Roger Taylor (Queen) - Fun On Earth / The Lot Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Benn Kempster, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else? Thread Starter

Thought I'd kick this one off with the press release (and removed reference to the Queen Extravaganza.......).

Exciting for me as it sees the re-release of his material with The Cross who, for me, were the best thing to come out of Queen in terms of a solo project. Here's hoping that there's lots of previously unreleased material and that the venerable Queen Archivist has done the best possible job in making material available for inclusion.

ROGER TAYLOR - NEW ALBUM ‘FUN ON EARTH’ AND COMPLETE BACK CATALOGUE ‘THE LOT’ DUE FOR RELEASE IN OCTOBER

A MUST HAVE FOR ALL ROCK’N’ROLL FANS, ‘THE LOT’ IS A SPECIAL BOX SET SPANNING THE CAREER OF ONE OF BRITAIN’S MOST SUCCESSFUL ROCK STARS EVER

Roger Taylor, legendary rock icon and full-throttle drumming powerhouse, has confirmed the release of his fifth studio album ‘Fun On Earth’ in October alongside ‘The Lot’, the complete collection of his rich back catalogue of work spanning his solo career and material from The Cross, in stunning limited collectors editions and digital formats.

‘Fun on Earth’ is one of Taylor’s most exciting and accomplished pieces of work to date. Recorded at Priory Studios, Surrey, the 13 track album is a triumphant display of superior musicianship showcasing Taylor at his vocal best. ‘Say It’s Not True’ sees Taylor team up with Jeff Beck for the contemporary Queen favourite while the smooth refrains and heartfelt lyrics of ‘Woman You’re So Beautiful’ and ‘Be With You‘ come together with the powerful, reckless spirit of opening track ‘One Night Stand‘ and ‘I Am The Drummer (In A Rock n’ Roll Band)’ on what is an exhilarating, tour de force of rock music.

In an interview with Classic Rock Taylor says of the new album: "My first solo effort (in 1981) was called Fun in Space. Ive called this one Fun On Earth. I've come down to earth a bit, but there's still a bit of fun in there - some smiley tracks. It's been written over a five year period, so it's very eclectic. Some gentle stuff, some rockier stuff, and some fairly political stuff."

With a juggernaut career spanning six decades, Taylor was the beating heart of Queen penning landmark hits ‘Radio Ga Ga’, ‘A Kind of Magic’ and ‘Days of Our Lives’ while enjoying success across the globe with accomplished solo material which reached the heights of the UK charts. A true rock icon, ‘Fun on Earth’ proves that Taylor is still performing at the top of his game and with a body of work behind him that speaks for itself, ‘The Lot’ is a must-have collectors item for any discerning music lover.

Full details of ‘Fun on Earth’ and ‘The Lot’ including release date and tracklisting will be announced in the coming weeks.

2. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

Sounds interesting and good to get some more new Queen solo stuff after 15 odd years...i'm a big fan of Rogers first two albums and the first two Cross albums so will be interesting to see as you say what extra and unreleased material gets included. The Cross are reforming too this year...

3. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

Yes, very much looking forward to this! I saw The Cross on a number of occasions in the UK and have always enjoyed RT's solo output, right back to I Wanna Testify (b/w Turn On The TV) when it came out in 77. I hope that 'The Lot' is as complete as it can possibly be.

QueenVault likes this.
  4. Benn Kempster

Roger Taylor, legendary rock icon, has confirmed the release of his fifth studio album ‘fun on earth’ on 25th October alongside ‘the lot’, the complete collection of his rich back catalogue of work in both physical, which will be a limited collectors edition and digital formats.
    ‘fun on earth’ is Taylor’s most exciting and accomplished pieces of work to date. The 13 track album is a triumphant display of superior musicianship showcasing Taylor at his vocal best. The press release will be with us early next week and more details to follow.

‘the lot’ is the complete box set spanning his career and as the package says is THE LOT. It is a must-have collector’s item! With a career spanning six decades, Taylor has penned the legendary hits ‘Radio Ga Ga’, ‘A Kind of Magic’ and ‘Days of Our Lives’ while enjoying success across the globe with accomplished solo material.

TITLE: FUN ON EARTH

TRACKLISTING:
    1. One Night Stand! 04:22
    2. Fight Club 03:02
    3. Be With You 03:10
    4. Quality Street 04:25
    5. I Don't Care 03:24
    6. Woman You're So Beautiful! 03:38
    7. Be My Gal (My Brightest Spark) 02:45
    8. I Am The Drummer (In A Rock 'n' Roll Band) 02:47
    9. Small 03:51
    10. Say It's Not True 04:58
    11. The Unblinking Eye – Abridged 04:54
    12. Up 03:10
    13. Smile 03:01

TITLE: the lot
    CONTENTS:
    8 original albums and 4 compilation discs
    1. Fun In Space
    2. Strange Frontier
    3. Happiness
    4. Electric Fire
    5. Shove It (The Cross)
    6. Mad Bad & Dangerous to Know (The Cross)
    7. Blue Rock (The Cross)
    8. Fun on Earth (new album + 2 new tracks for box only)
    9. 4 x discs CD compilation (title TBC)
    1 DVD - content –promo videos and extras

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumNew/attachments/20138221247475956.jpg

<Not sure about the cover picture for "The Lot" though - makes him out to be Keith Moon.........>

Zephead2112 likes this.
  5. Benn Kempster

The interesting thing here is the 4 disc CD compilation - is this where we are going to see solo and The Cross 7" & 12" mixes and extended versions as opposed to them being included on the original albums as well as any previously unreleased material? If the Freddie Mercury Solo Collection is being used as a benchmark for this, then I'd certainly expect that. BUT, that will mean discs with a LOT of unused space on them which I get really annoyed at........

As for a price point it'll be interesting to see how it sits - we can expect around 150 quid I reckon.

6. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

I've been wanting to get into Roger's solo material for ages, so this is great news to me, especially with so many of his albums so hard to come by.

7. Benn Kempster

It's now looking likely for a November release. But still no official word on track listings / disc contents etc.

8. Zephead2112

I've been checking the home page of RT's brand new official site on a daily basis. Its still says "Coming Soon". I really hope that we get some news on the box set soon.

http://www.rogertaylorofficial.com/

Modern Times.....Rock & Roll!!!!!

9. Zephead2112

I see that today, the home page is now blank, without the RT photo and "Coming Soon" text. Some imminent 'go live' activity perhaps? We've also heard about digital pre-orders for The Lot this week. What's that all about? I can understand pre-orders for a physical product but for digital files (?!?!). Still waiting for the official word on the track-listing.........

10. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

The promotion of this set seems like a mess to me. Roger has been all over the UK media lately promoting the new album and the box set yet at the moment all you can pre-order is the new album. Surely if they want to sell both products they should be both available to buy otherwise it will disappear from people's conscious and will be forgotten about.

...but when have new related-Queen products been marketed well?

11. Zephead2112

The website is now live....with full track listings of 'The Lot'.

The pre-order link takes you to the the store but at the moment, there is no product there to purchase.

12. Zephead2112

P.S. Apparently those who had 'sight of the site' were witnessing a test run by RT's web team; word is that the site officially goes live on the 11th November.

13. stagnation

Tracklistings for:

- Fun On Earth (Box Set Version)
    - Roger Taylor Solo Singles 1
    - Roger Taylor Solo Singles 2
    - The Cross Singles 1
    - The Cross Singles 2

***Roger Taylor - Fun On Earth (Boxset Version)***

1. One Night Stand!
    2. Fight Club
    3. Be With You
    4. Quality Street
    5. I Don’t Care
    6. Sunny Day
    7. Be My Gal (My Brightest Spark)
    8. I Am The Drummer (In A Rock N’ Roll Band)
    9. Small
    10. Say It’s Not True (With Jeff Beck)
    11. The Unblinking Eye (Abridged)
    12. Up
    13. Smile
    14. Dear Mr Murdoch (Nude Mix)
    15. Whole House Rockin'

***Roger Taylor Solo Singles 1***

1. I Wanna Testify
    2. Turn On The Tv
    3. My Country (Single Version)
    4. Man On Fire (Extended Version)
    5. I Cry For You (Single Remix) )
    6. Strange Frontier (Extended Remix)
    7. I Cry For You (Extended Remix)
    8. Two Sharp Pencils (Get Bad)
    9. Nazis 1994 Radio Mix
    10. Nazis 1994 Kick Mix
    11. Nazis 1994 Schindlers Mix Extended
    12. Nazis 1994 Makita Mix Extended
    13. Nazis 1994 Big Science Mix
    14. Foreign Sand - (With Yoshiki) (Single Version)
    15. Final Destination (With Yoshiki)
    16. Everybody Hurts Sometimes – Live At Shepherds Bush Empire 1994
    17. Old Friends - Live At Shepherds Bush Empire 1994

***Roger Taylor Solo Singles 2***

1. Pressure On (Single Version)
    2. People On Streets (Mashed)
    3. Tonight - (Dub Sangria)
    4. Keep A Knockin’ - (Man Utd Cd Single)
    5. Surrender (Radio Mix)
    6. A Nation Of Haircuts - (Club Cut)
    7. London Town C’mon Down - (Single Mix)
    8. Surrender - (Live At Cyber Barn)
    9. No More Fun – (Live At Cyber Barn)
    10. Tonight - (Live At Cyber Barn)
    11. One Night Stand
    12. Woman You’re So Beautiful - Felix + Arty (Main Mix)
    13. Woman You’re So Beautiful - Felix + Arty (Mad Mix)
    14. Woman You’re So Beautiful - Felix + Arty - (Dancehall Mix)
    15. The Unblinking Eye (Everything Is Broken) - Single Version
    16. The Unblinking Eye (Everything Is Broken) - Almost Completely Nude Mix
    17. Dear Mr Murdoch - 2011

***The Cross Singles 1***

1. Cowboys & Indians (7” Single Edit)
    2. Love Lies Bleeding – Single Remix (She's A Wicked Wily Waitress)
    3. Feel The Force
    4. Shove It - (Extended Mix)
    5. Shove It - (Metropolix)
    6. Shove It - (Denniz Pop Remix)
    7. Heaven For Everyone 7” ( Roger Taylor Vocal)
    8. Heaven For Everyone 7” ( Freddie Mercury Vocal)
    9. Manipulator (Extended)
    10. Manipulator (Single Version)
    11. Power To Love - (Extended Version)
    12. Power To Love (Single Version)
    13. In Charge Of My Heart (Single Version)
    14. Liar - (Extended Remix)
    15. In Charge Of My Heart (Extended Version)
    16. Liar (Single Remix)

***The Cross Singles 2***

1. New Dark Ages (Single Version)
    2. Ain’t Put Nothing Down - (Long Version)
    3. Man On Fire (Live)
    4. Life Changes (Single Version)
    5. Heartland
    6. Celebration – Jam Studios Session (Previously Unreleased)
    7. I Can Take You Higher - Jam Studios Session (Previously Unreleased)
    8. Out Of My Head - Jam Studios Session (Previously Unreleased)
    9. Passion For Trash - Jam Studios Session (Previously Unreleased)
    10. Top Of The World Ma’ - Extended Remix (Previously Unreleased)
    11. Shove It – Us Single Version

14. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Anyone want to buy a kidney?.

longaway likes this.
  15. EddieVortex

EddieVortex Forum Resident

'The Lot' is now up on Amazon.uk. My pre-order price was 90 pounds including postage to Oz. Looking forward to the extra tracks on this set.

16. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member

Listening to the samples on iTunes all albums seem to be remastered again, all being louder and crisper than my current CDs.

I totally could do without all the dub, techno and whatnot remixes. Fun In Space outtakes would've been a lot better, but they probably don't exist...

The DVD is missing the "I Wanna Testify" and "Future Management" TV performances :sigh:

17. Zephead2112

Yes, it's been confirmed that the albums have indeed been remastered; from the samples, I think they sound great but I'm with you regarding the FIS demos/outtakes, they would have been fascinating to hear. Apparently, gaining the rights to use the TV performances of IWT and FM was just too difficult which is a real shame, especially as they were effectively the 'beginning of the lot'.

18. stagnation

More like Queen Productions or Nightjar Productions didn't want to put their hands deep enough in their pockets....

19. For brief time I owned "Fun in Space" on CD. I sold it very quickly - I couldn't stand it! I'm a big Queen fan, and I like Roger's songs on Queen albums, but I just didn't know what to make of his first solo album.

20. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Considering how many other acts published tv performances from German tv-station ZDF I can't believe, that there were any big monetary problems to get the "Future Management" performance from the show "Rockpop".

21. Benn Kempster

It just exposes QPL for what they really are - a tight-fisted organisation that cares little for the archive and history of Queen and their solo efforts. No one should be surprised at all about it.......

TyphoonTip likes this.
  22. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

I've been telling people that for years now. Unfortunately, unless the discs ever see the light of day separately, the box set is waaaay out of my reach. QPL have had lots of my money since 1974, but they only want new buyers now.

23. Leigh Burne

While QPL can certainly be criticised for some of the stuff they've brought out in recent years, I'm actually chuffed by this set - I have none of Roger's albums, and now I can get the whole lot (no pun intended) in one go. Add in the fact most of Roger's albums are out of print, I'm really pleased with this.

24. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Well, there you have the answer; people who already have the albums and won't/can't pay for them again can go **** themselves, courtesy of QPL.

Benn Kempster likes this.
  25. Leigh Burne

But how many people have all these albums? As I pointed out, they've been out of print for years. Some never even got released in most countries and can fetch stupid prices online.

It's not like it's a repackaging of something 99% of people already have, or something you can still easily pick up elsewhere. Most of it is pretty obscure stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.