Roger Waters 'Us + Them' Tour 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

2. segue

[​IMG]

last night, entire band on one knee after encore, powerful moment...audience goes crazy.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  3. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

Great photos! Are they from a pre-show rehearsal? If so, were you there yourself?

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Yes, great photos! Very political, isn't he? Too bad we can't discuss it.

Hint, hint, hint. :)

5. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

Truly envious of anyone who was at last night's show, or at any future show, for that matter. I saw it twice this summer: first in Greensboro and then in Washington DC. The same show both times, but I didn't care (not an easy confession for a Deadhead). It's a joy to hear all those songs again.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  6. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

All political posts will lead to thread bans. Just sayin'.

hodgo and cwd like this.
  7. segue

[​IMG]
    Holly's DSOTM T

mastaflatch, Hattipper and rontoon like this.
  8. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Was Roger able to rise from one knee unassisted? if so not bad for someone in their 70's :)

Sigma6 likes this.
  9. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

The two women in that photo can flat out sing!

Hattipper and mastaflatch like this.
  10. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident

They are pretty amazing! Just saw Roger in Pittsburgh, and his whole band was great!

Hot Ptah likes this.
  11. segue

12. Two shows in Amsterdam have been announced, I'm going to try to get tickets for one of them.

13. Smxx777

Smxx777 Forum Resident

Hell yeah, he's coming to my birthplace - Moscow)) And really surprised that it will have standing front of the stage golden circle for 100 euros - not those insane sitting places for 400 $)))

coffeetime likes this.
  14. markmorb

markmorb Forum Resident

Still no UK dates??

15. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

Saw the last show in the US last night. (Boston Garden) What a show. I thought the band was superb, great setlist, very much an angry/searing/guitar heavy set, which was fantastic. The whole sets/show was great too. It honestly reminded me of the bootleg "Plays the Animals".

I feel very fortunate to have seen Gilmour last year in NY, and Roger this year.

And if I'm comparing the GGitS versions between David/Roger shows, there is absolutely no comparison. Roger's version won hand's down. The two ladies just crushed it. Might have been the highlight of the show for me.

Hot Ptah, Bill Mac, Paulo Alm and 4 others like this.
  16. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

coffeetime likes this.
  17. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

just saw the Toronto show last night, FANTASTIC!

to be honest I am a bit sick of "comfortably numb" but the crowd erupted and it was really good.

Dave Kilminster was killing it all night, on gtr, as usual. The younger "hippie" dude was really good on tr too, and his vocals matched very well. He sang all the DG parts

"great gig in the sky" was absolutely stupendous, I really like how those 2 girls did the vocals. They are amazing,...and really great stage presence with their drumming too

compared to the Gilmour Pompeii movie " gig in the sky", I thought Water's was much better. the Pompeii version grated on my ears: it was all harsh screaming and not nearly as dynamic, emotional, moving.

the songs from "Animals" were highlights for me; the impact of them being played live was impressive. No wonder the audience went nuts at Montreal '77 :D

And his new songs blended in very well musically. although "picture that" dragged on a bit though IMO

at least they embellished the instrumental parts, which I thought were lacking on the album

highly recommended. it was loud though. I should have brought earplugs

ps keyboard solo during "dogs" was well done, but I thought RW walking around detracted from it and nobody cheered the poor guy! I would have let him shine for a bit, without any stage distractions. it's a nice moody part of the song

Hot Ptah, coffeetime and Paulo Alm like this.
  18. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

WHYYYYY must the London date be at the Hyde Park festival? :(

Massive field, shortened festival set, no opportunity to get near the front of the standing area unless you pay through the nose. Urgh.

coffeetime likes this.
  19. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Saw the Toronto show last night. After seeing The Wall three times, we "settled" on 300 level but, in many ways, the show was better from that height. The Animals section was indeed the highlight and very cathartic, my friend was completely flabbergasted with the visuals in the second half.

Even though I wish he'd sing live more (the times he did was just fine - about 30%), this show will touch you in a very deep way. He's a master at that.

Hot Ptah, Bolero and Hattipper like this.
  20. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I too was at the show here last night.
    I loved it.
    I take issue with the "vocal" comments though. I was in one of the best seats in the house and the only vocal enhancement I noticed was in part of "Pigs" (those notes are a bit hard for him to hit I suppose) However, most of Roger's vocals were 'live'; I could tell.

I loved the segment with the 3 new songs as well as "Smell The Roses" in the 2nd set. I'm really liking the new album and those songs blended in well within the sets overall ("Picture That" was excellent!)

Sound and visuals were stunning; the band was terrific (loved the 2 gals on vocals!) and the "Animals" material that opened the 2nd set was jaw droppingly great.

We all had heavy hearts down there worrying about Tom Petty, but Roger took us away for 2 hours and 40 minutes.

I thought the opening, intermission and ending videos of the mother on the beach were lovely and moving.

A great time was had by all.

He's playing again tonight and on Friday the 13th; don't hesitate as it's a fantastic show overall.

10/10

Hot Ptah, coffeetime, smoke and 5 others like this.
  21. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Indeed, Roger sings every song live. But there's also a prerecorded vocal track that he sings to that's more dominant in the mix for quite a few songs. Not all of them, but most. And all of the new songs are completely live.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  22. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Sure it's not a pure lipsync per se but, this has been documenented over ever tour for the past ten years. I don't want to direct anyone to videos of perfectly matched performances from different nights, but they exist. It's just a fact of life at his shows. You can tell when he's not completely live because the precision of pitch goes up dramatically. However, the songs he did do live (Wish You Were Here, Mother, the new ones) were sung well.

23. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Indeed, and I like when he sings live without assistance. He's been using a vocal track since 1984 and I'm not complaining about it, Ive accepted it. He has a very unique voice, not a great singer but he's one of a kind. My favorite performances are his one-off shows like the Newport Festival or when he performs with wounded warriors. I'd rather see that than his smoke and mirrors shows.

24. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

I'm taking a trip to Toronto to see this show next week; I'm going crazy with anticipation....I'm a huge Pink Floyd/Waters fan and reading these reviews is making me absolutely nuts....!!!!

Paulo Alm and fourfeathers like this.
  25. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

Me too, and agreed! I am too young to have seen Pink Floyd, but it was great to be able to finally see these both guys after listening for many years. Both put on great, but different shows.

Bolero likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.