Roger Waters 'Us + Them' Tour 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Well, I'm curious as to why any of his current statements has come as a surprise to you now? To my mind he's not exactly been reticent about expressing his displeasure at certain political climates previously, or even in his music.

2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Careful with that political discussion, Eugene. :whistle:

3. PretzelLogic

Oh I give not a hoot about political views or discussions here. I'm just interested to see why something that's been obvious for the last three decades of Roger Waters' solo career is now suddenly so untenable.

But, fair point, if it's going to provoke discord, let's not go down that route.

warewolf95 and rontoon like this.
  4. Spsesq

Spsesq Forum Resident

You pose a valid and legitimate question. My answer is because I didn't know back then. I did not usually look out for any particular artist's views or opinions. I was ignorant to Roger Waters' particular views and I only recently discovered his opinions. Therefore, he may have held those very same views for a long period of time, which lends to his consistency, buy my "awareness" of those views are relatively recent, hence my recent position.

5. PretzelLogic

Cool, that's fair enough. It's a shame when that happens, and hope you still get some pleasure out of the old stuff.

Spsesq and rontoon like this.
  6. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

Can't believe people pay for these Shenanigans... what a shame all that fake singing. Has any journalist even cared to push the truth out?

7. Spsesq

Spsesq Forum Resident

Thanks for your reply.. And yes I still love Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall. His politics do not affect my listening of those albums over and over. I just won't buy new recordings or see him again live...not a major sacrifice...

thestereofan, Kalli and rontoon like this.
  8. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

At about the 5 minute and 3 second mark it looks like he forgot to get back to lip syncing. That is just terrible but the whole thing is more of a spectacle visually than a live concert.

Kalli, rontoon and The_Windmill like this.
  9. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

I don't like the female singers at all.
    The voice, I mean.
    They seem like glued over the whole thing, non really belonging.

10. The_Windmill

haw can you forget with all the rehearsals you're supposed to have done and all the times you've singed / lip-synced the thing before?

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  11. The_Windmill

also
    *not talking politics here*

I've seen a Pigs recording on the other thread and I find the contemporary references on the back screen to be taking away from the enjoyment of the music.
    I know this is exactly the point of this tour, but I find it redundand, eccessive and obsessive.
    I feel like: "Ok, Rog, it's really too easy, like this".

warewolf95, Spsesq and rontoon like this.
  12. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Looking at the set list, i would have liked to see a few ATD tracks in there, especially given the recent-ish re-release :(

Matthew Tate and tedhead like this.
  13. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

I have excellent, front row second tier, mid-priced tickets for Roger's Aug. 3 harangue near Detroit. PM me if interested.

14. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Politics are banned...but what about Orwell's Animal Farm? Can we discuss whether that is still relevant in this day and age? That album does form one of the key promotional backdrops to the tour.

Roger threads are a land mine. 50% of the most important issues/topics are off limits. ;)

Billy Infinity likes this.
  15. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

That being said...Roger...just give me one "If" or "Free Four" and you get a pass for life...

ALB123 likes this.
  16. ALB123

ALB123 Forum Resident

Every tour Roger has done since he went back on the road in 1999 has been a Greatest Hits show, except for The Wall tour. Even his "Dark Side of the Moon Tour", DSoTM is practically one big greatest hits lineup to begin with and it wasn't even 50% of the show. Now, did you really think he would do 50% solo 50% Floyd, or were you hoping that's what he did. Frankly, I would love it if Roger did 100% solo material...I've seen him do the Floyd oldies enough. I can't believe I'm saying that considering until 1998 I never thought I'd ever have a chance to see him perform...ever. That In The Flesh tour of 1999 was his best, in my opinion. He was younger, he didn't need to lip synch anything at all...the shows were much smaller in size because he was still relatively unknown to this whole new generation of new RW fans. I think I had an ear to ear smile from the opening note to the last bar of that first 1999 show I saw.

I've always been amazed that I love Roger's material as much as I do considering I don't agree with him completely on his "world view" (trying not to use the P word). In my heart, I do...I would love for everything to be absolutely perfect for every man, woman and child. No hunger. No disease. No war. No poverty. No hate. The thing that I find crazy is, most people who know who Roger Waters is - not just casual Floyd fans who like their radio played songs only - I think they would be well aware of his "world views" and how he's always been very outspoken about being anti-war (Corporal Clegg anyone?)...but all of a sudden, Roger has come under the spotlight for his "world views" because of one stupid symbol he drew on an inflatable pig. :sigh: Once people got upset about that, all of a sudden certain groups of people wanted to really take him to task for those "world views".

Oh man...You're so right. There are so, so many awesome songs that both he and David neglect. I was so happy when David started playing a few older tracks, like Wot's, Uh the Deal? in his concerts some years back. It really saddens me that David has always avoided Animals like it were the plague. In my opinion, the 3 core songs, not the love song Roger wrote for his girl, but Dogs, Pigs 3DO & Sheep represent the pinnacle of Pink Floyd musicianship. To me, Gilmour's guitar work was the finest he did under the Floyd banner. Even David's bass guitar on Sheep was pretty awesome too! Roger Waters electric guitar playing on Sheep was really good! Mason was steady as always...That drum pattern in Dogs - it's so slow any first year drummer could probably play that part, but it's inventing it that's brilliant. He might not be a world class drummer by traditional standards, but I doubt there was another drummer on earth who would have kicked the beat like Nick did. Finally, how great was Richard's playing on the keys? Thank God for Rick & David...

Anyway, have you ever seen a Roger Waters setlist from his 1987 Radio KAOS tour? Talk about awesome... It's too bad there were only like 9 people in the crowd watching this genius perform. :realmad:

Roger Waters Setlist at Arie Crown Theater, Chicago

I admit, I'm a tad disappointed in the setlist from the New Jersey rehearsal show...but, I'm not surprised. :(

Spsesq and Kalli like this.
  17. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Damn. :cheers:

Say It Right likes this.
  18. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Maybe he's listening to something else going on with the song while the band is playing?
    I've seen a few dress rehearsals, where the band kept playing, while the leader of the band stopped playing and noted things that may need to be changed musically.

I guess its considered "lip syncing" to sing along to a pre-recorded vocal?

While I'd be more bothered with an up and coming act doing it, I'm less bothered by Roger doing it.
    Its a massive expensive production, and the 70 year old plus guy running the show can't really afford to get sick or vocally worn down causing missed dates.
    So to cut down on the wear and tear on Roger he sings to a pre-recorded track to strengthen the show's vocal, as well as save himself for the tour.

But like with any other crutch or help aid, someone can become reliant on it.
    After all, look at Ozzy Osbourne, the guy has sung those Sabbath tunes a million times, but still looks down at the monitors to help him with the words.
    Something that quite a few older artists now do for shows.

Preston, The_Windmill and ALB123 like this.
  19. ALB123

ALB123 Forum Resident

I know...right?! I wish I were just 2-3 years older...I probably would have attended a show in 1987. Oh...that would have been heaven. They had a phone booth setup and the audience could ask Roger questions at different points of the show - Jim Ladd was on tour with Roger acting like the DJ of this fake radio station, KAOS. I had a bootleg of one show on cassette where someone in the audience knew it was one of Roger's kid's birthday and he got the rest of the crowd to start up an impromptu version of "Happy Birthday". I can't remember if it was his son's or daughter's b-day.

20. I caught his Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking Tour and what a great show THAT was. He Played "If", The Gunner's Dream and Set The Controls PLUS the entire Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking album!

ALB123 and lucan_g like this.
  21. Very easily.

I noted U2 using teleprompters in Seattle last week also.

The_Windmill likes this.
  22. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I was at that half capacity show. Got a great recording from it and took a few photos. Landed a backstage pass and pretty much everyone in the band signed my tour program. Had to wait outside for Roger's van to pull up and stop for a few fans to get his. Great night.

PDK, Matadorman, ALB123 and 2 others like this.
  23. JoeD

JoeD Forum Resident

You can't even blame it on age in some cases. Axl Rose has been using a teleprompter since the early 90s when he was in his early 30s.

Efus likes this.
  24. I was hoping indeed to see a show based on solo material, something told me he was finally up for that.

I have always felt that In The Flesh was an "experiment" to see how many folks he could attract after being out of the touring business for years. With Dark Side and The Wall he inserted the big visuals again and he was like saying "Hey, I'm Pink Floyd, ok?" Those tours were successful, so mission accomplished.

With the whole "Us+Them" theme of his latest effort, I had high hopes to see him performing songs from The Final Cut, Pros & Cons, Radio KAOS and Amused To Death. People will buy tickets anyway, if that is his concern.

Tell me how The Gunner's Dream, The Final Cut, Sexual Revolution, Every Stranger's Eyes, Who Needs Information, Home, Late Home Tonight, Too Much Rope, What God Wants ... would not fit that general theme. Even more so than Breathe or Wish You Were Here. With his current band it shouldn't be too difficult to come up with fresh arrangements.

Given that my hopes for a Roger Waters Archive Collection are very low (I'm quite sure he has concert recordings of Pros and KAOS), I only see a huge missed opportunity.

ALB123 and Billy Infinity like this.
  25. Efus

Efus Senior Member

He's played less solo material every subsequent tour after the '99 one, and the occasional new music he played wasn't well received.
    So he's now going out flogging a new album in huge arenas, and its a missed opportunity to not play more old solo material?
    I can't agree with you there.

Folks are going to see Roger peform Pink Floyd tunes, long time fans get to see/hear some new songs.
    I don't think a healthy selection of Pros/Cons or KAOS tunes is going to cut it for who's going to be out there.

But to run with your idea, Roger could pull a solo tour off.
    Cut down on the spectacle, play smaller places, advertise that the set is drawn from his solo work, and then only bust out 2,3 of the really old Floyd tunes (pre-DSOTM) for an encore.

lucan_g and Billy Infinity like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.