Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2018

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DPM, Sep 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cadeallaw

cadeallaw Forum Resident

Sounds fun

2. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

I'm flying out Thursday night and flying back Sunday night. If anyone wants t grab a drink or a meal, PM me.

3. DPM

DPM Senior Member Thread Starter

I gathered up some demo tunes to take with me.

1) USB stick with 24 bit/88.2 kHz digital captures of some vinyl titles. (Steely Dan, Esperanza Spalding, David Bowie, ZZ Top, Riot, Dave Matthews, Dead Can Dance and A Perfect Circle are some of the artists.)
    2) Jeff Buckley - Grace SACD hybrid
    3) CDR compilation (F. Zappa, Al Di Meola, Sonny Rollins, P. Barber, J. Haydn, Nat "King" Cole, Bela Fleck & The Flecktones, S.R.V., F. Chopin)

I don't know if I'll be allowed to use any of this stuff, but it's best to go in prepared.

Opeth likes this.
  4. RND4mGuy

RND4mGuy Forum Resident

Yes, since i live in Denver, I try to attend every year. It's a lot of fun! It's hard to see it all in just one day. Most of the gear and equipment I could never afford (Boulder gear) but it's nice to have a listen and talk to the reps.

Say "Hi" if you see me...I'm the middle-aged, thinning hair, listening to music with my eyes closed, white guy.

timind, Jim in Houston and bajaed like this.
  5. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

Meet in the breakfast restaurant in the Marriott at 8:30-ish. morot and I will be there hope to see some of you. :righton:

Jim in Houston likes this.
  6. RND4mGuy

RND4mGuy Forum Resident

I think I read there will be a big launch of Qobuz there too for the US market. Maybe a good Tidal alternative.

7. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Can't believe it's been 7 years...

[​IMG]

Jim in Houston and bluesaddict like this.
  8. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I would be in heaven if I could go. Well I could, I would just have to explain to everyone that our only vacation is an audio show this year... haha

9. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

The minute I find out that Qobuz is in the U.S. and that I can sign up for it, I'm there.

10. DPM

So there I was in the ESD Acoustics room taking in the magnificence of the 5-way active horn system on display. Just as I was about to take a picture with my camera this huge guy passed right in front of me as he worked his way across the row of chairs in which I was standing. I made the joke that I was used to looking up to people but NOT THAT FAR UP. There were a few chuckles and the big guy smiled.

Later, as he was checking out the impressive stack of electronics I took a good look at his face, and he seemed familiar. In the Gobel High End room I found out the identity of the very tall (about 7 feet) gent. It was former NBA player David Robinson. And even he had to look up at the bass horns of those loudspeakers.

11. DPM

Here's two pics of the ESD Acoustic horn system I mentioned above.

[​IMG]

And here's a close up of the amps, preamp, crossovers, etc.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2018
  12. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Yowza!

Kyhl, bluesaddict and Jim in Houston like this.
  13. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

I thought that was The Admiral!! I saw him in the Hall and was like "Is that David Robinson?! His head touches the ceiling!". My first day ever at the show was awesome! I don't know how people are able to see everything in 1 day, I could only get to maybe 10-15 rooms in the 5 hours i was there. It's exciting to see all the people there. Can't wait for day 2!

DPM, Jim in Houston and Metralla like this.
  14. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

Mark Levinson today released two new integrated amps, the 5802 and the 5805. These are the "little brothers" to the gorgeous sounding 585 integrated. The 5802 is a digital only unit, while the 5805 adds analog inputs, including a phono input. Impressive looking units.

[​IMG]DSC_0007 by MDTshots, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSC_0008 by MDTshots, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSC_0009 by MDTshots, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSC_0010 by MDTshots, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSC_0011 by MDTshots, on Flickr

DPM likes this.
  15. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

One of the new integrateds was driving a set of the new-ish Revel F228Be, which deliver fantastic sound at the $10k price point.
    [​IMG]DSC_0006 by MDTshots, on Flickr

Manimal, timind and DPM like this.
  16. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

One room not to miss at RMAF is Joshua Miles' room with his lust inducing Alyson SE speakers. It's hard to believe the realism of the sound they produce, as well as the incredibly deep bass extension they produce.

[​IMG]DSC_0024 by MDTshots, on Flickr

Manimal, dadonred, dj_w and 1 other person like this.
  17. DPM

From the land of Oz: the Kyron Audio active system with subwoofers. The large unit in the middle contains six amplifiers (for tri-amping the floor standers) and a DEQX preamplifier system that performs the crossover tasks and room correction. The other unit on the floor is a PS Audio power conditioner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Manimal and timind like this.
  18. DPM

Day two at RMAF was a long one. Lots of rooms. Lots of different sounds. Some were good, and some were not so good. Around 4:30 PM I had to stop to spare my ears and brain. I did take a lot of pictures even though I'm no great photographer.

Anyway, here's some pics for the Technics fans. (Pay particular attention to the closeup of the tonearm.)

Here's the SP-10R turntable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Manimal likes this.
  19. DPM

More pics from the Technics room.

[​IMG]

This was one of two reel-to-reel machines they had going.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Manimal, recstar24 and timind like this.
  20. DPM

Here's some pictures for the tube fans on the forum. These two are from the Wavelength Audio, Ltd. and Vaughn Loudspeakers room. The towers use plasma tweeters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Manimal likes this.
  21. DPM

The Voxativ room got points for playing Anna von Hausswolff. So refreshing following room after room of audiophile-approved music.

[​IMG]

Manimal and Encore like this.
  22. DPM

This room got points for being one of the very few that played my music. The tunes in question were Magic Fingers by Bela Fleck & The Flecktones and Jon S. by Sonny Rollins. Those Sonus Faber floor standers and subwoofer sounded fine indeed. No ear burn in this room. Unfortunately, I'm drawing a blank on the rest of the setup. Sorry.

[​IMG]

Manimal likes this.
  23. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

Anyone at the show see any on the specifics of when Qobuz will be available in the U.S.?

24. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Can’t remember the room but on the door after listing the Brands of equipment said “No Diana Krall”-lol

Twinsfan007 and Gumboo like this.
  25. tomd

tomd Senior Member

You know I expected SOME kind of exhibit strictly featuring Qobuz.Despite their sponsorship of the Fest there was none to be found.

Doug Walton likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.