Rock stars in good films?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Roland Stone, Apr 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member Thread Starter

While rock stars appear in all too many movies as themselves, or as criminals in disposable exploitation roles, I was trying to think of those infrequent appearances in which the musician plays a character, and manages to eke out a respectable performance in a good movie.

My first choice would be the John Mellencamp vanity production, FALLING FROM GRACE. This movie was a pleasant surprise, since judging from his videos and interviews, I thought Mellencamp limited to striking poses from the Paul Newman film, HUD. (Anyone who wants to understand the sources for the SCARECROW album needs to see HUD, which includes the line, "It's a lonely old night, but ain't they all.")

FALLING FROM GRACE follows Mellencamp's character, a big country music star, back to a high school reunion in Indiana -- real stretch, right? His arrival re-ignites old rivalries and resentments among the family and friends who didn't escape their small town. His success is especially nettlesome to Mellencamp's father, played by Claude Raines, in an uncharacteristically unsympathetic role. Raines is everything Mellencamp ran away from, and everything he may become.

The film's secret weapon is a Larry McMurtry script, who wrote the novel HORSEMAN, PASS BY, on which HUD was based. There may have been some quid pro quo here: Mellencamp produced TOO LONG IN THE WASTELAND, the debut album from Larry McMurtry's son, James, at about the same time. McMurtry made Mellencamp's character a relatively inert cipher, so Mellencamp the uncomfortable actor looks like an uncomfortable prodigal, unsure how to act around the "real" people of his past.

Not yet released on DVD, the film also includes a stellar soundtrack.

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Some other not-too-shabby (IMO) performances by rock stars:

Dennis Wilson in Two-Lane Blacktop
    Mick Jagger in Performance and Ned Kelly
    David Bowie in The Man Who Fell To Earth
    David Essex and Keith Moon in That'll Be The Day

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Cliff Richard in EXPRESSO BONGO (1960)

Morris Day and Jermone Benton in PURPLE RAIN (1984)

The first is a lost british gem with Laurence Harvey; the second, these two guys acquit themselves well where everyone else--including the star--could not act to save their lives.

ED:cool:

4. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Sting - DUNE

Not necessarily his best acting. I liked him better in BRIMSTONE & TREACLE but nonetheless a cool film.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The movie itself was only so-so, but Jagger was absolutely excellent in "The Man From Elysian Fields". Also, it's not a movie, but I always loved Bowie's dual performance in the long-form "Jazzin' for Blue Jean" video...

6. Ed Bishop

Bobby Darin in HELL IS FOR HEROES(1962) and CAPTAIN NEWMAN, M.D.
    (1963).

The first better than the second; one of the more interesting war films of its time.

7. Ed Bishop

David Bowie in TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME
    and Chris Isaak in the same film....

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Dennis Wilson and James Taylor-Two Lane Blacktop. Is this like one Movie per post?

9. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I just saw Hell Is For Heroes for the first time about a month ago, and couldn't get over how good it was. You're right, Darin gives a very good performance, as does star Steve McQueen.

On the other hand, as much as I'm a fan of Bob Newhart, trying to work his telephone routine into the middle of a gritty war pic was an ill-conceived move if ever there was one... :rolleyes:

10. Michael

John, George, Paul and Ringo-Help!

11. Ed Bishop

Elvis in JAILHOUSE ROCK and KING CREOLE.

Uncertain about LOVE ME TENDER, though he does pretty well for a rookie in a B-western...

12. Michael

Sorry double posting...

13. Michael

Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid-Bob Dylan Does Bob count?

14. Michael

All OfThe Elvis Movies! I think he did a grea job in everyone!...

15. Ed Bishop

Yeah, but save RENALDO AND CLARA for the MOVIE YOU CAN'T STAND thread. It fits!:rolleyes:

16. Michael

He's lucky he only played an alias in PGABTK! I thought he was hilarious! He wrote a great soundtrack though...Overall, I enjoyed his performance...I just like Bob!

17. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Bowie did good work in "Labyrinth" too.

I'm gonna stick my neck out here and mention John Denver in "Dear God". A cute movie and a surprisingly charming performance by the late singer.

Hey, has anyone mentioned a certain Mr. Frank Sinatra yet? :cool:

(Ok, not a "rock" star, but he rocks ;))

Dan C

18. Calavera

Calavera New Member

Debby Harry in "Videodrome" was a great casting choice, anybody seen this movie???

19. Ed Bishop

Frank Sinatra in THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE and THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM. His two best as an actor, IMO.

And yeah, he kinda 'rocked':D

Close enough for jazz, anyway:p

20. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Hard to classify Tom Waits in any music, guess he might as well be "rock". He's turned in some interesting performances, I'd love to see more of his acting.
    http://www.officialtomwaits.com/acting.htm
    Dan C

21. Michael

When did Sinatra ever Rock?

22. Michael

Following ED's one post per Movie...Al Jolson-The Jazz Singer...The First Talkie with MUSIC!

23. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Dylan "Hearts Of Fire" with the lovely Fiona.

mud-

24. Ed Bishop

The Dave Clark Five in HAVING A WILD WEEKEND. This MUST make it to DVD eventually....very, very underrated, and good acting by all the group.

25. Michael

If Sinatra Rocks then Dino's a Metal God!
    Dean Martin-Rough Night In Jerico! Dino's a bad boy in this one...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.