Roger Waters 'Us + Them' Tour 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

How about a pic of the mask?

2. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

I've downloaded my picture from my iPhone to my tablet/laptop-how do I post it to this thread?

3. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Go to this page: Imgur (or this one: TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting ) and upload, get a link that ends in .jpg. They're pretty self explanatory. Then you input the url into the "insert image" box that comes up when you click on image in the tools bar for your post (next to the smilies button). Test with a preview (more options, next to post reply) to make sure your image url is correct.

4. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

same lip sync fail that was posted but a better look at it.

@ :40

5. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

:sigh: Yikes.*

[*I say this as a longtime fan of all four classic-era Pink Floyd members with tickets to see Waters this summer.]

6. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

I'm a little surprised at the Roger-bashing in this thread, though I don't know why I am. Still, I don't think branding himself "The Creative Genius Behind Pink Floyd" for purposes of concert promotion (I mean, really. How many venues can you fill with people who know the name beyond the Pink Floyd context? None.) is any more arrogant or presumptuous than the other members going back on tour as Pink Floyd in '88 and, let's face it, drawing crowds largely on the tunes that Roger created or helped to create. I love Roger's solo work and have been wanting to see one of his shows for a long time now, but I kept saying "I'll catch him on the next tour" because that was easier than rearranging prior commitments. If I learned anything from 2016, it's that I can't say that anymore. I'll be at the show in Greensboro and in Washington D.C. Looking forward to great shows, politics and all.

7. LC4O

LC4O Forum Resident

which song of PF is sung by which person.:

just these exemples:

THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON (1973)
    1. Speak to Me - NONE (Instrumental)
    2. Breathe (In the Air) - Dave Gilmour
    3. On The Run - NONE (Instrumental)
    4. Time - Dave Gilmour & Rick Wright
    4b. Breathe Reprise - Dave Gilmour
    5. The Great Gig in the Sky - Clare Torry
    6. Money - Dave Gilmour
    7. Us and Them - Roger Waters, Dave Gilmour & Rick Wright
    8. Any Colour You Like - NONE (Instrumental)
    9. Brain Damage - Roger Waters
    10. Eclipse - Roger Waters

WISH YOU WERE HERE (1975)
    1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Pts. 1-5) - Roger Waters
    2. Welcome to the Machine - Roger Waters & Dave Gilmour
    3. Have a Cigar - Roy Harper
    4. Wish You Were Here - Dave Gilmour
    5. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Pts. 6-9) - Roger Waters

ANIMALS (1977)
    1. Pigs on the Wing (Pt. 1) - Roger Waters
    2. Dogs - Dave Gilmour & Roger Waters
    3. Pigs (Three Different Ones) - Roger Waters
    4. Sheep - Roger Waters
    5. Pigs on the Wing (Pt. 2) - Roger Waters

THE WALL (1979)
    1. In The Flesh? - Roger Waters
    2. The Thin Ice - Dave Gilmour & Roger Waters
    3. Another Brick in the Wall (Pt. 1) - Roger Waters
    4. The Happiest Days of Our Lives - Roger Waters
    5. Another Brick in the Wall (Pt. 2) - Roger Waters, Dave Gilmour, & kids from Islington Green School, London
    6. Mother - Roger Waters & Dave Gilmour
    7. Goodbye Blue Sky - Dave Gilmour & Roger Waters
    8. Empty Spaces - Roger Waters
    9. Young Lust - Dave Gilmour
    10. One of My Turns - Roger Waters
    11. Don't Leave Me Now - Roger Waters
    12. Another Brick in the Wall (Pt. 3) - Roger Waters
    13. Goodbye Cruel World - Roger Waters
    14. Hey You - Dave Gilmour & Roger Waters
    15. Is There Anybody Out There? - Roger Waters
    16. Nobody Home - Roger Waters
    17. Vera - Roger Waters
    18. Bring the Boys Back Home - Roger Waters
    19. Comfortably Numb - Roger Waters & Dave Gilmour
    20. The Show Must Go On - Dave Gilmour
    21. In The Flesh - Roger Waters
    22. Run Like Hell - Roger Waters & Dave Gilmour
    23. Waiting For The Worms - Dave Gilmour & Roger Waters
    24. Stop - Roger Waters
    25. The Trial - Roger Waters
    26. Outside the Wall - Roger Waters

THE FINAL CUT (1983)
    1. The Post-War Dream - Roger Waters
    2. Your Possible Pasts - Roger Waters
    3. One of the Few - Roger Waters
    4. The Hero's Return - Roger Waters
    5. The Gunner's Dream - Roger Waters
    6. Paranoid Eyes - Roger Waters
    7. Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert - Roger Waters
    8. The Fletcher Memorial Home - Roger Waters
    9. Southampton Dock - Roger Waters
    10. The Final Cut - Roger Waters
    11. Not Now John - Dave Gilmour & Roger Waters
    12. Two Suns in the Sunset - Roger Waters

Zeki, mando_dan and marc with a c like this.
  8. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Continuing on after a band member quits, recording and touring new music is in no way "arrogant." Branding yourself as a creative genius is. And how about Roger playing tunes that the others created or helped to create? I find the irony amusing.

9. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Nope, nope, and nope.

Roger's words (and music for two of these three) but no vocals of his.

mastaflatch, PDK and rontoon like this.
  10. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

It was a good show, I think. Now everyone has me second guessing.

FredCamp likes this.
  11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  12. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Don't second guess yourself, it was a good show. I wasn't there, but I have yet to see one that wasn't. In the big picture, the fact that he may use prerecorded vocals on occasion and that he doesn't thoroughly mine his solo material seem like pretty minor quibbles. Sometimes one just has to enjoy a production like his for what it is as opposed to what it isn't. Certainly, some alternate approaches would be thrilling for some longtime fans, but again, it is what it is. I'll see the show a couple times in a few weeks and I have no doubt they'll be up to snuff.

ammoj2, davers and FredCamp like this.
  13. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

[​IMG]

audiotom, tedhead, blackstar and 5 others like this.
  14. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Ah, very cool! Thanks.

15. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

Agreed. No second guessing necessary.

16. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

In a way, with his only performing four songs (from his new album) that aren't PF, in a way it is a PF cover band, I guess. BUT, it is one HELL of a cover band, and the visuals are impressive.

17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

They come off as a Pink Floyd cover band whenever they perform Pink Floyd songs regardless of the amount of new material played. I guess the same could be said about Gilmour's band even though they've always sounded truer to the original source material, IMO.

18. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

The Kansas City show that I went to was a great show. Two days later, I talked to several people who had also gone to it. We all agreed that it exceeded our expectations musically and that it was a memorable, compelling, excellent concert.

I marvel at the ability of some members of this forum to suck all of the air out of a room with soul crushing ideas.

Actually, I could understand some of the negative comments here if the member posting them has seen Pink Floyd and Roger Waters dozens of times, has witnessed their many performances featuring varied setlists over the yeas, and is basically now so jaded and bored with live Pink Floyd and Roger Waters, that only something new and shockingly amazing will seem even barely adequate.

If you have had that wonderful life, I envy you. I have not had so many opportunities to see them live.

audiotom, jonj, Cassius and 4 others like this.
  19. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Never seen ANY of them before-really only started going to shows last January. I enjoyed the show IMMENSELY-very well done, very entertaining, despite the heavy-handed preaching moments (and this really should not have surprised me, I guess). As close as I will ever come to seeing PF in this world, and I am extremely happy to have gone. I find nothing wrong with one of the two major architects of this amazing group putting together a superb band, dazzling visuals, and giving an awesome performance, even if a twinge of "cover band" flavor seeps in. I got the music I wanted.

ammoj2, Zeki, pablorkcz and 1 other person like this.
  20. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

I am missing how that is ironic?

21. Hot Ptah

I agree with you. As for the cover band aspects, I thought that there was enough distinct personality coming through from this different group of musicians, that it did not sound like a Pink Floyd cover band per se.

I must confess that I did not mind the heavy handed politics at all. It was presented in a compelling way with powerful visuals, and was entertaining. It appeared that the vast majority of the 18,000 or so people in Kansas City also enjoyed the political section immensely. I witnessed no negative reactions to the political section. Well, one man behind us said, "booo, booo" in a soft voice for about five to ten seconds.

jonj and Zeki like this.
  22. Hot Ptah

Of course we do not know if it was Roger branding himself as a creative genius, or just a marketing department slogan. These days, it seems like everything has to be the greatest, the biggest, the best, genius, incredible, etc. to even begin to break through to the public consciousness at all. I have seen enough huge billboards next to our downtown arena proclaiming that some young rapper, or pop singer with one dance pop hit, is on their "Incredible Tour" or will be "Amazing" in concert. If Roger is given the same 2017 garden variety superlative marketing poster, and it helps sell some tickets, I am not offended.

I think that many members of the public, who might buy tickets, do not know who Roger Waters is. To have a marketing campaign calling him "One of the Guys in Pink Floyd, which used to be a big group many years ago, he sang sometimes and played the bass" is not going to fill arenas.

jonj, Cassius, ammoj2 and 4 others like this.
  23. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

And when has marketing not been full of hyperbole? I doubt the branding was Roger's call.

I got my tickets for DC when they went on sale in October and recently picked up a single seat for Greensboro. I am completely psyched for these shows.

Zeki likes this.
  24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

It's been Roger approved branding for 17-18 years. Gilmour uses the Voice/Guitar billing since 2006 or a bit longer so I call that one as even.

pablorkcz, Billy Infinity and rontoon like this.
  25. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I've seen Pink Floyd live 14 times including twice in 1977 and The Wall in 1980, Roger Waters twice for Pros and Cons, twice for KAOS, twice on the In The Flesh tour in '99 and 4 times in 2000, the Timothy White tribute show in 2002, 3 times on the DSOTM tour, and 4 times for the last Wall tour. Doesn't mean I've had a wonderful life and I'm neither jaded nor bored with Pink Floyd or Roger Waters. I'm disappointed with his current set list, his continued overuse of vocal assistance, and the ambiguous theme of the tour. With so few new songs being performed and nothing from previous solo efforts he's basically cashing in as a nostalgia act.

Whether it was Roger's idea or call to brand himself as a "creative genius" is irrelevant because ultimately he approved this marketing decision. He even brought it up in a recent interview.

Billy Infinity likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.