Roger Daltrey vs. Eric Burdon vs. Robert Plant *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Oct 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

When it comes to British rock these guys have the most soulful vocals that cut through each time they're heard. They all had amazing musicians backing up their singing with wonderful sounds that blends in so well but what's even more impressive is how they used their voices as instruments to channel so much emotion. :) It's tough to choose whose vocals are the most soulful but for right now I'll have to go with Robert Plant.

This is the perfect example to showcase how powerful his vocals are.
    His soft but harsh vocals swaying through the music and that painful shriek towards the end gives me the goosebumps all over.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  2. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

They all have individual styles and certainly don't need my approval, but pre Led Zeppelin I'd have trouble naming a better English blues/ R&B singer than Eric Burdon. After the Animals went belly up, I cast my vote for Robert. Eric sounded like he lived the lyrics he was singing,IMO, as opposed to respectfully reproducing the style , if that makes sense .

Mr Sam, Larry Mc, tmtomh and 3 others like this.
  3. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Er, Daltrey?

micksmuse, keef00 and peteham like this.
  4. old school

old school Senior Member

I like all three and could never pick one over the other. All three were originals in there time.

5. What is this a boxing match? All three are great singers who have had great bands behind them. That's enough for me.

helter and superstar19 like this.
  6. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Whose voice do I like best? I don't know whose voice I like best.

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

All three are great, but I have to go with Robert Plant. I loved his voice in his younger years. No one screamed and displayed agony like him.

tmtomh and johnny q like this.
  8. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Plant is the most theatrical, with the most range, humor, and personality.

Burdon is the most powerful and, for lack of a better term, soulful.

Daltrey... I've just never liked the guy's voice, so I can't really view him objectively. He just seems kind of thuggish to me.

micksmuse, JohnnyQuest and zebop like this.
  9. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

All good

gsmile likes this.
  10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

For the past week I've been listening to 'Tommy', 'Live At Hull' & 'Live At The Isle of Wight'. I was struck what a good singer Daltrey was both live & in the studio.
    The comparison that came to mind was Plant, and I think that Roger was a finer singer with a better voice, as well as being more versatile. Of course, I think he was provided with much better material & a better band. I would never have thought to compare the two to Burdon.

11. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

...Steve Marriott...

But of these
    1-Robert Plant (daltrey's tommy period may have been the peak of the 3 but he was not as nuanced). I often thing of Plants amazing vocals on the song the song remains the same....and his ability to split into the melody is rarely matched (while folks tread the love hate line, d'yer mak'er is another fantastic vocal...then stairway and California...sometimes I wish there was more subtlety but plant is great.

2-daltrey. I'm a bigger who fan than zeppelin, and roger is a big piece of why I like the who--as Pete couldn't have carried the necessary power they needed at their peak. But roger later kept over singing again and again (heck even by quad he showed this, that he slipped below plant.

3- burden is not in the same league to me....I like some animals but and I recognize he had a powerful voice, but he didn't master the subtlety or range that plant could hit and daltrey hit in periods....and maybe it's also cuz burden got way too hippied out early...,

Revolver, totmeyer, tmtomh and 2 others like this.
  12. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

This struck me so funny with it's simple honesty. Good for you. Why make a choice when you aren't sure ? :wave:

13. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

Burdon has one of those immediately grabbing vocal presences that is unmissable. But as much as of an Animals fan as I am, the obvious choice is Daltrey. The early material, the live act, balancing between the soft and hard on an album, Quadrophenia which alone is one of the great rock vocals, and of course the scream. (that some inane person licensed for that show that is so fun to mock)

Joeinator97, Zack and Jet Age Eric like this.
  14. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Not. Even. Close.

Robert Plant.

I always liked Plants voice even when it changed and weakened a bit. He used it to his advantage. Skilled, intelligent and talented.

15. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Plant's going to be dead last in a list with almost any other 2 decent singers you could name for me. Terribly overrated vocalist and hopelessly out of his depth in LZ.

I do like Daltrey a lot at times, and Burdon's probably got the coolest voice of the 3 but he's been associated with too much dross. Daltrey wins by default.

16. JohnnyQuest

This is a close one.

17. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

Going with the ever versatile and powerful, Robert Plant. One of my very favorite rock vocalists ever.

tmtomh likes this.
  18. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

#1 Eric Burdon, #2 Roger Daltrey and a very, very distant #3 Robert Plant.

19. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

eric burdon.

20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Burdon
    Plant
    Daltry

Charismatic frontman'Daltry.

eb2jim likes this.
  21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Would have said Daltry at one time, but Plant has gotten so much better in the last decade or so

tmtomh likes this.
  22. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Plant is easily the most creative of the three. Rather than "out of his depth" it could be observed that Page and perhaps Jones expected a Daltrey, had a budding Gabriel and are now paying a price.
    Marriott and Rogers belong here rather than Burdon but Eric is a bit forgotten so it's cool to see him in this pollster's running.
    [​IMG]
    For this poll...
    Plant
    Burdon
    Daltrey
    Roger is a great Rock Archetype, essentially the first Rock Greek Statuary. Terrific throat but the least visionary.
    He's a bit like Elvis in a way.
    I tie creativity to enjoyment. So Plant has the full chop

tmtomh and ShawnX like this.
  23. JohnnyQuest

Stopped listening to Zep for a few months and came back to listen to IV. Wow! :love:
    It's like having a huge bong rip to the face after being completely sober for a solid month. F***!
    Powerful music man!! Rock 'n' Roll Royalty!!!

tmtomh and old school like this.
  24. Stan

Stan Forum Resident

Steve Winwood

25. Sunsales

Sunsales Forum Resident

Quien es mas macho?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.