Rockford Files coming to DVD in December

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by pig whisperer, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member Thread Starter

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I wonder if the set will include the pilot movie, which had a different actor as Rocky?

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

That was a great TV series!

4. Andrew T.

Andrew T. Out of the Vein

I watched The Rockford Files when reruns were being shown on A&E in the mid-'90s. Great show!

5. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Perhaps, the best detective show ever.

6. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

every show was great, not a clinker in the bunch. no other show i can think of had that record.

and it was actually the best in the final year before garner quit suddenly due to conflicts and health. what other show can claim that?

7. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

And, of course, that theme music by Mike Post was "the shizznit" (as the kids say).

8. pig whisperer

He was a believable private eye because he would get beat up and pushed around sometimes. He was street-smart, but not a Superman.

9. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

That classic flooring his Firebird in reverse and doing the 180degree turn around was cool.
    :)

10. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

I thought The Practice was the best in the final year due to Spader's amazing performance.

Nevertheless, i understand & agree w/ your point regarding Rockfish! :thumbsup:

Take care,
    Jeffrey

11. Winter Hugohalter

Winter Hugohalter New Member

He was hit over the head so many times when he'd enter his trailer in the dark he should have suffered permanent brain damage!

12. Winter Hugohalter

Winter Hugohalter New Member

Amazing how many times that car was shot full of holes,blown up,went over a cliff and always managed to get repaired,good as new!

13. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Now we need William Conrad's Cannon!!

14. pig whisperer

It was mentioned that Garner did quit for health reasons :laugh:

15. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

:laugh: His car insurance musta been Hell.

16. pig whisperer

17. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I loved that show too. My favourite episode was the one that involved two would-be young small-time crooks. It played out like a Springsteen song, say, Meeting Across the River. It became perfect when, at the end of the episode, after Jim Garner had straightened and helped the kids out, there was a reference to them going to a Springsteen show.

18. easyge

easyge Senior Member

Yeah, I will be picking this up...Rockford was too cool.

19. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Along with Veronica Mars. :righton:

20. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Rockford Files was one of my all time favorite shows. I've never bought a TV series on DVD before (except for The Tick but that's a different story) but I may have to buy this one.

21. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

The series looks great on Netflix. Has anyone who has seen the DVD's and also seen the show on Netflix? If so, how does the picture quality compare?

Also, I've read that Season 1 used double-sided DVD's and had skipping issues. Is this true?

If the Season 1 DVD's had skipping issues did they ever correct it?

From Season 2 onward all the discs are regular one-sided DVD's. Oddly, the pilot episode is on the Season 2 DVD as a bonus feature instead of being on the Season 1 DVD.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  22. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I am re-watching the whole series. My DVDs had the skipping issues for Season 1, Disc 1 (I got these early on, and I'm not sure if they were later re-done), so I ended up watching some of the episodes on Netflix, which looked very good, but had a lot more color than the DVDs -- maybe too much color, but it's hard to say much beyond that since I Netflixed it only briefly -- I prefer watching anything on DVD or Blu Ray. And I'm used to the Rockford DVDs picture, which is overall very good, so I'll be using Netflix only as a backup for DVD problems. I wasn't knocked out by any difference between Netflix and the DVDs.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    artfromtex likes this.
  23. Could be they remastered them for high def or just boosted the colors since the originals looked accurate to how I remember them looking on TV. They might be doing this to make them "look" a bit more control parry. I had heard that the double sides DVD's were later made si gle sided but I didn't buy any to find out for that first season.

This is because they forgot to include it on season one. Upset fans let them know and (along with TV on DVD owner Gord Lacey) and they added it asaspecial feature on season two.

artfromtex likes this.
  24. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

How about the episodes that have Tom Selleck playing Lance White?
    Hilarious :laugh:

artfromtex likes this.
  25. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Thanks for all the info, y'all. I'm going to try and find out if they ever changed the production on Season 1 to single sided discs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.