Roger Waters and Nick Mason answer fan questions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by supermd, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supermd

supermd Senior Member Thread Starter

I found this cool video on YouTube of the guys having fun reminiscing. Enjoy!

2. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

That was quite enjoyable. I love how they handled the questions that might cause too much tension, they either joked or just threw them away.

klockwerk and supermd like this.
  3. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

Very cool. Thanks for posting it.

supermd likes this.
  4. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Superb.

supermd likes this.
  5. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Yeah, it was a nice bonus to see that at the end of Roger Waters The Wall when it was shown in theaters.

marc with a c likes this.
  6. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Roger intoning Nick's first line from 'One of these Days'... priceless.

7. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

17:17 Does Nick say that Gilmour would or wouldn't describe himself as Nick's friend?

8. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I love this clip so much - I only saw it for the first time last month, but it's amusing to me that non-Brits in the YouTube comments are barking on about how uncomfortable it is and how they dislike each other because they're being insulting to each other.

To me, there's no deeper indication of being friends with someone for so long (and it's getting on for six decades with these two) when you can rib each other and make jokes about dubious past mistakes. It's really heartwarming, after the decade-plus of estrangement to see them bantering and enjoying each others' company.

Whenever you see recent-ish clips of Mason or Waters with Gilmour, there's nearly always a sort of stiff formality to their interactions, even if it's cordial, but you can tell these two are genuine friends.

9. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Funny how people can watch the same thing and come away with completely different impressions. Mason didn't strike me as being as a complete friend nor did Waters. There was a tension that it was obvious both didn't want to touch, so yes, that seems to me to be friendship and a desire to get along and the connection is deep and long lasting but I didn't come away from it feeling like there is Bono and the Edge or Mills and Buck (if my impression of those guys is correct).

klockwerk likes this.
  10. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Especially the part where Waters says he did nothing wrong, but implies that David and Nick did.

DementedAvenger, Keith V and Paully like this.
  11. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Amazing!

supermd likes this.
  12. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

excellent. That question about tearing down their own inner walls really got me.

supermd likes this.
  13. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

To me I see that as Waters being funny and sarcastic but not being serious with his answer.

PhoffiFozz, Keith V and supermd like this.
  14. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

No, Waters is pretty pompous. I think he truly believes he was right and Gilmour (and Mason) wrong about Floyd, post-The Final Cut.

15. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I don't get pompous from this at all, except in a very jocular way. It's very British, so I guess it's lost in translation...

16. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I watched this last night. It’s beautiful all around.

supermd likes this.
  17. supermd

supermd Senior Member Thread Starter

Friendly bump for those who may have missed this.

18. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

It's been a long time but I feel like I remember Nick either flat out says or alludes in his book that he and Roger have always been pretty close even when things between Dave and/or Rick vs Rog was happening.

Paully and klockwerk like this.
  19. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Its funny how these musicians who are asked about past members, they always answer the same way, with some mumbling phrases and corny laughs.

20. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

I think he says David wouldn’t describe himself as Nick’s friend, but I took it to mean, if David were considering the people Nick socializes with, David wouldn’t consider himself among them.

I am a firm believer in transformative power of working together, but it’s a funny thing we throw on people like that, that we hope they’re still friends. I think they’re probably so much more than friends, or family, or former co-workers. They’ve been associated with each other for over 50 years at this point, and they probably don’t feel the need to ‘hang out’ together very often. That’s OK. I’m sure they share memories that none of us will ever understand.

DockBoggs likes this.
  21. vulcangascompany

vulcangascompany Forum Resident

"you're not a musician - you're a drummer!" ha lots of love here, great set up - i thought it was very funny in a way English 'lads' behave after a few lunchtime sherrys..

supermd and DementedAvenger like this.
  22. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

In fairness, Roger has said a number of times in recent years, that he was wrong to try and stop the others from using the Pink Floyd name.

Pinknik likes this.
  23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember an interview in Q in the 90's where they asked Mason who was his best friend, and his answer started "since Roger left the band..."

24. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

Very enjoyable, thanks for sharing!

supermd likes this.
  25. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Wonderful and loved the end re Hans Keller....lol.....

supermd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.