Roger Waters 'Us + Them' Tour 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ALB123

ALB123 Forum Resident

Oh man...You are so lucky! I know that tour must have been absolutely devastating to Roger. We all know the stories...Floyd playing the same city selling 45,000 tix...Roger selling 3,500 -- For as much as he hated those large crowds, most of whom were "just there for the beer", it has to be painful knowing YOUR songs are killing it on a different tour than your own, but at the same exact time as your tour because of two little words: pink floyd. From my own psycho fan perspective, which I'm sure you can attest to, seeing Roger without 20,000 screaming, whistling A-holes must have been awesome. The anonymity he craved came back to haunt him and that really blows. I don't think that even could happen nowadays with the internet - its just too easy to disseminate information and quickly educate people. Heck, there's a reason his promoters still insist on him going on the road as "the creative genius of Pink Floyd" and after his DSoTM & The Wall tours he's practically a household name now.
    You and I are two pages from the same book. Stupid 18 year old me was floored when I learned Rog would not be touring after the '92 release of Amused to Death. In my opinion, ATD is by far his most mature work...ever. It's not pop friendly like Dark Side, but thematically Amused to Death could have been one freakin' killer road show if he had 1/3rd of the touring budget he has now. Once it was known he would tour ATD due to perceived lack of interest I was convinced he would never be on the road again. If you asked me if I thought any of my musical heroes would be writing albums and touring in their 70s and 80s I would have laughed at you. I agree with you on the '99 tour. That was Roger dipping his toe in the water to see if people still gave a crap about him. For as devastated he must have been in 1987, he must have been equally floored, this time with awe, at how well received he was on that '99 tour. It was awesome to hear ATD songs live, finally. I even got What God Wants pt 1 at the show I saw in Massachusetts.
    Unfortunately, I do agree with you that you can pack the butts in the seats, but you better give the audience what they want. Look at how ridiculous ticket prices have gotten. Who an afford those tickets? Generally older, financially established people and those people want to hear the hits like you say. I also agree that if it were done properly, I think Roger Waters could totally pull of a tour with 90% solo stuff, 10% Floyd. Give the fans SOYCD, WYWH & C-Numb (maybe throw in Brain Damage/Eclipse because it makes a great show closer) and the rest could be his solo stuff. The shows wouldn't be as enormous as The Wall or this upcoming Us & Them tour, but he would still sell out the vast majority of arenas. Now that he's pretty much established himself as "that dude from Pink Floyd who puts on the craziest concerts ever!!" to a new generation...many who have parents who grew up on Floyd, I think they could do it. Perhaps they'd need to release a RW Greatest Solo Hits album (and throw in a few live performances of his PF songs as bait) and there would probably be plenty of interest from people who have to go just to see the spectacle that is a Roger Waters show.

And then again...Maybe these are all just the delusions of a rabid fan - I admit that Roger (and the other Floyd boys) are my favorites of all time. So maybe I'm looking at this with a skewed perspective.

anth67, Zeki and rontoon like this.
  2. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I saw Black Sabbath last year and Ozzy was amazingly good. I was impressed with his energy. Even more impressive was the Who. I saw them in Kansas City and it was the first show after they paused the tour due to Roger getting sick. He was well-rested and amazingly strong in his singing. So, your point is well-taken! The entire tour had to stop because of the illness of one person. Of course, a very important person, but ...

3. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

What is the best full show recording from that tour? I've heard some pro recordings, but they are all partial shows.

4. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The partial Westwood One recording is the best. My favorite full shows are from Poplar Creek and Arie Crown, both hometown shows recorded by the famous Analogue Rick B.

Catch the full dress rehearsal here while you can.

mgb70, Joe Paul, Kalli and 2 others like this.
  5. JuhaS

JuhaS Forum Resident

So he even has a stunt-bassist now...

puffyrock2, Kalli and rontoon like this.
  6. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

My pass and a few photos can be found here:

Roger Waters - Roger Waters 14 November 1987 KAOS - Pink Floyd - A Fleeting Glimpse

PDK likes this.
  7. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

8. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yes, they had a phone in during the break. Jay was a really nice guy, met him backstage.

9. Matadorman

Matadorman Forum Resident

I remember the "Call from the hall" when the Kaos tour hit Toronto didn't work out too well. One caller was a very drunk/stoned person who's question didn't seem to make any sense, another posed a very good political question to Roger but unfortunately the crowd started booing this poor fellow.

10. Finally a video recording of Smell The Roses can be found on YouTube (from the dress rehearsal last week).

Excellent screen videos Roger is using there. Very disturbing scenes, I wonder if they were created for the song or taken from an existing film. It just looks too good, so different from the other visuals. The woman who takes off her face at the end of the instrumental break stands out.

11. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

The phone booth thing was really cool. I saw KAOS 1/2 house atlantas omni. Rog basically had to do 3 things i doubt he wanted to do, be funny, defend the police, and flat out lie to us about a possible floyd reunion. The 2 questions I remember was someone asking if Pink FLoyd would reunite and do the wall tour in which ROg (remember this is 88 2 years after the big battle in the courts and the rolling stone article, the dry ice is theirs everything else is mine) and he says YES its a definite possibility (I was hoping he would go on a rant that he is floyd but nah took the easy road and lied to us). The 2nd question, some kid tells ROG that the police are here for your correction, not your protection to which ROG laughed and had to start defending the police.

KAOS was an awesome tour even for 1/2 house. I really liked the direction Rog was going rather than that scary riff that was the theme in hitchiking

12. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

REALLY hope he'll change some Floyd songs from the set

As I posted on the other thread, with the exception of 'One Of These Days' there's nothing really new. He's played and over played all that Floyd material on previous tours
    What happened with 'Fearless'?

:shake:

rontoon likes this.
  13. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  14. segue

15. segue

[​IMG]
    happy birthday Holly ! Show #1 ready...

16. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

His vocals leave a lot to be desired.

Grant, Kalli and Bernard hansen like this.
  17. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

aah, those old times times when angry Rog didn't even want to consider the name "Pink Floyd" on one of his posters...

mr._mojo_filter and Kalli like this.
  18. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I saw Roger's Kansas City show last night. It was an amazing concert. The visual aspect of it was stunning. The band was excellent and played great. The crowd of about 18,000 was screaming often, all excited.

During an extended sequence from the "Animals" album, Roger's political views became apparent. The visuals were not subtle in that regard.

One can nit pick this or that aspect, but the overall experience was great. This is a concert really worth seeing.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

from last night

Roger Waters, Sprint Arena, Kansas City, May 26, 2017 Set List

1. “Breathe”
    2. “One of These Days”
    3. “Time”
    4. “Breathe (Reprise)”
    5. “The Great Gig in the Sky”
    6. “Welcome to the Machine”
    7. “When We Were Young”
    8. “Déjà Vu”
    9. “The Last Refugee”
    10. “Picture That”
    11. “Wish You Were Here”
    12. “The Happiest Days of Our Lives”
    13. “Another Brick in the Wall Part 2″
    14. “Another Brick in the Wall Part 3″
    15. “Dogs”
    16. “Pigs (Three Different Ones)”
    17. “Money”
    18. “Us and Them”
    19. “Smell the Roses”
    20. “Brain Damage”
    21. “Eclipse”
    22. “Vera”
    23. “Bring the Boys Back Home”
    24. “Comfortably Numb”

Read More: Roger Waters Kicks Off 2017 'Us + Them' Tour: Video, Set List | Roger Waters Kicks Off 2017 'Us + Them' Tour: Video, Set List

20. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

always love for a flying pig.

Grant and Hot Ptah like this.
  21. Terry

Terry Senior Member

The time for sublety has long since past. I applaud Roger's strong point of view.

Grant, anth67, kanakaris and 8 others like this.
  22. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

:tsk::shh:
    You mean his view on music, don't ya.

thestereofan likes this.
  23. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Let's just say he and I are in sync, although his bank account is a tad larger than mine.

Grant, anth67, mando_dan and 3 others like this.
  24. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Saw the show in Louisville last night. First off, great concert-and as a bonus, I got Waters' pig mask when he threw it out to the audience! Three people tried to buy it on the spot, but not for sale. Having said that, the political stuff was over-the-top, and I tread lightly here, don't want the thread closed- no matter what the point of view, too much of it shoved in your face gets old. Waters has always been political, and pretty anti-conservative, and that's part of his music, so you expect that. I prefer the music to express the points and not so much dramatic and manufactured visuals. Again, doesn't matter if the viewpoint is consistent with mine or not. Not the point.

As for the show, it rocked. His voice was good-he's in his 70s, so that's there, but it was good. The band was great, all of them, and the two female backing vocalists nailed the tune from DSOTM (Is it Great Gig in the Sky? Total brain dump after getting in at 3 am from last night's show.)- in a way, better than the original. Two bass players at times, but it worked. I've seen a couple of snippy comments about that, but I am not convinced it is because Waters can't play anymore. The Allman Brothers had two drummers back in their prime, IIRC, and I don't remember anybody b!thc!ng about that.

Set-list was off the hook-I think 4 tunes from his new album, rest for Pink Floyd prime-one from Meddle (One of These Days!), two from Animals, and bunch from the other "Big 4" PF albums, I think. Played live, I realized Animals is maybe the most "prog rock" of the catalogue.

All in all, awesome show from one of the primary members (debates will go on recurring the "real genius" behind PF, I guess) of one of the truly iconic artists of contemporary music.

mgb70, Rekkerds, Elliottmarx and 4 others like this.
  25. It seems like he's singing his new solo songs live. At least his vocal deliveries on Déjà Vu are sounding differently from show to show. In case of Smell The Roses it's pretty clear. I can't imagine a prerecorded vocal that goes like There's nothing but dreams in the field of dreams.

Hot Ptah likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.