Roger Waters DVD - THE WALL - LIVE IN BERLIN

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pinknik, Mar 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

While not my favorite concert video of all time, still something I'll probably buy at some point, assuming it's true:

from www.musictap.net:

"Mercury is releasing Roger Waters' "The Wall - Live in Berlin" in DVD format on May 20. This has previously been released as a VHS title in 1996. This is a tasty title for all you Pink Floyd fans and one to pencil in on the calendars or key into your PDAs."

2. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I always found the LaserDisc enjoyable. I'll probably get this too. DVDs are soooo cheap compared to the old Lasers!

3. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

Yup, and while I enjoyed the laser, I was always fairly disappointed in the soft picture quality. I'm hoping for a major video overhaul compared to that release. Seems like I saw a Scorpion's video shortly after that show that included footage from it that was much better looking. The article didn't mention whether a 5.1 mix was planned. Stereo's all I have right now, anyways. Now here's hoping for PULSE, DELICATE SOUND OF THUNDER and LIVE AT POMPEII.

4. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

After the Peter Gabriel 'Secret World Live' was cropped to fake widescreen, overcompressed, and (maybe) even had the original stereo remixed, I'm starting to get more cautious about automatically replacing my concert laserdiscs with DVDs.

Hopefully we get the original aspect ratio, quality authoring, and the original stereo mix at a decent bitrate (or PCM) in addition to the new 5.1 mix.

FYI, I did see a 5.1 mix mentioned in another article (didn't save the URL).

5. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

I've got the laser of this, too, and pull it out from time to time. It just such a *spectacle* -- the enormous stage, the huge military bands marching around, Waters singing one number from an "apartment" built into the set several stories up. My favorite is the Scorpions arriving on stage in a limo, getting up onto the the back of a big flatbed truck containing their equipment, playing a song, then the truck driving away with the *real* stage (with full symphony orchestra) revealed behind it. :eek:

I saw an article somewhere that said this would have a 5.1 mix, a Roger Waters/Gerald Scarfe commentary, and a 30-minute behind the scenes documentary. I might pick it up if it's relatively cheap. It's an increasing pain to fire up the laserdisc player as it's relegated to more and more out-of-the-way places in my living room... :)

Ryan

6. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

I never bought into laser discs, but I do have this title on VHS. I would welcome an upgrade of any fashion.

I played this one for my kids (18 and 16) and they both commented that this may just be the most elaborate rock show ever staged...........

..........and I'm hard pressed to find one that equals the "spectacle".

7. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I would look forward to this one on dvd too. hopefully with lots of extras. I was lucky enough to have been at the actual concert and the vhs video has always been a let down the colors seem washed out. It was a fun show with a lot of technical difficulties that don't show up on the video unless you recorded the live feed that was sent throughout Europe.

I was in the front row up against the barricades and could actually see the look on Rogers face as some of the sound outages happened, he actually took it with humor and at one point did a short tap dance to entertain the audience (since there was no sound.) Quite an amazing reaction given Roger's reputation for being a perfectionist etc... Just think, a one off concert that cost millions to produce being broadcast to millions and an estimated crowd of 300,000 (figures vary some even more) at your feet and power failures in the middle of the show. Since timing was so important to hit the cues with the large puppets etc they had to just keep going and couldn't redo parts until after the show.
    I was also there for some rehearsals and the night before they had a full dress performance that went off perfectly (with only partial demolition of the wall) it was a great concert and the people were all very celebratory and positive all around me were people from around the world.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

That is a great link, Pinknik. There's gonna be some great stuff out this summer.

9. Audio72

Audio72 Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.