Roger Waters Amused to Death Coming to LP and SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeeS, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

I understood from the video clip that Waters was saying that they technically were unable to do some of it, and other bit he seemed to have been absent minded about leaving out, in the final mix down (originally), and know wishes it be part of his original vision of the piece. Artistic preference.

2. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

If you're referring to James Guthrie, his meticulous track record with Pink Floyd-related sound quality over the past 35+ years speaks for itself, despite him being a "non-audiophile engineer" (however that's supposed to be defined).

3. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I'm guessing here but the Blu-ray will probably have some extras that the SACD won't (video). I also wonder if it will include the original mix, not just the stereo remix.

That being said, get whichever you prefer or sounds better on your system (PCM vs. DSD).

4. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Maybe you should wait until you're awake before posting? ;)

VinylRob likes this.
  5. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

SergioRZ likes this.
  6. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Which stores are taking preorders? I should put in an order.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  7. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I'm a simple man, with simple wants and needs. What I want to know is: will there be a new stereo remix on CD?

(PS, I bought my copy of the original version on CD for a dollar from a woman selling CDs and knick-knacks off a blanket somewhere on 6th avenue, 3 and a half years ago.)

8. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

Yes I'm 100% certain the new stereo remix is on the new CD release.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  9. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Thank you.

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

That would involve Roger pulling them out from under his bed. He'd have to move the Wall movie, Final Cut movie, and vintage and recent Wall concerts out of the way to do it.

:shh:

11. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Is anyone disappointed that the original stereo mix wasn't used?

12. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The original CD and Mastersound Gold CD mastered by Doug Sax already sound wonderful.

13. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

I have no problem with it, not at all. I'm sure it will prove to be excellent.
    And I trust that the content changes will also be more closely fulfill Waters intent, from what he said.
    I defer with no reservation to his artistic license.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  14. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

It's defined as the user has never heard of his so he couldn't possibly be any good. :rolleyes:

As you said- he's got a great track record. I'd take Guthrie working on Floyd over any 'audiophile' engineer as he knows the material and has done amazing work.

mando_dan and Billy Infinity like this.
  15. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I kinda wish the LP was the original mix (and cover art) as now I have this slight feeling of incompleteness as I have waited over 20 years to own this album on vinyl. That said I’d rather have the remixed vinyl than cough up $300 for an original pressing.

I’ll live.

16. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Is it confirmed that the new LP is not using the original mix (unlike the new digital releases)?

17. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I had a concern and posted it here in order to get feedback. That's the only way to "define it".

18. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I would like to see this trend continue - "Legacy Recordings has collaborated with Analogue Productions / Acoustic Sounds in the United States on the release of the 2LP 200 gram vinyl"

No doubt that doesn't just mean "pressed at QRP" as they could have just said that.

19. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

I don't intend to remain locked in a paradigm of twenty some odd years ago. But not about to suggest it is wrong thinking to want it the same. Yet as I indicated above, I really look forward to this vision as Waters wishes (or wished) it to be... If it were DSOTM it might be more difficult for me to take that position. And I prefer the new cover, especially given the anticipated content change.

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I wonder if the stereo layer of the SACD will have "Q Sound"?

"The album is mixed in QSound to enhance the spatial feel of the audio, and the many sound effects on the album – rifle range ambience, sleigh-bells, cars, planes, distant horses, chirping crickets, and dogs – all make use of the 3-D facility."

Bill

21. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Pulled out my Mastersound gold CD, which I'm spinning right now for the first time since, like, 1993.

This album is way too long.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  22. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Most doubles are.

23. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

You need better drugs.

Billy Infinity and rstamberg like this.
  24. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I never considered it a double album, just a long CD. Was it, in fact, a double album? I can't remember ...

25. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.