Roger Chapman / Family new box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ChrisM, Apr 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler Thread Starter

Just got this in the post today and have just made my way through the first disc. Well, this thing is really a hodge-podge from the get-go. The set boasts a number of live and previously unreleased recordings. Unfortunately, this is one of those sets with a minimum of specific details. The live Family tracks on the first disc are lo-fi affairs. Some are apparently live-in-the-studio (i.e. BBC sessions) which seem to be recorded off-air. While Weavers Answer is a concert recording, it is also lo-fi.

The notes mention that the live tracks of Streetwalkers on the second disc are from the band's live debut at the Roundhouse. Well, WHEN exactly??? The recording quality on this appears to be from a mono TV broadcast. Argh!

I really hate box sets like this. These are designed (I *think*) for hardcore fans... who are likely to be disappointed. If someone decides to include rare tracks, is it too much to ask for details (not just very broad general notes in the accompanying book)?

I think the people who assembled this set should take a look at a set like the Van der Graaf Generator box - a full discography, gigography and cool notes.

At least my set includes the bonus 5th disc (even LESS details!!!) and the Leicester City F.C. programme!

Chris
    :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.