**Rockpile- Seconds of Pleasure**- Official album discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JuniorNB, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JuniorNB

JuniorNB Active Member Thread Starter

The second album I'd like to discuss is Seconds of Pleasure by Nick Lowe and Dave Edmonds 'supergroup' Rockpile.

In the U.S., the only song that received much airplay was "Teacher, Teacher", which is a shame, as this album has so much more to offer.

Some of my other favorites are "Heart", "Pet You and Hold You", and "When I Write The Book".

If you like the sound od Lowe's Labour of Love album, then this is a must-have.

Question for guys from other countries, were there any other chart singles from this album where you are from?

2. Jim Foy

Jim Foy Forum Resident

"Teacher, Teacher" was the only number I heard on the radio over here (Denmark, Europe).
    A nice little album but all the songs seems a little rushed so I'm almost out of breath when having listnened to it.
    I prefer Dave Edmunds "Repeat When Necessary" and "Twangin'" to this one ...

3. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

You may be aware of this but in case everyone doesn't:

Rockpile wasn't really a supergroup. All of Edmond's albums beginning with "Tracks On Wax" and all of Lowe's up to that point had been Rockpile albums. It was a contractual mess that required the group to make the records as they were for the two different labels. "Seconds Of Pleasure" was the 'first' Rockpile album because the legal situation had changed.

I like the album a lot. The songs you mention are as good as most anything released by Nick or Dave under their own names.

4. JuniorNB

Actually, I didn't know that. I always thought they were popular before forming Rockpile. Good info.

5. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Just a nit picky thing... it's Dave Edmunds.

Defintiely not a super group in the traditional sense of the word but I guess for pub rocks fans it was a good match up. Billy Bremner had made a shot at a solo career but was mostly doing studio work.

6. Jim Foy

Jim Foy Forum Resident

jstraw wrote: "Rockpile wasn't really a supergroup. All of Edmond's albums beginning with "Tracks On Wax" and all of Lowe's up to that point had been Rockpile albums. It was a contractual mess that required the group to make the records as they were for the two different labels. "Seconds Of Pleasure" was the 'first' Rockpile album because the legal situation had changed."

A very good point.
    I even seem to recall that on the back of Dave Edmunds' albums it says "A Rockpile Production" ...
    The funny (or sad) thing was that when the legal situation finally changed and they could record as "Rockpile" then they only made one album, Nick and Dave got uptight with each other and that was end of story.
    What a shame.

7. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I love the album. I also have the original lead-off single, on F-Beat: "Wrong Way" c/w "Now And Always" (<- that song is probably my favorite - great harmonies on that one).

8. Bruce

Bruce Senior Member

Great group and album
    When I was stationed in England, I remember listening to a BBC radio show special to promote the album, I think the guest were Terry Williams and Billy Bremmer,they were very funny.
    All I remember after all this time is ,they wanted to call the record,Rockabilly and Rockaterry
    and they may mention that the actual title ,Seconds of Pleasure, was a description of Nick Lowe's love life

9. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Knife and Fork has been a popular Southern Beach Music Shag Dancing cut. I just listened to the deluxe edition last week.

10. serge

serge Forum Resident

One of my favorites... I have like 8 copies of this...

One thing I really love about this is that Edmunds had the bright idea of covering a Chuck Berry track (OH what a thrill) which CHuck recorded for his last album which had jjust come out (rock it)... whats cool also is that the cover smokes the original because edmunds/lowe produced it perfectly....

i always thought it would have been really cool if edmunds had produced chuck berry!

11. JuniorNB

They also had the good sense to record a Difford and Tillbrook song for the album.

Tom34772 likes this.
  12. serge

serge Forum Resident

who has the bonus ep that came with the first pressing by the way???

13. hifidelitybill

hifidelitybill Forum Resident

..One of my fave albums..Dave Edmunds was quoted as saying "Billy Bremmer should have sung all the songs on this album"...

14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

got rid of it when the cd came out. It was a studio track, and three songs from a very enjoyable BBC session where Dave and Nick played acoustic.

15. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

That would be this I believe:

[​IMG]

I still have mine. I think I played it once. :laugh:

16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I enjoy this lp a lot, but it's a shame there are so many covers (probably due to the fact they had used so many originals on their solo things). It's very enjoyable, if a little White Album-ish (the Dave songs sound very different from the Nick ones). I too love this version of Heart. The guitar solo is one of my favorites. I don't think they improved on the Squeeze version of Wrong Again, though.

I had always heard that Dave really disliked Jake Rivera and that when the legal hurtles were cleared and Rivera seemed to be stepping in as the group's manager/guru, Dave couldn't take any more.

17. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

I loved that song I think it was called "You Ain't Nothing But Fine". Great, good old fashioned rock and roll song.

Saw them live several times and they were really great. Billy Bremner doesn't get enough credit. Believe Terry Williams ended up with Dire Straits. Also, a great, underrated drummer.

Those pre Rockpile Dave Edmunds albums were pretty great too! (as were the Nick Lowes, but I still prefer Dave's).

18. Alan G

Alan G More A Lurker Than A Poster

So how does the original US vinyl stack compared to the Deluxe
    Edition cd?

Alan

19. smarone313

smarone313 Forum Resident

As much as Nick's music has changed (matured?) since the 80s, this is the one band that I would love to see reform. I think kids today should have the priviledge of seeing the last great rock and roll (as opposed to rock) band in the flesh. I remember in the spring of '78 a triple bill tour coming to town - Elvis Costello/Mink De Ville/Nick Lowe and Rockpile. Hard to believe that they would be third billed! Harder still to know they won the crowd over that night. 5 months later, I saw them open for Van Morrison as Dave Edmunds and Rockpile. Always a great live act, their records never captured their true thunder and momentum. Not that the records were bad (they had to be great cuz I bought every single one), but live they were killer. Seconds of Pleasure initially disappointed me because it did not sound like Rockpile. After years of therapy, I am able to enjoy this final parting gift from a great band.

20. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I saw Dave Edmunds and Rockpile in 1977 as openers for Bad Company, neither band was that great. I saw the "Rockpile" Seconds of Pleasure tour in 1979 at a small club and they rocked!! Moon Martin opened and he was also good.

21. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

I have mine too.

22. mfidelity

mfidelity Senior Member

I loved the EP as well as the LP. The UK LP had great packaging with the EP slipped into a die-cut pouch on the front cover. Anyone have a photo?

Dave

23. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

Now And Always is a powerful and introspective lament, but the lyrics confuse me somewhat.

24. glea

glea Forum Resident

We were just talking about Rockpile over on the Audities List...

I know Terry Williams from his days with Man, a band I saw play numerous times in the Bay Area. I'd also encountered Edmunds back in 1975. As a result I saw them play live a number of times. Always great, if not amazing. I think by the time they got to do a proper Rockpile lp, they were burnt out. If you remember from 1976 to 1980 they'd done four of Dave's lp, Nick had done two, and they'd done a Carlene Carter lp. And then Seconds Of Pleasure. Repeat and Labor Of Lust were done at the same time, just after returning from a long US tour. Add to this, non-stop drinking and other tomfoolery, and you are looking at an implosion. Repeat is good. Look at all the great songs you have mentioned. It just seemed a little clinical compared to the previous ones.

I don't know if anyone remembers their only US TV appearance on the show Fridays. They played two from the lp, plus Big Blon' Babe, which I know from Jerry Lee Lewis.

While some find Nick's recent solo stuff engaging, I find it pretty limp. Edmunds tried to put Rockpile back on the road with Billy, Terry and two Swedish guys. In the end Terry wasn't up to it, and his replacement in Man, Bob Richards did the gigs. After Dire Straits, Terry lost his confidence to play. He rejoined man for a while in 1995, but just couldn't keep up anymore. I know he plays locally, but only casual gigs.

You must read Deke Leonard's book Rhinos Winos and Lunitics for some really funny Edmunds stories.

For that short period, Rockpile were the best band around. It's a shame there isn't a good live compilation to be had. A lot of shows were recorded. I think some of the live versions were better than the recorded ones, but I like everything they did starting as far back as the DE album, Rockpile, and up through Billy's solo lp Smash.

25. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

The remaster is clearer sounding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.