Rocky series ranked best to worst

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by gottenbold, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thankfully you are wrong...I respectfully disagree. : ) I'm very thankful we've had all of them.

2. Rocky & Bullwinkle
    Rocky
    Rocky II
    Rocky III
    Rocky IV

Have not seen the others.

3. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Rocky I speaks for itself. Great movie.

II is ok. You know what is going to happen, but it is the necessary bridge to ...

Rocky III!!!!! A helluva fun movie. All the principals are still there, for awhile at least. Paulie comes into his own. Adrian? Hubba Hubba! Mickey still growls until his demise. Apollo becomes a wise sage- you gotta love anyone named Apollo Creed. Duke emerges. And then they introduce the menacing Clubber Lang. Come on, think about him before Mr T. landed on A-Team and then became yesterday's papers. Clubber was SCARY.

Rocky III has a simple, but effective theme of fatalism going on. Don't rest on your laurels for there is always trouble around the corner. Stallone must be part Irish.

I have seen it numerous times. It played all summer at a theater in my neighborhood that was easy to sneak into it if you did it right. The opening montage was perfect as it grabs everyone's attention allowing young hooligans such as I to save $3.00. No girls? Let's sneak into Rocky III! The six of Milwaukee's Best is gone? Let's sneak into Rocky III! Ah youth ...

IV and V? Meh.

Now, Rocky Balboa and Creed were pretty good. I would call them the Epilogue Editions.

Michael and KeninDC like this.
  4. gottenbold

gottenbold Forum Resident Thread Starter

I watched Rocky IV for the first time and have to say that I enjoyed it a lot. The fight at the end was great, but the way Rocky wins over the Russians was preposterous!

There are two training montages in the middle, almost back to back. It strikes me that a montage is really the only way to convey the gruelling, developing work of training in an interesting way. It would be pretty boring just to have scene after scene of training.

I could have done without the "funny" robot, though.

Michael likes this.
  5. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

As a child they showed Rocky II endlessly on HBO and this is by far the thing I HATED about it the most "Chase the chicken Rock!!!"

Michael likes this.
  6. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

You should feel like a Kentucky Fried Idiot for hating it! :p

Michael likes this.
  7. Michael

yes a viable act for a fighter...loved it! LOL...

8. Michael

Creed..I agree... I just watched it again a few days ago and felt it continued on from RB...very good movie...looking forward to part 2...

9. Michael

The Robot? that was all Paulie! come on! it's Rocky! LOL...Rocky has inner strength like no other!

10. Michael

Hmmm, I love Chicken!

11. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

III is my favorite. IV, in my opinion, is a bit silly.

12. John54

John54 Senior Member

Of course he isn't. He's the Penguin!

kouzie and David Campbell like this.
  13. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

I'd put the first two on roughly the same plane. Rocky III is enjoyable on the strength of the Apollo/Rocky friendship, Rocky's struggle with complacence, and Mr T (who is really not so much a villain as a ruthlessly focused fighter).

Rocky IV seems to be the high point for my generation. I hate it. Unlike every other entry this one is horribly dated, from the music, the MTV editing to the goofy glasnost messages. The worst entry by a country mile.

V seems universally reviled but I like it. While not a great movie, its back to basics, character-driven approach gave it some real heart that had been lacking since part II. That is, until Balboa came along and improved on it in every conceivable way.

Encuentro likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.