Roger Waters Amused to Death Coming to LP and SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeeS, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Oh, you mean the same sticker AP uses for all their releases now...

Sorry I was mistaken about the sticker.

However, I keep what I've said before: this is not a limited release (well, at least not any more limited than any other standard vinyl release these days). Regardless of what it says on the sticker ;)

And that bit about 1000 units per stamper... hehehe guys, this is not a 2500 units release. Not even a 5000 units release.... let's be "real" about this because this is a huge worldwide release, it doesn't work like the limited AP releases.

I can tell you right now this reissue is the record I've sold more units of in my life, by far :) There is HUGE demand for this, and they will not limit the sales, not at all. They are not crazy... ;)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  2. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

The vinyl I don't have any interest in digital formats for music.

SergioRZ likes this.
  3. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

In the end, I ordered the cd/bluray combo. For anyone that has listened to both the AP SACD and the BD, am I missing out on anything with the SACD?

4. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I don't know, sounds like you got a bad copy. That sort of thing really shouldn't slip through quality control, you're right. My copy is about perfect and I haven't noticed the same problems you note with QRP. I have all the Rush reissues to date (pressed at QRP) and they have been nearly perfect as well. As far as problem pressing plants, I'd put Rainbow, GZ and even RTI (yes RTI) more in the spotlight than QRP. No one puts out 100% flawless vinyl. Based on you're level of disatisfaction, you should definitely return your copy.

What I note about this album as I've played it through several times is that it's just not my cup of tea. That's certainly not QRP's fault, or Waters' for that matter. Just personal taste. I'd much rather play Permanent Waves. In fact, I think that one's up next.

5. Wolfspaw

Wolfspaw Forum Resident

It's worth remembering that Wish You Were Here was one of the original Multi-Channel albums released back in the Quadrophonic era. A lot of research went into determining that 5.1 channels should be the default surround system it is today. Amused to Death was released in Q sound in order to simulate a multichannel experience and it was released just a few short years before modern surround equipment became widely available. We are lucky that we have both the hardware and software that can drive multi-channel tracks and make them sound as good as they are. Of course if you don't like multi-channel that's your choice.

quicksrt and Simon A like this.
  6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

7. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

ALL pressing plants have had their share of problems -- QRP, Pallas, RTI, etc. It doesn't mean that you should accept especially egregious defects, and your own individual standards and playback system will also help determine how sonically imposing or annoying the defect is. But as more and more demand there is on a particular pressing plant, I think the more individual defects are going to occur, even though they may not be consistent. I'm not confident that there is a careful enough job to catch the defects before they get out into the marketplace.

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I might have guessed given your ID, but it thought I'd ask anyway.

9. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I think the best thing about this reissue is that it's alerted me to just how great this album is. Unfortunately, I give too little time to Waters' solo catalog and being able to experience this thing afresh in 2015 has been nothing short of revolutionary for me.

so has anyone been able to determine whether the stereo mix is a full-on remix (the way Waters says in the video) or if it's just the case of a few minor changes here and there and the only significant change being a new mastering?

Simon A likes this.
  10. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

So have we confirmed (by listening) that the Acoustic Sounds and Legacy versions have the exact same masterings?

Superhirez.com has a DSD download version that is credited to Analogue Productions and a 24/192, 24/96 download credited to Legacy.

Also anybody know why they only did 24/96 for the Blu-Ray when there is 24/192 available as a download?

Clanceman likes this.
  11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Haha, you sold tons of this album yet you didn't notice the sticker on the shrinkwrap? But seriously... you think this will stil be available in a year? Because I think a lot of people are buying this because of it's "holy grail" status.

BTW: I have just noticed how expensive Dave Gilmour's "On An Island" has become on vinyl.....

12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Played the vinyl last night. As usual from AP this is fine sounding. No scratches but the odd pop /brief crackle on intros and fades. Flat discs. I haven't had time to compare with the original but I think bass is fuller and a little warmer sounding. No mix differences stood out on one listen but I haven't played the original for several years. Maybe the differences are on the digital versions. This pressing isn't as perfect as other QRP titles that are likely pressed in far more limited runs, but it retails at least £10 below the cost of AP's own releases.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  13. Classicrock

Most of the problems appear to be one off and are difficult to spot or entirely invisible. I have had scratches that are highly audible but only able to spot with a very fine reinspection in the right light. Bar test playing every pressing these are impossible to pick up with any practical level of QC. Having said that small scuffs/scratches caused by mechanical or manual handling or even the stampers are getting too common. On the other hand some records look terrible and play perfect. So how do pressing plants reduce these audible flaws? A good returns policy is essential for vinyl purchases.

14. timson1

timson1 Member

Been waiting for this for years, its in my top 10 albums. I have had it on pre order with Amazon UK (imported vinyl), HD WoW (blu ray), Exlusive disc (SACD).
    Amazon, unavailable, HDwow backordered, Exlusive disc waiting for scan! All to be shipped to New Zealand, The wait continues.

15. jonstatt

jonstatt Forum Resident

Apparently there is less risk of jitter with DTS-HD MA or Dolby True HD , if and only if, the decoding is done inside the AV receiver. I won't go into the technicalities of this, but it is to do with the way the audio is transferred over HDMI which is fundamentally optimised for video.

However, if you have something like an Oppo 105 and decode PCM in the player and use its built in DACs etc, then this problem is a non-issue.

JimW likes this.
  16. jonstatt

jonstatt Forum Resident

I had reported previously that based on my disc 1 I thought it was a very good pressing. Not completely devoid of any clicks or pops, but pretty clean and well pressed. Disc 2 was a disaster. VERY off centre to the point that I could hear it going aaa-eee-aaa-eee with decays on guitar notes as it rotated. Completely unacceptable, so I have got it swapped out. I haven't listened to my replacement yet but I validated it was not off centre on this copy.

So I agree QRP is not quite what I would have hoped in terms of quality afterall. :(

However, I have still yet to hear a record that has zero pops or clicks. I have had several friends who have said they have them....I asked them to play it, and just because they can't hear it doesn't mean it's not there. My ears must be like a hawk or something because I could hear them and when I pointed it out there were shrugged shoulder "oh I never noticed that, or that doesn't count cos its only a mini click"! Having said that, I can stop listening for them and just enjoy the music unless they are too severe or repeated.

17. Classicrock

I agree more minor flaws on this than most QRP pressings I have purchased. However QRP produce the most consistent quality in my experience and their vinyl formula appears to produce a uniquely dark background. The odd dud is always going to get through.

18. jonstatt

jonstatt Forum Resident

It says 1000 units "per stamper", not 1000 units as the overall quantity pressed. I assume they make new father plates (AKA stamper plates) for every 1000 copies. This reduces the risk of contamination or plate damage persisting and accumulating on subsequent pressings (which results in more pops and clicks etc). I read somewhere that a stamper normally presses best after about 200 pressings...can't recall why. Whereas the 1000th copy will likely have more imperfections on it. Of course, this is if AP/QRP are doing what they say they are :)

AnalogJ likes this.
  19. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

:)

20. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Just listening to the vinyl for the first time. It sounds like Roger is singing right in front of me. This is fantastic.

chumlie likes this.
  21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Dino likes this.
  22. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

23. AnalogJ

And none of them do, as far as I know.

24. AnalogJ

I certainly plan to purchase this on vinyl if the reviews are great on the mastering. I'm kind of waiting on a Michael Fremer review.

25. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

I thought you were talking about a sticker specific to this particular release... not the usual AP sticker.

Anyway, yes this is the record I've sold more units of ever, and they are all reservations from my existing customers that contacted me by mail or phone to buy it, so not even one has been in my hands yet, I will receive them tomorrow :)

But like I explained before, I wouldn't give that sticker much credit... this is not a standard AP release, this is something else entirely.

Yes, I'm 99.9% sure this will be available for a long time, there might be some periods of unavailability (like it happens with many non-limited releases) due to factory issues and scheduling, but this is not termed as a Limited release by Sony and there is absolutely no reason to think of it that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.