Rock bands/artists who went pop

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by seed_drill, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think most rock bands or even heavy metal or hard rock bands have had forays into pop music with certain songs, but a radio hit or two or a ballad doesn’t mean they’ve changed their overall philosophy. I think the distinction is: did their sound change altogether and, with that, their image? Certainly bands like Foreigner or REO Speedwagon always could go one way or the other. Blue Öyster Cult had some weird albums in the 80’s but still retained their image and maintained their sound to a certain degree.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  2. barrytaylor

barrytaylor Forum Resident

Then Back to Rock and Prog with their last album "Road Island"

3. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

VH leaned "pop" from the very start. Can anyone claim "Jamie's Cryin'" isn't a total pop song? Or "Dance the Night Away"?

zen likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Even if one wanted to view Bowie as a pure "rock artist" in his early days - which I think would be tough to do given the nature of the 1967 debut, and the "Space Oddity" and "Hunky Dory" album - Bowie would've made his first transition to "pop artist" in 1975.

"Young Americans" is clearly not a "rock album"...

6. Oatsdad

1) I think the thread wants to look at established recording artists who switched genres after they'd gained success.

2) Even if we accept Gaga's pre-recording period, the thread wants "rock artists", which doesn't count anyone who played jazz standards on piano! :D

seed_drill likes this.
  7. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Springsteen.

8. How does Bryan Adams count? He started off pop-rock (well, pop-disco, but we can forget about that one-off) and never really changed his approach.

9. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Echo & the Bunnymen

10. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member Thread Starter

No one outside of Canada knows about that single. But yeah, he always had one foot in pop. It just seems that rock stations never touched anything he released after 1989, whereas Summer of '69, Cuts Like a Knife and Run To You are stalwarts.

11. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

R.E.O. Speedwagon certainly comes to mind. It's hard at times to think that the same band who recorded "Golden Country" and "Ridin' The Storm Out" would later give us songs like "Keep On Lovin' You" and "I Do' Wanna Know".

Gramps Tom likes this.
  12. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

No, but it's closer to soul/r&b than pop. Although nowadays pop and r&b fall under the banner of pop music, back in the 70's there was more of a line of demarcation.

13. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Eh, that Everything I Do single may qualify as something more poppier than his earlier stuff.

seed_drill and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  14. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

The Doobie Brothers went from rock ("China Grove") to pop ("Real Love") back to rock ("The Doctor").

longaway likes this.
  15. Gentle Giant
    Roxy Music

16. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

I have a 'calling all girls' wlp stereo/mono 45, so it must of got played in America at least once..........I've never heard it on radio however.

17. Oatsdad

Yeah, but it was "plastic soul", so I think it was still pretty close to "standard pop", even in that era.

Anyway you look at it, it wasn't rock! :)

Andersoncouncil likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

They peaked when they shilled for Carpets Galore:

(5:55 in this clip)

19. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Everybody from the 70’s that lasted into the 80’s.

john lennonist and FFF like this.
  20. FFF

FFF Forum Resident

Ha, beat me too it. I want to forget 80's rock/pop.

john lennonist likes this.
  21. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Marmalade
    New Colony Six

22. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Catchy melodies and vocal harmonies were always a staple of the VH sound. Sure, EVH's guitar is the first easy thing to look at, but catchy pop melodies are pretty much all over every VH album.

23. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I'll go with DiVinyls.

Saw them live on the Desperate tour and they were one of the most exhilarating (and horrifying --> Chrissie's performance / persona during the song "Elsie") rock bands I've ever seen.

A couple of years later they reduced themselves to the pap of "I Touch Myself". :shake:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  24. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

My mind went straight to REO Speedwagon. REO TWO is a real rockin' album, kick-starting with Let Me Ride. Let's not forget their version of Chuck Berry's Little Queenie. That sax performance might be the best in recorded rock history (apologies to Mr. Clemons.)

25. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.