Rock Candy Records re-issues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Natvecal., Jan 1, 2018.

1. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

I'd be curious to hear which titles are acceptable. My current inclination is to avoid any "Rock Candy" reissue, at all cost. There's not another label I can think of where I've adopted this viewpoint.

Galley and PTgraphics like this.
  2. Leo Lyons

Leo Lyons New Member

Lets get this out on the table as I want to invest in their stuff as its reasonable priced in the UK...

3. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

If I bought them and kept them, they are good (enough for me; I just crank them in the car). These are the ones I thought were just fine, though some audiophiles may disagree:
    Survivor - Eye of the Tiger and the one after it
    Toto - the fourth one, I think
    Kansas (both)
    Dio - Holy Diver
    Gary Wright (both)
    Ambrosia - One-Eighty
    Dakota
    Eddie Money (debut)
    Frank Marino - Juggernaut
    Jefferson Starship - FAPZ
    Krokus - Headhunter
    Zebra - s/t
    Dokken - Tooth & Nail and Under Lock and Key

Was not impressed with Head East Live, but it might be the source and not Rock Candy's fault (I never heard the vinyl).

ispace, Leo Lyons and carlwm like this.
  4. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Only one i have, or cared to have, from Rock Candy is the only record by The Sea Hags. It sound excellent. Nice liner notes and a couple of demos. Really awesome band. The live shows on You Tube with Frank Wisley on lead are really great. Cool Stonesy band. Original sound, to me. Love the Sea Hags. Kind of a never was, forgotten band. But, i really love 'em. And Rock Candy did a great job on 'em.

Leo Lyons, Juggsnelson and art like this.
  5. Leo Lyons

Leo Lyons New Member

Survivor - Vital Signs?

barnabyjames1 likes this.
  6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I have Dokken's Beast From The East as it is the whole 2CD set, not the truncated 1 disc version. It sounds OK.

Leo Lyons and Doggiedogma like this.
  7. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I have a few Rock Candy Reissues.
    I bought them for either their bonus material or their expanded booklet information.

I have The Georgia Satellites self titled album. I like the bonus material - it's interesting as well as the expanded booklet information. I enjoy reading about bands I like as much as listening to their music.
    It's def louder than my original Elektra CD issue.

I also have both Badlands CD's (self titled and Voodoo Highway). Both are louder than my original CD issues.
    In the case of Badlands - no bonus track material. I bought them so I could read the expanded booklet on the band which was told from the bass player's point of view.

The liners to these releases I mentioned above does not state the source from which the remastering process came from.

Here's the scans I made:

Georgia Satellites:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Here's the Badlands self titled reissue info for you to see for yourself:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Badlands - Voodoo Highway pretty much the same info as it's predecessor:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

So from a few I have shown above, it's not too clear as to the source of the material in which the remastering comes from.

Leo Lyons likes this.
  11. Leo Lyons

Leo Lyons New Member

Kinda like the way designer clothing labels hesitate to put 'made in china' on the label?

Jerk The Handle likes this.
  12. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Vital Signs sounds as clear as a bell. It's at least as good as my original vinyl.

13. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Has anyone heard the Rhino Bucket CDs from Rock Candy?

Queezma and Jimmy Agates like this.
  14. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Rhett.Appreciated. Still have my Orig.Badlands CDs(love them and glad I caught them live too!) but, I'm dyin' to read the linear notes LOL! I have Zebra s/t on Rockcandy and Montrose s/t they work for me.Until I got the AF Gold disc of Montrose!Wish AF would do Zebra........

Leo Lyons and carlwm like this.
  15. Leo Lyons

Leo Lyons New Member

Awesome that's my favourite Jimi Jameson album...!

carlwm likes this.
  16. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I've picked up a bunch of releases from Rock Candy that were otherwise new to me, but I also picked up the first four Dokken albums along with the live album, which I had a few "original" CDs to compare.

In the case of Dokken, the volume is boosted, but it's hardly brickwalled and, further, it sounds great to my ears. I can't say that speaks to everything, but it at least proves they're not going completely over the top with whatever remastering goosing they're doing. Beyond that, the packages offered by Rock Candy tend to be great, with excellent liners and great bonus material where it's an option.

17. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

The good about Rock Candy:
    1. CD booklets have awesome extensive liner notes and photos.
    2. They will release hard-to-find or never-before-on-CD titles.

The bad about Rock Candy:
    1. Expensive
    2. The majority of their releases are brickwalled with dynamics that sound like they are squashed.

A lot of this, though, depends upon what you are listening to the albums on. For example, brickwalled albums tend to do fine in a car stereo system. But if you have a more revealing system at home, everything is going to sound smooshed.

Natvecal. and Juggsnelson like this.
  18. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

The last few batches of Rock Candy releases can all be had for about $10.49 through Imports Cds. Rack in shipping and they are still pretty inexpensive on the whole. I have a ton of their releases. Either 70's stuff that I never owned back in the day (Trigger, Detective, 707) or 80's rock/metal I only ever had on cassette ( Shark Island, Sea Hags, Salty Dog, Tangier, Hughes/Thrall, Circus of Power, etc...) most of these are boosted but still sound plenty fine cranked to 11. Great booklets and often cool bonus tracks as well. For the price they are very well done.

barnabyjames1, Runicen and carlwm like this.
  19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Armored Saint - Delirious Nomad

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

That one I can recommend. AVOID their reissue of March of the Saint. Seek out an older copy of that one instead. The two albums were mastered by different engineers. Delirious Nomad sounds good because Andy Pearce worked on it.

The Hud likes this.
  20. art

art Senior Member

the ones Pearce worked on sound great

patient_ot likes this.
  21. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I wish we could get a list of all the Pearce remasters. He's one of the good guys.

He did Ace Frehley-Trouble Walkin'- I just found that used.

barnabyjames1 likes this.
  22. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

More like 50/50
    Some things are great...Blue Murder comes to mind.

Queezma likes this.
  23. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Not anymore...they have a new North American distribution deal so the new releases are now priced as any domestic title would. I think that started in late 2017 sometime.

barnabyjames1 and Curveboy like this.
  24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Two others that come to mind from RC that are great:

KIX Midnight Dynamite - blows away the original
    Yngwie Malmsteen Fire & Ice - very subtle but adds just the right amount of bass

barnabyjames1 and Jimmy Agates like this.
  25. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Sea Hags! I remember seeing their vid on the Headbangers Ball. I need to pick that one up.

Only Rock Candy one I have is Kix Midnite Dynamite. I need to pick up that 2 disc Beast from the East!

Greenalishi likes this.