Roger Waters Amused to Death Coming to LP and SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeeS, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

I thought he shopped Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking and TFC to Floyd and they opted for the latter.

2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yes, this is correct.
    This is all pretty accurate too but I'm not sure if anything from the Compass Point sessions (for Radio KAOS 2) made it to ATD.

Matthew Tate and JediJoker like this.
  3. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Are you sure it wasn't The Wall/Pros & Cons instead of The Final Cut/Pros & Cons? That's what I have read more than once, anyway.

JediJoker likes this.
  4. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I believe it was a choice between Pros & Cons and The Wall, not TFC.

JediJoker likes this.
  5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yes, this is what I meant to quote. Waters presented demos of The Wall and Pros and Cons to the band for them to choose a follow up album to Animals. The one they didn't pick would become a Waters solo album.

Sytze and JediJoker like this.
  6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

So I got my AP vinyl last Friday and yes it does sound really good (way too much surface noise though), not an (11) for sound quality, maybe a (9)...my issues with it, way too digital sounding for vinyl and do not like the new mix/adds that were made for this version. My 1st pressing Japanese mini sleeve CD (MHCP 693/Bar code ending 051592) sounds much better too me. My CD sounds more analog in sound and I prefer the original recording 100 times more than the new one.

Why in the world they had to go a mess with a near perfect album is beyond me, just my opinion, but I also feel AP releases much better sounding albums than the way this ended up.

One of my friends has a like new pressing of the original vinyl, but will not part with it, even offered to trade one of my 1st pressings of DSOTM, which is still in the original shrink (with hype sticker) and with all of the goodies and got laughed at...oh well.

My comments about TFC and ATD earlier came from a Columbia exec., so as I thought, folklore.

7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It does sound good but my copy is also noisy (worse than I remembered when I played it more recently). However some remixing which is hard to notice, inferior packaging and it must be from digital due to the remix. Original was on dead quiet virgin vinyl, all analogue and in a slipcase which included a nice booklet of lyrics and credits rather than tiny writing crammed onto the inside gatefold. Originals were pressed at Sony/Columbia Holland which is now Record Industry. They don't achieve this quality of pressing today and Quality pressings appear incapable of getting anywhere near it. All the reissue has served to do is make the scarce original more desirable.

UncleHalsey and scotti like this.
  8. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Late to the party but recently picked up the Analogue Productions 2LP and finally got a chance to listen.

Massive sound! Listening on my upstairs system through KEF LS50s (no sub). What a huge powerful sound. "What God Wants" rocks the house.

Really impressive.

9. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

Brilliant, isn't it?

Carlox likes this.
  10. Echoes Myron

It is indeed.

myles and LEONPROFF like this.
  11. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

I've been waiting to get a deal on the vinyl set. However, the cd and high res files sound nice.

12. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Funnily enough I sat down a listened to this album today. It is in my top five favourite albums of all time but I like to listen to it sparingly both because I like retain an element of freshness and because it is rather heavyweight to be a regular listen! I have both the new Analogue Productions vinyl and the original analogue vinyl. What I will say is that the new AP version sounds sublime but the original analogue cut is true reference grade material. The depth of the sound is what staggers me most, it is so utterly immersive. It felt like a more gentle, smoother, less forced version of 5.1. Every tiny detail picked out (and there are so many on this album) and introduced immaculately into the soundscape. I bought my copy of the original when it first came out and I was the tender age of 15. I played it a few times and it came in and out of the black paper sleeves a fair few times so it not mint - I would grade it as Excellent. The odd crackle here and there particularly in quieter sections and one nasty pop during Watching TV. Whatever, it remains a staggering listen in terms its content, it production and sound quality.

mozz, Echoes Myron, Matt S and 2 others like this.
  13. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Really?? Acoustic Sounds had a 50% off a slew of their titles a few months ago and this was one of them.

14. myles

The soundstage on the remaster is so wide....hearing the dialogue on the Ballad of Bill Hubbard so far over to my left is stunning.

15. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

Late to the party... anybody has a full list of difference in the stereo remastered version (in terms of the mix)?

"Perfect Sense, Part I"
    added HAL 9000 dialogue (same as live version version)
    different mix

"Perfect Sense, Part II"
    Additionnal lines by Marv Albert (same as live version)
    different mix

"The Bravery of Being Out of Range"
    different mix, including different Rog vocals, saxophone at the end, different chorus voices, added guitars and synths

"What God Wants, Part III
    different mix?

"Watching TV"
    different mix? (vocals between Rog and Don Henley)

"Amused to death"
    different mix (vocals)

Matt S likes this.
  16. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

45 RPM box set. 4 lp's. 200-Gram. Pressed at QRP.

AAPP 468761-45.

$125.00

Analogue Productions.

Coming soon.

17. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

And though I bought a ton of discs in that Sale the Roger Waters wasn’t one of them.
    Had to draw the line somewhere but wish I’d stretched that line a little further to get this one

18. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

Original mix or the 2015 remix?

19. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

"Features remastered audio completed by longtime Roger Waters / Pink Floyd collaborator James Guthrie."

Latest Acoustic Sounds catalog. Page 24.

20. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

Looks like the 2015 remix then, since it uses the updated artwork made for the remix.

JediJoker and Jerry Horne like this.
  21. Echoes Myron

The AP 2LP is so good but I am really tempted to hear this on 45.

22. Echoes Myron

I am 100% in for the 45 set.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Should sound really powerful from those hi-rez files used to cut the records.

24. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

The AP release sounds great but AAA release of this album will be hard to pass up even if it is £135

Gary

25. myles

I'm wondering just how good it will be in comparison to the AP release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.