DCC Archive Rod Stewart Remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Unknown, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown

Unknown Guest Thread Starter

Has anyone heard the remastered 'Every Picture Tells a Story', or any of the other early 70's discs? I'd like to pick these up, but was so dissatisfied with the Elton John remasters that I'd appreciate any listening impressions.

2. Dr. Winston

Dr. Winston New Member

I have the Gold MFSL "Every Picture" and thought it was pretty good. I haven't listened to any other versions for comparisons though.

3. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

I bought the '98 20-bit remastered The Best Of Rod Stewart (the '76 double album) earlier this year and from what I recall it sounded very good, but to be honest I've only played it once or twice and was somewhat distracted w/other things at the time. Maybe later I'll compare the 3 tracks on it that are also on the MFSL EPTAS to see what differences I can hear.

[ December 28, 2001: Message edited by: Telefunken ]

4. Unknown

Unknown Guest Thread Starter

I own the MFSL Every Picture Tells A Story aswell and if I may add something to the comment Dr. Winston made (I largely agree with him): this recording doesn't sound very good in an absolute sense of the word (in fact, overall sound quality sucks...), but at least I got the feeling that they made the most out of a lousy recording to start with. Furthermore, the songs are such a joy to listen to that you tend to forget about the crappy recording when you've played for about 10 minutes....

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I don't think it was specifically a crappy recording, but the style was definately much like "Never A Dull Moment". The DCC-LP is great, but even the older Mercury CD by Dennis Drake is very, very good. "Every Picture" was never audiophile, as some stuff in the mix came up dark, but the MFSL of "Every Picture" is 1st rate, very good. I liked that one a lot.

Dennis' "Dull Moment" CD was what I played the 1st time I let the solder cool on my Foreplay tube pre. I really think if you listen to Rod Stewart's early stuff on good tubes, you'll get a better opinion, I'm very sure.

[ December 28, 2001: Message edited by: Sckott ]

6. pauljones

pauljones Forum Chef

I think Dennis Drake worked wonders with a lot of the Polygram acquisitions (Mercury, Capricorn, Polydor, etc.). His transfers do not sound overly processed, and are quite warm and detailed. In fact, I was quite surprised when I saw that some of them were remastered again...what was so wrong with the Drake remasters? By the way, I have a 1983 cd copy of "Every Picture Tells A Story", pressed in Germany, booklet printed in Germany, but is a domestic Mercury release and the sound is stunning. Slight tape hiss, no mastering information, clean, clear, and it sounds like the master was transferred with no tampering whatsoever. I also enjoy the work of Joseph M. Palmaccio with his remastering of some of the Polygram Chronicles series and other Polygram compilations. It sounds like he transfers the sources with very little alterations.

7. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Every Picture Tells a Story is a great recording as anyone with a UK original black label Mercury will tell you. IMO, the MFSL CD is not as good as this LP, but much better than most CDs, especially at high volume.

8. Alan T

Alan T Senior Member

When Rod compiled the "Storyteller" box set, he complained that the digital tape of "Every Picture..." that he was sent from Mercury had too much bass and the CD was re-EQ'd and reissued.

9. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I hope this isn't the same Dennis Drake who did Polygram remasters in the late 80's. They were absolutely wretched.

10. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Hmm. I'm sure Mr. Hoffman will have something to say about this!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.