**Rockpile- Seconds of Pleasure**- Official album discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JuniorNB, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Listening to this right now. Great album!!!

2. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Love the album, bought it when it first came out.

I know this may sound crazy, but I'm thinking Rockpile appeared on American Bandstand...or do i just remember hearing "Teacher Teacher" on there?

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

At the time (1978) "slinical" was selling (Fleetwood Mac, Boz Scaggs, Linda ROnstadt, ETC [IMO!]), so I think that Nick and Dave felt that it was OK to 'sell out' a little in order to "sell". I agree, it is missing the edge of Jesus of Cool, or Git It, but IMO there is not a clunker on Side 1 or Side 2. I still play this album a lot (so does my wife) - including the bonus EP songs. The original SONY CD sounds very good.

I caught that lineup in NY.

Wasn't 'They Called it Rock' credited to Rockpile. It was on Pure Pop For Now People, but since it was already released on a single inthe UK, it was not on Jesus of Cool (a slower tempo veresion called 'Shake & Bop' was the substitute)

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

You remember correctly!

5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

When Rockpile broke up, Nick was critical of how 'everything' had to be put in a certain tempo--Heart and They Called it Rock were singled out by him as better without the Rockpile re-arrangements. Don't agree, but he wrote them originally, so he's entitled.

6. il pleut

il pleut New Member

i suppose if i had to pick one, i'd pick the slow version of heart on "nick the nife", but i like the fact that there are two very different versions, both of them good.

7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I just adore the guitar solo on the fast Heart, otherwise, I'd feel like you, that it's a draw. BTW, there's a third version--Nick's original demo is on Wilderness Years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.