Rock stars in good films?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Roland Stone, Apr 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Ah, good call! He was in The Right Stuff, as well. And that naturally reminds me that Robbie Robertson was in Carny.

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

David Fincher also cast Dwight Yoakam in Panic Room.

Regards,

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

"Almost Famous" had small parts for Peter Frampton and Pete Droge.

Does Jack Black count as a rock star due to Tenacious D? :)

Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers was in "The Big Lebowski", "Back to the Future Part II" and "Part III", "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", "My Own Private Idaho", and quite a few others.

Regards,

4. downhill

downhill Senior Member

Tina Turner in "Beyond Thunderdome" with Mel Gibson. The third Mad Max movie.

Not that the movie was 4 stars but I thought Tina was great! I've a promo LP from that movie, with a poster inside.....I should frame it..chain mail and all. :D

5. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Did anybody mention David Crosby as one of the pirates in Hook?:confused: :cool:

6. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Can't believe nobody has mentioned this one yet:

RHCP Anthony Kiedis was in Point Break .

Also, actor Michael Des Barres used to be in the glitter band Silverhead.

[​IMG]

I also believe his (ex?) wife wrote that notorious groupie book.

Peace,
    Norm

7. :agree: :thumbsup:
    Yes he did sir. At Internet Movie Database John is credited with appearances in 46 films including his musical work with X. He at least on one occasion has had a staring roll in the film Roadside Prophets with another musician Adam Horovitz from the Beastie Boys. Oh and I almost forgot. Arlo Guthrie is in this film as is John Cusak, Timothy Leary, David Carradine, and Don Cheadle. Directed by Abbe Wool who wrote Sid And Nancy. This is another film that needs an upgrade to DVD.

Two plot summaries for those who haven't seen it yet.

The adventures of Joe (John Doe) and his tag-along companion Sam (Adam Horovitz) as they journey to Jackpot, Nevada to bury a tank containing the ashes of Joe's friend Dave. Along the way they encounter bandits, strippers, hippies and redneck cops that make their desert trek the trip of a lifetime.

Hip road movie about two drifters traveling by motorcycle to Nevada. Stylish, nostalgic-for-the-60s travelogue pleases fans of the offbeat seeking colorful characters and wry commentary on pop culture.

Check out this film if you haven't seen it. Might still be able to find it at a specialty video rental store.

Attached Files:

8. Got any extree tins of that potted meat? I liked the movie too, I reckon. :laugh: Speaking of Dwight Yokam, he was the detective in the flashback scenes in that creepy 1999 movie The Minus Man starring Owen Wilson. Sheryl Crow makes an appearance in this film as 'Casper' the local drunk/floozy in a small town roadside bar. I believe this is her only movie appearance to date. I thought she was excellent. Hope to see her on the big screen again sometime.
    Ah, um, David what's his name?... :laugh: Sakamoto recently scored the movie Femme Fatale. He's only been in 4 movies in total and you mentioned 2 of them. Last seen in the 1998 movie New Rose Hotel. Great story by William Gibson, but the movie wasn't as good despite a decent cast featuring Chris Walken, Willam Dafoe, Asia Argento, and another musician John Lurie of Lounge Lizards fame. Lurie has also been in Down By Law, Last Temptation of Christ, Paris Texas, and Wild At Heart among others.

I'm a fan of actress Diane Lane. IMHO she was robbed at the recent Oscars. Her performance in Unfaithful was outstanding. I saw all 5 Best Actress performances and would have given her the statue.

Lane was in a little known "rock & roll/punk" movie back in 1981 called Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains.

Plot summary
    Corrine Burns (Lane) retreats far into plans for her band, The Fabulous Stains, after her mother's death. So far that she gets them (she and two cousins) on a tour with a washed-out glam-rock group and a rising British punk band, radically changes her appearance, attracts a cult following and national media attention. With luck like this, what could go wrong?

The washed-out glam rock group featured Fee Waybill and Vince Welnick of The Tubes. The rising British punk band included Paul Cook and Steve Jones (Sex Pistols), and Paul Simmonon (Clash). John Lydon and Joe Strummer also made appearances in the movie. And for you Star Trek completists, Brent Spiner has an uncredited role in the movie as Diane Lane's boss. The film was directed by Lou Adler and co-written by Jonathan Demme.

9. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

Not a rock star at all, but Donnie Walhberg in the AWESOME HBO mini series "Band Of Brothers". That mini series on DVD is a MUST see, even if you aren't in to WWII or history.

10. Haven't seen that yet, but Walhberg was also very good as Vincent Grey in "The Sixth Sense". He had to lose 20 pounds for the role.

His brother Marky Mark (also not a rock star) :laugh: isn't too shabby as an actor either in such films as "Basketball Diaries", "Fear", "Boogie Nights", and most recently in "The Truth About Charlie". I quite liked that film.

A friend and I saw "The Phone Booth" last night. Two big :thumbsup: from us. We were treated to about 5 or 6 trailers before the film for some of the up and coming spring blockbuster movies. Included in the bunch was Mark Walhberg's new film, The Italian Job also starring Edward Norton, Seth Green, Donald Sutherland, and Charlize Theron :love:. If the trailer is any indication of how the film is, it should be a good one.

11. :agree: :thumbsup:
    Ray Davies was also the dad in Absolute Beginners. The film features no less than 5 musicians/singers. Besides Davies, there's David Bowie, Sandie Shaw, Sade, and Edward Tudor-Pole. You may know his as Eddie Tenpole-Tudor, leader of the early 1980s U.K. band Tenpole Tudor.

The Rutles featured musicians John Halsey (drummer Barry Wom) and the late Ollie Hassel (as Lepo the 5th Rutle and the singing voice of Dirk McQuickly) both of the 1970s U.K. prog rock band Patto. Ricky or Rikki Fataar (Beach Boys/Flame) as he was billed in this movie, played Stig O'Hara. Ronnie Wood from the Stones has a cameo in the Rutles as a Hell's Angel. That scene is quite funny. Mick Jagger and Paul Simon play themselves in the made for TV movie.
    A few years ago he started tagging his real last name to the marquee, Meat Loaf Aday. Now he's using Michael Lee Aday. The Steve Martin preacher movie is 1992's Leap Of Faith.
    Art Garfunkel or Arthur as he is sometimes credited was also in Catch 22 and Carnal Knowledge.

Michael Hutchence from INXS had the lead role in an Australian punk movie from the late 1980s called Dogs In Space. Haven't seen it in years, but I enjoyed it at the time. May be a little dated now.

Attached Files:

12. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Don't forget that one also featured a cameo from George Harrison, who once belonged to some obscure Rutlesque group whose name escapes me at the moment. :confused:

Joe Strummer, Mick Jones, and Paul Simonon of the Clash, along with Pearl Harbour (of New Wave one-hit wonders Pearl Harbour and the Explosions) and Ellen Foley (Meat Loaf's co-vocalist on "Paradise By The Dashboard Light"), all had cameos as "street scum" in Scorcese's The King of Comedy.

13. Mike, look closely at the quote above my Rutles information. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.