Roger Waters Amused to Death Coming to LP and SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeeS, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Well, stand by, and I'll report back on disc 2. Now on Side Two and there has been squat so far, by way of unwanted noises.

2. jonstatt

jonstatt Forum Resident

Out of curiosity, what kit are you using? (e.g. phono cartridge etc)

3. culabula

culabula Unread author.

It's being played on a Linn Sondek LP12 with a Linn Arkiv-B cartridge.

Just finished; all four sides pretty damn perfect. When I fancied I heard something untoward it turned out to be an effect of some sort.

This copy bought in Dublin where the € price was cheaper than anywhere else I can find and which equated to 28GBP -at yesterday's rates, some 4GBP cheaper than the best price in Belfast.

4. jonstatt

jonstatt Forum Resident

Nice set-up and good to hear you got a good copy! The Arkiv-B is a good cartridge at masking surface noise more than some other designs which may play a part! Maybe I should get someone in Dublin to ship me a copy if that's where the best pressings landed :)

5. culabula

culabula Unread author.

It was recently rebuilt by ESCO with a new Paratrace diamond....and has been sounding quite amazing ever since.

jonstatt likes this.
  6. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Forum Resident

Is there someone who knows why the 2 standard LPs will be available after July 31th in Italy while in the rest of the world it is already available ?

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

True. We need more hardware!

8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Also note the original legit Amused To Death is a CBS Holland (then Sony/Columbia) and absolutely flawless. They could do great pressings even that late in the day. Can't say MOV have kept to the same standard.

SergioRZ and Simon A like this.
  9. culabula

culabula Unread author.

? Why bring MOV into it ?

10. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

11. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

So I'm a little confused... Do the analogue productions sacd versions feature unique masterings for Wish You Were Here and Amused to Death? For the redbook layer? They say James Guthrie but is that sacd stereo and multi only?

Can someone bring clarity to the AP titles and whether or not they are same mastering of non AP reissues?

12. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Because MOV is the old Sony Holland factory.

Mlle. Aurora and Simon A like this.
  13. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The Scarlet Book specification was changed after those early discs appeared to mandate a stereo SACD layer following complaints from customers (the vast majority of whom were set up for 2-ch listening).

The only M-ch only SACD that I know I have is this one (despite it carrying a SACD Stereo logo on the back cover):

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/2029

Mij Retrac, Simon A and warp2600 like this.
  14. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Oh, I dunno. Any of their pressings I've bought (Freewheelin', Blonde on Blonde, Time Out of Mind) have been superb.

krlpuretone, Pancat and rstamberg like this.
  15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Of MOV pressings purchased in the past 18 months I have returned about half as faulty. You do eventually get a clean copy.

16. mhw58

mhw58 Forum Resident

How are people rating the 5.1 mix? Is it up there with DSOTM and WYWH?

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I would say the Amused to Death 5.1 mix is on a par with the DSOTM on WYWH 5.1 mixes. I'm not a huge fan of the WYWH 5.1 mix. Not that it's bad but I have quite a few 5.1 titles that sound better (immersive with room filling SQ). The Division Bell 5.1 mix puts all other Pink Floyd 5.1 mixes to shame IMO.

Bill

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I went through the same issue with Amazon. It's a long story but I was told that when the Amused to Death CD/Blu-ray set was shipped I would get a discount based on my SACD preorder price of $23.41. That didn't happen and it took several phone calls to get it straightened out.

Bill

Simon A likes this.
  19. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Like the Hal samples on Perfect Sense Pt 1 around the minute mark.

While Im partial to the original version, the new melody guitars in Bravery are pretty awesome too.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    LuciferSam341, PROG U.K. and Simon A like this.
  20. PteroDon

PteroDon Forum Resident

Ive listened to a friends blueray & was most impressed, but 5.1 is not really my thing.
    Frustratingly , I'm still waiting for my AP vinyl from Amazon UK . Actually i'm still waiting for an "anticipated" delivery date .
    Surely soon??? Anyone have any info?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

LP arrived today from Acoustic Sounds. Worth the wait. Fantastic.

SergioRZ, PteroDon and Simon A like this.
  22. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

Finally got my CD/Blu copy today. A few random thoughts...

1 - The packaging on this is AWFUL. I am hoping someone makes some kind of replacement casing that can use a real case of sorts such as a Blu-Ray double disc case as I'm too afraid my discs are going to get scratched up pulling them in and out.

2 - I keep expecting the organ swell to kick in at the start of "Bravery" instead of dead silence in that spot. That's one thing I really don't like on this new remix..

3 - There is some nice uses of the rear speakers on the 5.1 mix but I feel most of the time it's the typical James Guthrie "use the rears for ambiance" method. Which for a Floyd related album is a huge let down.

But...

4 - The explosion/crash sound between the two parts on "Late Home" scared the living crap out of me.

5 - Uuuhhhh.... where is all the cool interviews and music videos that is being put on Roger's YouTube channel on this disc? There's more than enough storage space to place them on the disc trust me. Weak sauce.

Billy Infinity and Matze S. like this.
  23. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

What mix of "What God Wants" is on the HMV exclusive Blu? Is it the video version or the album version?

24. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Is this the most expensive double LP at 33 1/3 released recently? Was looking to buying the vinyl, but $50.00 is a little too much,
    not being a big fan of Roger Waters to begin with. I sure hope this is not a upward trend in vinyl prices.

25. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Could they have made the Blu-Ray sleeve any tighter? I smudged the disc all up getting it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.