Rock Documentaries

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by cgw, Jul 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I agree with a previous post that his VH1 series "Metal Evolution" was really interesting, and apparently available on disc. And he directed some stuff for Rush, maybe the titles mentioned above.

2. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Mmmm. Saw that in Oak Brook, Illinois, with "the largest theater sound system ever assembled." It was pretty crazy. But minimal interviews or so I remember. I think more a concert film than documentary, like "Shine A Light" for the Stones.

3. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Unless I missed it, there is a big failure to mention It Might Get Loud. Only seen part of it, but very captivating so far.

George P likes this.
  4. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I didn't watch the whole thing, but yeah, that stuff is kind of sad. Any time you get 20,000 people together for an event, about 5-10% of them are going to be of a criminal element and/or exhibiting disturbing behavior. And an even higher percentage will be simply drinking a lot and smoking pot but not really causing trouble other then hooting and hollering.

That kind of thing includes both concerts and sporting events. Guess what portion of the crowd would attract the cameras? I remember back then always seeing "concerned" news stories about an Ozzy Osbourne concert or something, but rarely about the even worse behavior at pro football games. I went to many concerts, and many football games, and believe me, the crowds at football games were scarier, but the local news media rarely seemed as concerned about that.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  5. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I'm glad you liked 'Metal Evolution' as I wrote most of it.

Tex_Writer likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Also superb from a technical point of view. Terrific editing, good color, fantastic source clips, good new footage, and an impeccable surround mix. I'm not a huge fan of the group, but the doc was riveting. And I'm always impressed when the subject of the film is willing to let the filmmakers stray into controversial territory, particularly when people get fired, sue, or die.

R. Cat Conrad likes this.
  7. DJMagnum4ce

DJMagnum4ce New Member

Have to highly recommend Betty Blowtorch and Her Amazing True Life Adventures.

Great rock and roll music from an all girls band. And a great introduction to the band if you've never heard them or heard OF them. Not sure if it's still on Netflix, but for sure worth a watch. Great Doc!

8. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

More Than This - The Story Of Roxy Music on youtube :righton:

9. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

"A Band Called Death" is now streaming on Netflix!

theron d likes this.
  10. Anyone who liked the doc American Movie should see Anvil - the two are very similar in their approach and subject matter (guys longer on ambition than talent trying to realise their dreams).

11. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I forgot about that one! Good call. I knew nothing about the band prior to the film and the ending completely took me by surprise. I was devastated!

12. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Wow I happen to think the Anvil guys are very talented, more talented then a very large portion of their contemporaries.

13. Really! I was familiar with Anvil when they were somewhat on the ascendant in the early '80s, and even then I thought they were a joke. Spinal Tap ain't got nothing on that Lips character.

14. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

There is a wonderful paraphrasing of something Mark Twain wrote, which is "Truth is stranger than fiction, because truth doesn't have to make sense."

Dudley Morris likes this.
  15. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Yes really. Lips is goofy but musically they are far from short on talent.

16. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

That's on par with the best and light years ahead of what most bands were doing in 1981. Even if you don't like them there is clearly talent there.

17. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

After reading this I'm now interested in seeing it, thank you.

18. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Yeah I just watched the Eagles doc, really good. My god the hatred Frey has for Felder is almost palpable. I don't think I ever seen a doc with so many people who had falling outs actually participating.

Vidiot likes this.
  19. I won't deny that there was talent there - like with drummer Robb Reiner, who had offers from successful acts. But as long as a joke like "Lips" Kudlow was calling the shots, the best they could hope to be was a punchline or footnote, which has proved to be the case.

20. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Yes however you said they had no talent. So you just agreed with my first reply to you and just disagreed with your original statement. They clearly have talent.

21. Not at all. I said they were a joke whose ambitions outstripped their talent - perhaps with some talent in the sidemen, but still a joke. To parse it more: there may be some instrumental skill there, but in terms of quality original songs? Forget it. At their stone-cold best, they didn't get much beyond "OK, I guess". IMHO, of course.

22. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

You realize that we can go back and read what you said right?

If you didn't mean what you said fine, but stop trying to constantly reframe what you said to make me look wrong.

23. You realize that this forum has an edit function, right? You should wait a few minutes before trying to get yer digs in.

24. Thanks so much for posting about this! I watched it last night and what a GREAT GREAT story and man I love these guys....they ROCK! I just ordered "For All The World To See" from Amazon cuz I loved every second of the music I heard. The whole story kinda makes me like Clive Davis even less than I already do though.

25. AKA Bubbleup

AKA Bubbleup Forum Resident

Tom Dowd and the Language of Music -by far one of the more interesting figures in the production world.

Everyday Sunshine - The Story of Fishbone - A band that should have been a big as Sly and the Family Stone (and where they are today). I wish there was more footage of d'Bone in their heyday which would exemplify the impact they had on the 80's alt rock scene. A bitter sweet story, well done

Fearless Freaks - Flaming Lips

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.