Roger Waters 'Us + Them' Tour 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

A beautiful, wet-plate photograph by the brilliant Giles Clement, taken @ Newport Folk Festival over the weekend.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    Scope J, raphph, DLant and 4 others like this.
  2. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    NunoBento likes this.
  3. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Okay, I can't see the attachment on the computer I'm on, but surely Roger Waters did not join John Prine?
    That would be like Rick Wakeman joining Barbara Mandrell? Then again, I once saw Martin Chambers drumming for John McEnroe ~ I kid you not :D

4. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

I went to both, and they were each awesome.

BritFLoyd setlist included songs from Division Bell and Not Now John from the Final Cut- the type of setlist that no iteration of Pink Floyd (or solo) has ever performed. Cool show and the audience was jacked. You'll have plenty of chances to see them again I imagine. There's another band that comes round central Ohio called Wish You Were and they are good as well.

Waters was fantastic and we may not see him again. Third time for me. Wish I had seen Gilmour.

5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

A quick Google search would have given you the answer. Roger is a huge John Prine fan and has covered him in the past at the same festival. Not that much of a stretch really.

Watch Roger Waters, John Prine Unite at Newport Folk Festival

There are videos on YouTube as well.

Looks like he brought the girls along with him.

anth67 and Billy Infinity like this.
  6. anth67

That's awesome.

rontoon likes this.
  7. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

That's a terrible analogy, in my opinion, and belittles Prine's contributions to music.

Maybe a little more close would be like Bruce Springsteen joining up with Bob Dylan.

8. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

How dare you insult Barbara Mandrell?

9. anth67

My point was how disparate the musical realms are ~ and, thus, how unexpected the combo. In fact, your suggestion isn't disparate at all, Springsteen's wordsmithing was compared to Dylan's from the beginning and Dylan once accused Nebraska of being an artistic ripoff of himself. I don't think anybody would be terribly surprised to see Bruce & Bob sharing a stage.

10. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Likewise, Waters' strength is lyric writing, and that is equally true of John Prine. They are very much peas of a pod.

Wakeman and Mandrell are definitely disparate. Waters and Prine, not. In my opinion.

JoeRockhead and rontoon like this.
  11. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I realize we're now off on a tangent, but here's a 2008 quote from Roger Waters:

"I don't really listen to Radiohead. I listened to the albums and they just didn't move me in the way, say, John Prine does. His is just extraordinarily eloquent music—and he lives on that plane with Neil Young and Lennon."

I happen to agree that Prine is on that level. I'm also happy he's still with us, after neck cancer (which has changed his look, no doubt) and lung cancer.

12. anth67

"Lyric writing" is pretty darn general. Thematically, there's social consciousness in the lyrics of both men, neither a stranger to illuminating the darker sides of institutions. Stylistically hardly at all, unless if maybe Roger would revisit one of his old pastorals, like "Green Is the Colour," for a change.... Maybe I could almost hear Prine covering "Pigs On the Wing" (almost, but not quite ; )

But really my initial delight at the pairing is indeed that they themselves obviously connect somewhere. I'm always happy to see that kind of appreciation reciprocating across genres between really cool artists.

rontoon likes this.
  13. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Should be a good show tonight, in Auburn Hills, Michigan...

Rekkerds likes this.
  14. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

There's one of those of Charles Bradley too. Awesome stuff!

segue likes this.
  15. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

16. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Last night in Michigan was truly amazing and satisfying. I will have pictures to follow...

Forty years after seeing the Animals tour...

Realizing I have no real understanding what so divided Gilmore and Waters, and as cool as either of their separate shows can be, I offer this, in their own words, to Sid (originally) of course ...

How I wish, how I wish you were here
    We're just two lost souls
    Swimming in a fish bowl
    Year after year
    Running over the same old ground
    And how we found
    The same old fears
    Wish you were here

Simply amazing to be a rock fan. Happy PF listening!

Tony-A, Rekkerds and Terry like this.
  17. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Rekkerds likes this.
  18. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

19. Jwag1

Jwag1 Forum Resident

Going to see him in DC tomorrow. So excited!

azjvm05 and VinylRob like this.
  20. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

[​IMG]

segue likes this.
  21. ALB123

ALB123 Forum Resident

My show isn't until September 28th (Boston), but I'm already getting excited. While ticket prices for all concerts are ridiculous these days, especially if you wanna get those up close floor seats, I will say that nobody gives you more bang for your buck than Roger Waters. His shows are insane...and they've only gotten better and better since he went back on the road in 1999. Could you imagine if this type of technology existed in 1968? I can't even begin to think of the madness Pink Floyd would have come up with once they hit their stride.

JoeRockhead and Cassius like this.
  22. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Then perhaps you're not familiar with their ground breaking shows from that period? They were always ahead of their time.

tedhead, Sigma6 and jdw like this.
  23. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

Any news on uk dates?

24. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

25. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Is Jonathan Wilson opening,
    or just playing in the band?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.