Roger Waters Amused to Death Coming to LP and SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeeS, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

Apologies if this has been covered but what's the difference between the two preorder versions on Amazon - one is c£65 and the other is c£35

Thanks
    Gary

2. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

One is the US version (Analogue Productions), the other is the EU version (Sony / Columbia).

Both are advertised as 200 Gram vinyl... the strange part is that I received information (that I was not able to confirm myself) that both versions, US and EU, will be pressed at QRP, which is quite unexpected and hard to believe given the huge price difference (and being much cheaper in Europe). I think what the source for that information really meant to say was that the EU pressing is made from the same cut/mastering as the QRP pressing... that makes sense ;)

My guess is that the EU 200g version will be pressed at Record Industry in Holland, from the exact same cut as the US 200g version.

3. Farthingscat

Ok, that makes sense, thank you
    Gary

4. goldenbreast

goldenbreast Forum Resident

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...-waters-amused-to-death-on-cdblu-ray-and-2lp/

Does the above info re vinyl pressing suggest that both EU and US versions will be pressed at QRP?

5. SergioRZ

At this point I'm ready to believe in anything, but with these US/EU prices being so different, I would be extremely surprised if QRP was pressing both releases...

Let's see how it turns out in the end, there are still many things unclear...

6. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

Not touching the Sony release, had the AP version on pre order for well over a year now so sticking with that.

Can't wait for this, I remember buying the original CD when it came out and have loved this album ever since. Haven't listened to it in years though as soon as I heard about this release decided to hold off on it in anticipation for placing this down on my turntable and cranking it up, this really is the best Floyd solo record, leave any DG's out in the cold.

Zack likes this.
  7. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

Yes, roger touring ATD would provide some closure to those of us who were present at the pros and cons & kaos tours.

8. goldenbreast

Currently £65.30 on amazon UK, any recommendations on where it can be bought for less in the UK?

9. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Amazon UK have the Analogue Productions vinyl listed. I pre-ordered it at £41 but I think it's now £65. Also have it ordered at Diverse (price unknown) so will have to cancel one. Release date is given as 27th July.

10. Farthingscat

What will be the difference, apart from price, between the 2 releases?
    Gary

11. SergioRZ

At this point it's still unclear.

EU and US releases seem to have different release dates (EU = June 15, US = July 27).

EU seems to be a direct Sony / Columbia release. The US version seems to have a catalog number from Analogue Productions so it is probably licensed by Sony / Columbia for US release by AP.

And that's pretty much all... mastering is probably the same. Both are 2LP 200g pressings, the actual pressing could be done in QRP for US + EU releases, or it could be pressed at a different factory in Europe (likely Record Insdustry in Holland).

Price for EU release is expected below 30 Euros... a lot cheaper than the US release.

12. kippenhok

kippenhok Forum Resident

Dutch online stores are taking pre-orders for 25 euros, with an expected release date of June 12th. That would suggest the records will be pressed here in Haarlem. For any other pressing plant locations I'd expect higher prices.

SergioRZ likes this.
  13. Zack

Zack Senior Member

14. spintheblack72

I've got it pre ordered from Scott Nangle but a number of members would advise against it, I personally have had no problems from him and have just had 4 MFSL Sinatra & Miles pressings turn up which were dispatched within 24 hrs of ordering, all for £110.

Amazon tend to be a rip off on audiophile product, there is diverse vinyl as well http://www.diversevinyl.com/

£49.99 postage inclusive

15. spintheblack72

Zack likes this.
  16. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Gotta love democracy in action.

To be fair, the poll was about "favorite" versus the "best." ATD is definitely good, but I don't personally like it as much as Pros & Cons or his Floyd masterworks.

Simon A likes this.
  17. goldenbreast

I'm afraid I won't be ordering from Scott again. I waited around 2 months for my order of the doors infinite vinyl to arrive (and I paid for express shipping!), and that was after numerous e-mails and phone calls! Bit of a shame really considering his pricing is great and the fact that I like supporting the independent record shops.

18. spintheblack72

I wouldn't put it up there with his best Floyd work (Meddle, DSOM, WYWH & Animals) but it's more consistent than The Wall and I'll take it over all the post Waters stuff, not really a Barrett fan and while Gilmour is probably favourite musician of all time, his solo stuff is patchy, I like
    I know some have had problems with him but he's been fine with me and usually gets back to me if I email him, as I said I ordered 4 x LP's late Tuesday night and they were with me yesterday, I've paid for ATD and also have Miles Davis Sketches of Spain MFSL on order as Scott said it was due in next week.

Like I said I've had no problem with him but I know the experience others have had haven't been favourable.

19. Farthingscat

Thanks Sergio, seems like we will have to wait to see if the AP version sounds any different.
    Gary

20. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Simon A and jfeldt like this.
  21. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

I'm curious if Amazon will still honor those who pre-ordered the SACD. I pre-ordered mine back in September 2013, however, clicking on the product page in the order details page brings up a 404 page. Hopefully this is just temporary and that Amazon will stock the SACD when it's released.

22. AWESOM-O

AWESOM-O Forum Resident

I also preordered sometime last year, but I am now expecting the order to be canceled. I had ordered the WYWH SACD a couple months ago since Amazon was showing it as temporarily out of stock, even though Acoustic Sounds was selling it as one of the third-party merchants. I asked Amazon why they couldn't stock it but the actual distributor was selling through them; they never really answered me and the order was canceled. Since then, Amazon (and Acoustic Sounds as a third-party) has dropped themselves from offering that and one other APO title I was looking at getting. I'm guessing they're getting out of the Amazon business.

23. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Simon A and eelkiller like this.
  24. Amazon has always had sporadic distribution of AP's releases. It appears in the last year that AP decided only audiophile outlets would officially carry their products.

25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

There are two vinyl versions. One is black vinyl and other is a picture disc. The black vinyl is described as QRP press by Diverse Vinyl.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.