Roger Waters Amused to Death Coming to LP and SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeeS, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdeon

bdeon Forum Resident

A little late to the game. I have the gold Mastersound but as with the Mofi gold re-releases I lost the internal coin flip and ended up repurchasing the Analogue Productions SACD version. Upon initial listen it does sound like most AP SACD albums do when compared to their gold precursors (thinking Steppenwolf here for instance).... A little smoother, slightly lower in volume, a bit more Crankable. I find this disc (talking the redbook layer here) follows the trend which makes me happy....except for the one re-mixed track in the whole damn disk..."The Bravery if Being out of Range". Why is the this one track remixed completely while the rest of the album sounds as the original? Did anyone else notice this.... Drives me crazy...now I'll have to keep both disks to hear the original version 97% remastered plus an outlier. Does the AP version SACD layer have this swap out?

2. denesis

denesis Forum Resident

Marv Albert's play-by-play on Perfect Sense part 2 differs from the original, so I think more than just one track has been remixed.

bdeon likes this.
  3. bdeon

bdeon Forum Resident

You're correct.... I'd have to listen again to catch others. But my radar was on full alert after these 2 songs and I don't recall other aggregious remixes. But my listen in the car vs much higher scrutiny at home could make the difference. At least I have the gold (original mix) so I guess I really can't complain (as Stan Ridgway would put it )

4. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Based on my recollection, changes were made to the new version on 'bravery' and 'perfect sense' 1&2 ? with a new version of its a miracle as well. Guthrie interview on braindamage I think, i'm sure someone has a detailed answer.

blu ray also has some alternate mixes on the 5.1 and stereo screens if you toggle to them

5. fra_pe

fra_pe Forum Resident

Don't want to go through all those pages: probably someone knows the answer right away....
    There are two SACD editions? One from AP and one from Japan? Any differences?

6. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Yes, the disc in the US version is impossible to release from the hub without breaking the hub or cracking the center hole. I sent 3 of them back. The Japanese version releases without issue.

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm listening to the Amused to Death 5.1 mix from the Blu-ray and have to say it sounds quite good! My earlier listens were with small monitor surrounds which were replaced by full range floor standing speakers. The difference is quite significant and makes this 5.1 mix much more enjoyable :).

8. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

If there is any album (and artist) that screams multichannel it is this one. Sound effects galore on this one. Is This The Life NEEDS a new 5.1 mix!

Bill Mac likes this.
  9. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Wow, hard to think I have not listened to my gold cd in almost 25 years!

10. Hymie the Robot

No rears on gold disc :)

11. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

QSound might make you think it does, though. ;)

12. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

While James is there let him do a new stereo mix as well. Let's get a quote from das boot :)

rontoon and Bill Mac like this.
  13. Hymie the Robot

I made a 5.1 upmix disc of Is This The Life We Really Want, but listening to the CD on two speakers, loud, from the sweet spot, will make you turn your head at least a few times before you remember it is only two speakers jamming. Compare it to the new Sgt. Peppers stereo remix, everything stays up front in that mix. Truly night and day when you compare the two.

14. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Carlox, RK2249 and Hymie the Robot like this.
  15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

After not giving the vinyl reissue of ATD much thought as I read there were some minor changes to it. I recently ran across Fremer's review in Analog Planet of it and it reads as if it is the best sounding vinyl he has heard or at least one of them, gave the sound an (11), I decided to buy it and will receive my copy today...these $55 albums can be a bit much, but if the sound is what I am expecting, well worth it for this masterpiece!

I have the 1st pressing Japanese mini sleeve CD of it, and the sound is off the chart amazing for a CD, one of the best I have ever heard in that format. But being such a vinyl fanatic, I can't wait to fire this up later! I'm a pure two channel stereo/mono listener, but respect fans of the multi channel format, especially this type of album.

I also feel that ATD ranks with Pink Floyd's best albums, right up there with Meddle and Animals...not quite as good, but close.

16. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I am a pretty big PF fan I've been struggling with this album since it came out and it never changes-I don't think the songs are very good.

I do have it on Blu Ray and SACD at a fair cost.....the perils of this hobby.

17. Hymie the Robot

They're not very good. They are great. The album is epic. Check out post 1377 to understand its full potential.

18. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Well I don't do anything other than stereo and we will agree to disagree about the songs-the best of Floyd's albums will always appear in the greatest ever lists-ATD never will. I rate the songs on Waters new album as more concise, better crafted and more affecting than ATD but hey it quite clearly has strong support with certain fans. I will list again in the forthcoming as I've not listened o it since I made several changes to my system.

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Did you find any SQ differences between the ATD Blu-ray and SACD? I bought the CD/Blu-ray set when first released as it was less expensive than the SACD. I was tempted to grab the SACD when Acoustic Sounds had the big SACD sale but figured it was not worth getting.

20. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

From memory at the time-no. I'm not even sure from memory I was that impressed in the step up from CD I'm sure I checked at the time......but I will check it out again.....

21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

No kidding! The title track is one of his best songs!!! And when Jeff Beck cuts loose on Three Wishes...never understood why some do not get this masterpiece...he even wanted this to be the last PF album...but we got The Final Cut (still a good one) but no where in the same league as this classic!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I think it's quite simple why lots don't get ATD. It doesn't have the superb mixture of music, lyrics, atmosphere, cohesion and sonics that the high water Floyd output had. In terms of concept it doesn't have the universal appeal and humanity-there's a lot of compassion and a reflective nature balanced out with Waters precise angry criticism in the best of his writing....on ATD a lot of it just sounds like hectoring and ranting which he nailed much better on Animals. It's simply a lot more fragmented sounding record.....it's not without it's moments but it is no classic but a record that has very strong appeal for a small minority who rate it as a classic but that's the beauty of music....if you are enjoying it to that level that's all that matters.

PhantomStranger and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

First I've heard of that...

24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Does not have the superb mixtures of music/sonics...seriously??? We all have are own tastes, and please, I do respect your opinion. But yes, this album is either loved or misunderstood. Thanks for responding, always want to hear all feedback, even if we do not agree.

Lot of talk on how he brought demos of TFC and ATD to the band and of course the rest is history. I have heard that from a lot of music label associates. But maybe just folklore...

25. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

My understanding is that TFC was originally going to be Spare Bricks: some new versions of Wall songs from the movie and a few new ones. When the Falklands war began, Waters got on a roll and wrote a completely new album. No idea how ATD fits into this. ATD was originally planned for '88 as Radio KAOS Part II. The finished ATD is a mixture of that and new material. But again, that is my understanding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.