Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame 2019 nominees

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ModernDayWarrior, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Streetwalkin' Cheetah

What do "fans" know anyway? By pure name recognition, that makes sense. Fan voting is a popularity contest - look what's popular and ask if the more popular artists/groups are thought of as "better" by critics or peers. There will be a big discrepancy.

BluesOvertookMe and HoratioH like this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Apparently Todd has done the math and realized the economic value of being nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He (or whoever mans his Twitter account) Tweeted this:

[​IMG]

No, I don't know what it means either.

Last year, he spoke to the graduating class of the Berklee School of Music and paraphrased LBJ - "If nominated, I will not run. If elected, I will not serve."

I guess Michele showed him the mortgage

RocksOff87 likes this.
  3. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

hey, he can't stop running...

4. Chris DeVoe

Good excuse to share this video:

5. That80sBaldAsianBadGuy

That80sBaldAsianBadGuy Forum Resident

I actually would have thought Tina Turner would be the first double female inductee. Tina's probably much more deserving too since her recognition would be for her comeback and being the oldest artist to have a #1 hit number at the time

6. zen

zen Senior Member

More or less...I share Pete's opinion.

7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Josh Prine? What a doofus. Kraftwerk...a novelty band? Ugh. Radiohead...6 #1 albums...4 platinum in the US...#1 albums all over the world. This guy is clueless.

His criteria seems to be sales, charts, and toured America a lot.
    Styx over Roxy Music...that should tell you everything you need to know about this guy right there.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  8. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

Geez, this guy really isn't super knowledgeable... his taste is very obviously mainstream "classic rock", doesn't seem to know much about anything else.

DumbMagician, jon9091 and Aurora like this.
  9. zen

zen Senior Member

If you actually watch the whole video he does same the name correctly.

10. HoratioH

HoratioH Talk Sparks to me

The low fan votes for Kraftwerk disgust me.

jimhb and DumbMagician like this.
  11. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

He thinks Kansas and Emerson, Lake & Palmer should be in. I don't need to know another thing about him.

DumbMagician and mrbobdobalina like this.
  12. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Whose this guy?
    Never heard of Josh/John Prine??
    Fuggetaboutit

13. zen

zen Senior Member

I agree.

14. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Thanks for sharing.

jon9091 likes this.
  15. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

That’s great, it shows he can read a name from a list. He still has absolutely no clue who he is.

16. zen

zen Senior Member

PRINE doesn't hit everyone's radar.

17. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Absolute clueless choad spewing his rockist-based nonsense to the world.

18. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Would they perform, more than one original and would anyone talk? Fans know the virtually guaranteed answer is "no!" to all three.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

It would depend on whether or not Honda or Boston Dynamics could make Kraftwerk-shaped humanoid robots in time for the ceremony.

20. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Why? I'm guessing that most Kraftwerk fans don't give a crap about the R&RHoF any more than the band does.
    Neither does ELP.

21. Chris DeVoe

This year for Todd Rundgren's 70th birthday, he's been celebrating with fans at different gatherings around the world. Billboard wrote about the most recent one:

Into the Woods With Todd Rundgren and His Superfans at 2018 Toddstock

The scheduled activities at the five-day California event had a rejuvenating summer camp vibe: morning vocal warm-ups with Rundgren's wife and singer Michele Rundgren (The Intoxicats), afternoon painting with Prairie Prince (of The Tubes) in the art barn, and a ukulele jam session with Greg Hawkes (The Cars). Rundgren's longtime right-hand man and Guitar Player columnist Jesse Gress broke down Rundgren's unique song structure during his Saturday guitar lesson: "In Todd's music, suspensions go to other suspensions." On Monday (Oct. 15), Prairie Prince, Hawkes, and saxophonist Bobby Strickland brought a caravan of campers to Navarro Beach for a drum circle (yes, there was a beachy version of "Bang on the Drum"), Prairie feeding beachcombers smoked oysters and avocado as we watched whales spouting off shore.

Rundgren had no qualms about being fully accessible throughout Toddstock, visibly reveling in spending time with his fans. He accompanied a group on a tour of a local cannabis farm, stopped for photographs in his Viking hat, signed albums, played cornhole, hosted an uproarious version of Family Feud (a show Rundgren watches religiously), and ate dinner side-by-side with fans in the Lodge, democratically sitting next to someone new at every meal. At night, Rundgren, a former Boy Scout, joined us in singing songs around the campfire, everything from "Johnee Jingo" and "Something To Fall Back On" to a bacchanalian rendition of "Psycho Killer." (No "Kumbaya" was tolerated at this campfire sing-along.)

Campers aimed to create a Burning Man-like atmosphere at Toddstock, setting up interactive light installations, decorating teepees with colorful flags and bright pink flamingos and trading homemade pins and stickers. Fans also provided their own music, performing Rundgren songs or songs by associated acts, joined on stage by Hawkes and Rundgren himself, as well as Michele Rundgren and Prairie Prince, who brought down the house with The Tubes' iconic 1975 masterpiece "White Punks On Dope."

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    MikaelaArsenault and ashlee5 like this.
  22. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

What does this have to do with the thread?

23. Chris DeVoe

That at least one nominee for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is appreciative of his fans.

24. SoundAdvice

[​IMG]

If Kraftwerk send these guys to perform/pick up their awards, it will be more than what Mark Knopfler did for the RRHOF.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  25. SoundAdvice

Reznor publicly says he has no interest. Why he's not nominated.

Noel Gallagher admitted he was approached by a RRHOF members to gauge his interest level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.