Rock mistakes you’ve caught in movies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bataclan2002, Feb 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now. Thread Starter

That scene in Fast Times at Ridgemont High has always bugged me:
    When Mike is giving Mark tips on how to score on a date and he tells him, “if all else fails put on side 2 of Led Zeppelin 4”
    Then the scene cuts to Mark driving in his car with the girl and Kashmir is blasting away.

This could be a mistake but I’ve often wondered if it’s not. Surely Cameron Crowe knows his LZ 4 from Physical Graffiti, no?

My explanation is that the dialogue sounded better with him saying “side 2 Of Led Zeppelin 4” but the scene needed an immediately identifiable riff like “Kashmir” so they went with it. They thought most viewers wouldn’t know the difference!

What mistakes have you caught in movies that they thought you wouldn’t notice?

2. RandyP

RandyP Forum Resident

The movie Pirate Radio has a lot of them. Supposedly set in 1966, they play songs that weren't released until the later part of the decade and beyond. Still a cool movie.

3. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

For years and years I dismissed that error in Fast Times... on the either the writer or the the script supervisor, but a few years ago it dawned on me that if "Rat" is so naïve about women, he is probably equally as naïve about rock music (much less, Led Zeppelin). So now instead of an awkward moment in the movie for the writers, it's a funny moment about a clueless guy trying to be cool on a date.

impalaboy, bandguy, RangerXT and 50 others like this.
  4. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Exactly! He didn’t follow the advice he was given.

5. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

LZIV = score on date
    Physical Graffiti = epic fail

6. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Did Gary Busy play a single '50s Strat in The Buddy Holly Story? I remember a Tele with a rosewood fretboard (Buddy never played a Telephone and the ones with rosewood didn't come out until '61 or so), a red Mustang, and a Strat with the big late '60s/'70s headstock.

Pathetic.

7. Monosterio

This Rolling Stone article explains the use of “Kashmir” in Fast Times:
    This Time Cameron Crowe Gets Zeppelin for Movie Soundtrack

8. Listen to the commentary track in the Fast Times DVD, the explanation is there.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  9. Monosterio

It’s not what the Rolling Stone article says?

mr.datsun likes this.
  10. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Man!I have seen sooooo many over the many decades,mainly technical mistakes.But, For the life of me I can't recall any right now!LOL.

My POV is I grew up playing guitar. So, I can spot anyone playing guitar(and bass) to even drums not following what the soundtrack is playing that they (the actors) are supposedly pretending to play to(or with).Does that work for this thread?
    Examples would be a drum fill heard but actor is seen just playing the beat.Guitar high notes/chords played but actor is viewed still playing between 1st and 3rd fret positions. Walking Bass-line groove heard going but actor filmed just fretting one note only. If that makes sense? I've been in bands and played a long time(like many others on this forum) so, it is a treat to see an actor either actually know what they are doing/really playing along with soundtrack or are coached the "Right "way to fake it and still give off the illusion they are somewhat playing to the soundtrack of the scene. Even,to actors really playing in the scene(no soundtrack over dub.) is a big "Yeah!" from me when watching :laugh:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    slipkid, RangerXT, mschrist and 5 others like this.
  11. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

I don't know if this quite fits the criteria, but some of the portrayals of rock stars on Vinyl were horrifically terrible. Especially the one where they meet with Led Zeppelin. The Plant and Peter Grant portrayals were awful.

hi_watt, Dave Hoos and Dudley Morris like this.
  12. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

Backbeat was ridden with inaccuracies, like having John singing Long Tall Sally (which really irritated Paul, according to The Beatles Anthology book). Also, I think it glossed over the circumstances on how Stu joined the band, and how they got Pete at the last minute before leaving for Hamburg.

13. Just about the entire Doors movie.

Jimmy B., zen, RangerXT and 15 others like this.
  14. kevinsponge

kevinsponge Senior Member

In the film Summer of Sam, the ‘Who fan’ character is rockin out to
    Who’ Next but it’s an ‘80’s blue sky MCA pressing, in the summer of ‘77?!?
    Man, I almost walked out of the theater!

Ryan Lux, Kristofa, slipkid and 28 others like this.
  15. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

Yeah,the best part was when Jim throws a TV set at Ray. Hahahaha,That was actually funny. Why not have 3 TV sets to throw at all of them? Especially Matt Dillon.

bzfgt and Blue Note like this.
  16. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Not sure if this counts...
    And I haven't seen the movie since it came out but...

I remember thinking that in the movie "Eddie And The Cruisers" no one was using technology to make albums they way they did in the movie, at the time it took place.

I could be wrong about that, and maybe that was the point of the movie, I haven't seen it since (checks date) 1983.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    bzfgt and Thwacko like this.
  17. Well this on a TV show and it isn't a fact per se. "Lost" shows a character put on a CD and what we hear is "Do You Know The Way To San Jose" but the cover art is for Talking Heads "Speaking in Tongues".

18. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

"Gimme some DEATH!!!" Ugh

a customer, Blue Note and Flynbryan like this.
  19. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

If you can find a woman that appreciates Physical Graffiti, make sure you hold on to her. She's a keeper!

Women who like IV are a dime a dozen. Of course, that is great value for your dime if you can get the whole dozen. Just be sure to keep your receipt.

20. hellion

hellion Forum Resident

Bingo! we have a winner , it’s a joke , it took people over thirty years to figure that out

21. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

Hahahaha. We should start a thread about The Doors movie. Oliver Stone!!! Ugh!!!

Drifter, Man at C&A, RangerXT and 2 others like this.
  22. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

who knew peter grant weighed about 130? :uhhuh:
    Julian Casablanca did a good lou reed tough

23. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

"Pamela Courson: Ornament!"

24. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

In the 1996 movie The Rock, Nicholas Cage plays a self-proclaimed "Beatlemaniac", who is seen opening a $600 vinyl copy of "Meet The Beatles". He explains that lps sound better than CDs.

Obviously this is not the case.
    *Ducks*

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    havenz, RangerXT, mschrist and 12 others like this.
  25. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Not a mistake so much as an irony for this example,
    Crossroads (1986 film)
    The main star Eugene(Ralph Macchio) duels against The Devil's guitarist Jack Butler (Steve Vai) at the end of the movie trading lead riffs to see if the one can play the other's best/fastest/hardest riffs until one or the other can't. And Eugene beats Jack with a riff Jack can't play. The irony for me was the riff was really Steve Vai's riff overdubbed to Ralph Macchio's pretending to play it against Steve Vai's character who fumbles/stumbles and can't figure out how to play it.In which I felt Steve did a better job "acting" like he couldn't play the riff than Ralph did "acting " like he could play it :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.