Rock Movies from the '60s

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JonUrban, May 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member

The Fastest Guitar Alive

One big problem with the film: It's set in the 1800's, so Roy couldn't wear his shades!

2. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

The T.A.M.I. Show was the earlier movie. The TNT was the next year. I saw the TAMI is a small mississippi theatre, I loved it at the time, as I had never been to a concert . It was shot on video, and transferred to film, hence the bogus term "electronovision", displayed largely on the posters. Wasn't there a edited video version with a different name released in the eighties?.

I only know about it because I read about it in Psychotronic Magazine, but there was a Spencer Davis Group Movie too, called "The Ghost Goes Gear".

3. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Riot on Sunset Strip - great soundtrack with The Standells and Chocolate Watchband chipping in; for ULTRA obscure, howzabout Arch Hall Jr's magnum opus Wild Guitar???? Rhino has it out on DVD, paired with another Arch classic The Choppers - get it and get with it, dad!!!

4. reechie

reechie Senior Member

And don't forget Arch's 1962 classic Eegah!, available in both straight, and MST3K versions (Crow: "He walked out on his own song!")
    :laugh:

5. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

I can't believe no one has mentioned the classic "The Ghost Goes Gear" starring the Spencer Davis Group!! Also featuring Acker Bilk, the Lorne Gibson Trio (with Lorne as the Ghost), David Berry, the Three Bells (ooo-la-la), St.Louis Mission, & the M-6. I found this last summer at Media Play for $2.99 and it includes an audio commentary track with Spencer Davis & humorist Martin Lewis.
    I have it sitting between two other classics, Citizen Kane & Plan 9 from Outerspace

6. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Bob, there was a version that combined the TAMI and TNT shows. I can't recall the title at this time. I need to do a little research.

Thet TAMI shows was great and exciting at the time. My friends and I saw it four times. Hard to believe there was a time when VCRs didn't exist. We never thought we'd see it again.

mud-

7. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

The video that combined the TAMI and TNT shows was called "That Was Rock-The TAMI & TNT Show" which was hosted by Chuck Berry. It came out in 1984 and has most of but not all of the segments from both films. Great movie but one of my major beefs with it was the soundtrack is in re-channeled stereo rather than the original mono sound.

8. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Thanks, Jeff! I have it laser disc. I love those performances.

mud-

9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Speaking of MST3K, there's The Catalina Caper from 1967, featuring Little Richard singing "Scuba Party", as well as the Cascades performing an unreleased Ray Davies song.

10. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

No prob mud.:D Wish I had a laserdisc copy. Copied mine from one, one of my all time favorite rock movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.