Rod Stewart "Live 1975-1998" 4-CD box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Indy500, May 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

IIRC (again), the project was done. Rhino continued (and continues) to trickle out product. But they didn't issue the rest of the series.

2. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

"Trickle" being the operative word. Even if track lists are set, mastering is done and art designed - CDs don't magically appear. Working with a skeletal crew can seriously inhibit a label's ability to release product.

3. peter

peter Senior Member

So true. And, the mastering on these was a pure joy.

4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Something tells me we aren't gonna see this live box anytime soon.

5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Well, I think releases are trickling out with the Rhino logo on 'em but I don't think Rhino really exists anymore. Sad.

6. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

According to Amazon.de, this is now scheuled for March 14th...

Not too excited about a live set, but hope it sells enough to re-ignite the rest of the catalogue programme.

7. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Wow, he finally releases his acoustic version of Hungry Heart..........one of the few live Rod oddities I thought was really something special.

9. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

Press release including the source gig dates...

IN ROD WE TRUST
    Live 1976-1998: Tonight's The Night Showcases Rod Stewart's
    Electrifying Live Performances With 58 Unreleased Recordings
    Four-Disc Collection Available March 18 From Warner Bros. Records

LOS ANGELES - Rod Stewart is one of the best-selling recording artists of all time and throughout his unprecedented five-decade-long career, the singer-songwriter has also earned the distinction of being one of the most beloved live performers in the world. The two-time Rock and Roll Hall of Famer and Grammy™ Living Legend has entertained countless fans around the world with his passionate and charismatic live performances - even holding the record for the largest-ever free concert, which attracted an estimated 4.2 million in Rio de Janeiro on New Year's Eve in 1996.

Warner Bros. Records shines a spotlight on Stewart's phenomenal legacy on stage with a four-disc collection that spans more than 20 years with 58 unreleased live recordings that include his biggest hits along with some incredible covers. LIVE 1976-1998: TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT will be available on March 18 for a suggested list price of $39.98. A digital version will be released the same day.

Arranged chronologically, the opening disc is comprised of performances recorded in a variety of venues across England in 1976. Many of the songs are from Stewart's then-current album, the double-platinum A Night on the Town , including the smash, "Tonight's The Night (Gonna Be Alright)," which was a #1 hit in the U.S. for eight weeks. Other memorable performances include "You Wear It Well," "Maggie May" and "(I Know) I'm Losing You" from the #1 album, Every Picture Tells a Story.

The second disc includes two songs recorded in 1976 - "Sailing" and "Stay With Me," a song Stewart originally recorded with the Faces - but the majority of the music comes from a 1979 concert at the Forum in Los Angeles. Performances include "(If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want To Be Right" from the triple-platinum Foot Loose and Fancy Free, and the title track from Stewart's #1 album, Blondes Have More Fun. Also featured are several songs from Foolish Behavior recorded in 1980 at Wembley Stadium, as well as Stewart's raucous duet with Tina Turner on "Hot Legs," from a 1981 show in LA.

The third disc spans 1984-89 and features a selection of strong performances from two concerts. One was recorded in 1984 in San Diego and includes "Some Guys Have All The Luck" and "You're In My Heart (Final Acclaim)." The second concert was recorded in 1989 at the Meadowlands, on the tail end of his tour in support of Stewart's double platinum album Out Of Order. Those songs include "Forever Young," "Infatuation," "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?" and "I Ain't Superstitious," a song he originally recorded in 1968 with the Jeff Beck Group.

The final disc includes recordings made between 1991-98, beginning with a 1991 show at Wembley Stadium where Stewart mixed "Downtown Train" and "Baby Jane" with classics like "Mandolin Wind." Stewart was riding a massive wave of success from the Unplugged...and Seated album in 1993 when he performed at the Greek Theatre in LA. Several songs taken from that show touch on Stewart's early years, like "Handbags And Gladrags" from his solo debut An Old Raincoat Won't Ever Let You Down (1969), "Cut Across Shorty" from Gasoline Alley (1970) and "(Find A) Reason To Believe" from Every Picture Tells A Story (1971).

The final disc closes with covers of Oasis' "Cigarettes And Alcohol" and Primal Scream's "Rocks" recorded in London in 1998. Those are just two of the many covers featured on LIVE 1976-1998, each a showcase for Stewart's unparalleled skill at interpreting other artists' music. Among the highlights are: Bruce Springsteen's "Hungry Heart," the Beatles' "Get Back," Jimi Hendrix's "Angel," Van Morrison's "Have I Told You Lately," B.B. King's "Rock Me Baby," the blues standard "Baby Please Don't Go" and several songs by Sam Cooke, who had an enormous influence on Stewart.

In a career spanning more than five decades, Rod Stewart has amassed sales of more than 200 million albums and singles worldwide and has countless chart-topping hits and industry accolades - including 18 Grammy nominations, two inductions into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and in 2007, he was bestowed Commander of the British Empire (CBE) by the Queen of England. Stewart's love of performing still prevails - this year, fans around the world will have an opportunity to see him live in concert when he brings his chart-topping "Live the Life" tour to South America this February and continuing at stadiums throughout Europe this summer. This April, he'll also make his much-anticipated return to his residency at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas. Visit RodStewart.com for more details.

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. LaserKen

LaserKen Senior Member

Agreed -- that was a special (and slow) version.

11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Looks intriguing.

12. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Ordered

13. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

14. rjraphael

rjraphael Forum Resident

Now available at Amazon.co.uk for about $28 (17 pounds).

15. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Pricing is becoming very favorable on this box. It was $43 last week and now it is down to $36, so I ordered it too. Amazon always gives the lowest price after you pre-order, so it it drops further you get the better price.

16. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Interesting setlist.

17. kevin

kevin Senior Member

The 79 concert from the Forum in LA was broadcast on tv from what I remember[on the predecessor to the FOX network too bad they won't include video footage of that show on a dvd ].

18. PacificOceanBlue

Nice to see this finally seeing the light of day. Hopefully the deluxe editions for Footloose And Fancy Free and Blondes Have More Fun finally get released as well; but I doubt it.

Clanceman likes this.
  19. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

All depends on sales I reckon...this set is tracking inside the Top 100 on Amazon uk for the last few days which is encouraging, and way better than Sessions ever did. It's a great price to encourage the masses to chance it.
    "Time" has just left the UK Top 40 for the first time after 37 weeks so this box will hopefully ride it's coattails a bit.
    Can't see it doing much in the US unfortunately.

What might happen is Rhino dispense with the deluxe concept and put vault material into a comp for Christmas..that would do me.

Clanceman likes this.
  20. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

30 second clips for all tracks on Amazon.de today...

21. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

22. PacificOceanBlue

Wow...the 1976 material sounds vibrant and alive. Rod is very good form. Wish there was more from this era on this set.

daviddaniel, Clanceman and Ron Mexico like this.
  23. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I remember it being a pay per view show. At the time, I thought it was great.

24. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

14 GBP was too good to pass up.

25. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

It took me all of 35 seconds of listening to that stream to think "I'm buying this day of release." Dirty, sloppy, gritty rock n'rod. I miss that guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.