Rock 'n' roll autoharps, dulcimers and zithers!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maxbialystock, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leopoldstotch

leopoldstotch New Member

Bill Wyman plays autoharp on the song Let It Bleed

2. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I remember a band back in the 70s that featured a woman who played autoharp. They were called Michaelangelo and they had an FM-radio hit of sorts with the song "Son" on their album "One Voice Many." I remember really liking their sound, but I never picked up the album, unfortunately. I see there is a copy on eBay with the category label "Soft Psych." Kind of a hippie-looking album. Besides the girl there are three men with long hair, one white guy with an afro hairdo like Clapton had for awhile in Cream.

3. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Wow--Michaelangelo! I've got their album. NRBQ's then-road manager Dominic Placco was somehow connected to one of the young women in that band and then-Q drummer Tom Staley and bassist Joey Spampinato played on several tracks on their lp.

My favorite rock autoharp is on the song "Lake Hope" from the psych folk and oh-so-much-more "Definition" lp by the band Chrysalis on MGM Records. They were one of Frank Zappa's favorites and Chrysalis leader Spider Barbour can be heard talking about Pigs and Ponies on "Lumpy Gravy".

4. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I think I'm gonna buy the one on eBay in near mint condition. The girl Autoharp player in the band was named Angel and she apparently wrote all the music, according to the credits. So it must have been based around the autoharp sound to quite a degree, is that correct?

5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I meant Maybelle plays the autoharp on the Nitty Gritty Dirt band's WTCBU album. I wasn't referring to the original Carter Family recordings.

6. Surfin Jesus

Surfin Jesus New Member

7. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Have to confess that I haven't listened to the lp in decades and can't rightly recall. My only recollection is that I thought the music was okay, but not great. How much is the copy on eBay?

8. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

Rory Gallagher plays a great dulcimer on the song "Philby" (Top Priority).

9. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

A little too much - $29. But I want it for nostalgia purposes. I used to hear a track from it on my local free-form progressive FM station in Minneapolis when I was a lad. It's not too bad a price if it is near-mint as advertised. I actually saw a copy for sale at another website for $489, or something like that. Outrageous! :bigeek:

10. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Um, Richard Thompson.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.