hard rock sound, played with Harper's Bizarre, a soft rock 60s band that recorded Feelin' Groovy.

3. Before they got famous, Donald Fagan and Walter Becker from Steely Dan played with Jay and the Americans.

4. Bob Dylan discovered his violinist in the 1970s through a chance encounter on the street in NYC when he saw her walking with a violin case. She was unknown at the time.

5. Some of the greatest songwriters have been credibly accused of plagiarism, including Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin, George Harrison, John Lennon and Brian Wilson.

6. The Who once had a fan from the audience play drums on a few songs when Keith Moon passed out from pre-concert partying.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  2. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I'm not so sure VanHalen was a new rock sound, or that Mr Templeton had any hand in the creation of it.
    It is a band that was typical of hair bands at the time with the exception of having a guitarist that was doing something completely unorthodox.
    Other than EVHs guitar style the bands sound was nothing new.
    Mr Templeton did, however, an excellent job of capturing the excitement of what they could do live in the confines of a studio.

I think a bit of an anomaly might be that Grand Funk Railroad started out as a band that was known primarily for its' live shows that were extremely energetic and creative display of their front mans talent doing a very raw sounding rock style ended up doing radio friendly pop after Phoenix and that their weakest songs are what the band seems most known for.

junk likes this.
  3. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

But cuter than a whole bag of newborn kittens put together. It's good to be Bob Dylan, she would have told you or me to get lost.

4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

How about Eminem sampling Dido and turning her into a best-selling act ?

[​IMG]

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Which "hair bands" were these? "Hair bands" were an 80s phenomenon that followed in the wake of Van Halen.

VH started in the 70s before "hair bands" became a "thing"...

6. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

You might call these some of the Best Kept Secrets in Rock & Roll...

Sandinista and drasil like this.
  7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

You know, those bands that had....hair.

junk, Sandinista, hi_watt and 2 others like this.
  8. Psychsound

There really were no hair metal bands in the 1970s when VH started out.

9. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

The connection that most surprised me was Rick James and Neil Young being in a band together in the 60's.

also of note:
    Lee Hazlewood produced Duane Eddy in the 50's

Stevie Ray Vaughan's keybordist Reese Wynans played on Captain Beyond's second album

Be Bop Deluxe keyboardist Andy Clarke played keyboards on the dB's second album

Italian jazz great, trumpeter Enrico Rava, released an album of Michael Jackson covers a couple of years ago

And I've mentioned this before - Cheap Trick's Rick Nielsen played keyboards on a Yardbirds song

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    GTOJUDGE, junk and mooseman like this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

[​IMG]

11. Psychsound

Touche ...

hi_watt likes this.
  12. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Adam Wakeman keyboardist for Black Sabbath.

[​IMG]

13. "Never Learn Not To Love" (formerly "Cease To Exist")was released on the 20/20 album. Four convicted murderers contributed to 20/20:

Charles Manson
    Phil Spector ("I Can Hear Music")
    Huddie Ledbetter ("Cotton Fields")
    Jim Gordon (Wrecking Crew drummer)

This is sort of an anomaly.

14. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I love threads where the topic is completely unclear. I'm not being sarcastic--I really mean it. now I can post this:

[​IMG]

...if a cat on a synth in outer space isn't anomalous, I don't know what is.

15. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Yes but there was Aerosmith and their brand of winking cock-rock which feels like some kind of stylistic precursor...

16. Darby

Darby Forum Resident

She hardly needed his help, she had some real hits in her, kind of like the female David Gray. Eminem's top selling singles have been with women, I think Eminem has a lot to thank Dido for bringing him into the mainstream.

junk and Spear and Magic Helmet like this.
  17. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

The New York Dolls as well:

[​IMG]

EasterEverywhere and Purple Jim like this.
  18. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Anyone that doubts Ted Templeman's role in the creation of the VH sound should to listen to the Gene Simmons demo. The difference is huge.

Fullbug, junk, thxphotog and 5 others like this.
  19. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Michael Anthony plays those fast single note bass lines which are a bit like Arthur Kane's... I don't really hear any blues in Van Halen, though, compared with Aerosmith or the Dolls. Eddie's riffs seem to owe more to Iommi, if to anyone at all, than to those usual Yardbird guys. Others may have a very different take on these sounds, I'm sure.

seed_drill likes this.
  20. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Eddie would occasionally insert some bluesy/boogie elements with songs like "Ice Cream Man" and "Hot For Teacher", the main riff of which reminds of a bit of ZZ Top's "La Grange" which in turn reminds me of Slim Harpo's "Shake Your Hips" .

GTOJUDGE, junk and Dave Hoos like this.
  21. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

"Anomalies" is not a rock-and-roll word.

I think the term you're looking for is "weird s#*t."

JL6161, junk, RandyP and 8 others like this.
  22. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

I was amazed when I found out that Robben Ford played on George Harrison's band in the ill-fated 1974 American tour.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  23. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Phil Collins played drums for some of the sessions of George Harrison's All Things Must Pass. His work just didn't make it to the final album.

theMess, tmtomh and starduster like this.
  24. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

I don't consider the "My Sweet Lord" plagiarism verdict to be credible. Harrison said he patterned the song after Edwin Hawkins' "Oh Happy Day" and I believe him.

25. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

or that country picker extraordinaire Albert Lee was in Joan Armatrading's touring band in the mid-70's

Licorice pizza likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.