Roger Miller All time Greatest Hits

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by floyd, Jan 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floyd

floyd Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm looking some Roger Miller. The Golden Hits set was said to have the best sonics but very short (I think I remember hearing it was under 30 minutes) The box set King of the Road - Genius of R.M. is a nice collection but I'm not sure I need 3 cd of Roger Miller (but then again...? )

The All Time Greatest Hits collection looks good and I can get it at BMG for free (they also have the box but not for free) but if the sound is not good I'd rather go with something that had better sound.
    Thanks

2. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Even if you merely "like" Roger Miller, the box set is worth it. Hearing the box turned me into a full-blown Roger Miller freak. The sonics are good - better than the original LPs. For some bizarre reason a lot of those 60's Mercury (and Smash) albums have some of the wonkiest sound! Sometimes the sound quality is good, sometimes horrific. The box is the way to go IMHO. Really - some of the outtakes are priceless! It would be nice to see BMG put the original albums out as two-fers. I'm not holding my breath, though. For now - the box is the ONE!

----- Chris

3. floyd

floyd Senior Member Thread Starter

The box it is then. We had a couple of Roger Miller albums when I was a kid I used to love playing them.

4. Friend of Brian W

Friend of Brian W New Member

Every vintage RM smash lp I've purchased in the past year had decent sound, so I don't know what the deal is with the records you heard. My advice would be to do needle drops of the first 3 lps. Too many good songs are missing from the box set, plus the songs just flow better on the originals.

5. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Bear Family released an excellent single disc compilation.

6. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Well, I was being nit-picky I suppose. The original LPs (particularly the mono ones) are good to have. In fact, just last year I bagged a copy of one of his later LPs (called "A Trip in the Country") where he redid all of his older "country" hits for other artists that wound up in Heavy Rotation here. It's a great album and none of those tracks are on the box!
    But the box has some great unique stuff like a full 6 or 7 minute "fly on the wall" recording session of a song that was never completed. You get to hear Roger's composing process and it's a mind-blast!

------ Chris

7. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

I'll have to go look and get back to you, but the last time I bought a Roger Miller Greatest Hits CD, it was very inexpensive, but the songs all sounded re-recorded compared to the versions on my Time-Life CD's and how I remember them-- especially King Of The Road. But let me see what disc that was. I hate it when Michael Martin Murphy, Gordon Lightfoot, Ray Stevens and so many others like very possibly Roger Miller re-record their songs like that for the greatest hits packages.

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

If they are licensed from Sony/Tree, they are re-recordings.

9. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

I have this one, and it sounds great to these ears.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.