DCC Archive Rock Of The 70's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lukpac, Oct 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member Thread Starter

Was this whole series mastered by Steve (for that matter, where *any*)? Vol 5 with Layla sure looks tempting, as do some of the others...

2. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Luke,
    Surprisingly,Volume 5 is the only one I have in this series. It WAS mastered by Steve Hoffman (I believe the others were too?!). I know in a previous topic that someone mentioned the Chamber Bros. song Time has Come Today was a Radio Version, but it is actually the LONG 11:02 Version.

More specifically, the back of the CD case says: Compilation produced and engineered for compact disc by Steve Hoffman. The original 2-track master mixes were used, it goes on to say.

[ October 15, 2001: Message edited by: Pat ]

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member Thread Starter

I'll have to get that one!

A few of the other volumes looked kind of nice as well (vol. 2 in particular). I'd be interested in hearing that version of My Back Pages!

4. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

I've got all 5 and they are all super. Probably the coolest cut is "Undone" by The Guess Who that has the piano intro that I had never heard before.
    The series was actually put out twice. Once it was called "Rock of the 70s" on the DCC lable and before that on the Sandstone lable it was called Reelin' In The Years. The songs are all the same, but the order is different on the discs.

5. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

I just went back to Luke's -Layla topic...and I see the link to Amazon.com that Holyzoo posted. Now I see where the error on Time Has Come Today comes from! As I mentioned above, the version of this song is the 11:02 "long" version (not radio version(s) of 3 to 5 minutes!). Volume 5 is a nice disc, especially if you need any of this material. I don't know if Layla will be anything of a "drastic" improvement though, compared to other discs. Overall, I'd say a strong B+ at least, though! :)

Also, can anyone comment if the Reelin' In The Years (original series title)CDs were definitely mastered by Steve H or not?!

[ October 15, 2001: Message edited by: Pat ]

6. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Is this a DCC product? Where can I find more on it (track listings, etc.)?

7. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

8. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

Yes it is on the Rock of the 70s. On the original Sandstone series called Reelin' In The Years which has the same songs in a different order, it has the SHORT 3:25 version.

9. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Thanks for the info on the short version of THCT on the Sandstone release. Does this disc say Steve Hoffman did it? I'm wondering if he just mastered the Rock of the '70s CDs (or BOTH series).

Also, something I noticed on the Amazon link that I posted above is what looks like a "duplicate titled" but entirely different series called Rock of The '70s. The brown rock-framed CDs are the DCC ones...the white colored Volume 1,"guitar-picture" CD that Amazon shows is something else altogether! Different songs, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.