Roger Waters 'Us + Them' Tour 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Is he only playing the Hyde Park gig in England??

2. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

No. Liverpool (Echo), Manchester (Arena), Glasgow (SSE Hydro) & Birmingham (Barclaycard Arena). Hyde Park is the only outdoor date though.

3. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Too bad the only concert in London is on the 6th. I will be in London on the 10th:realmad:

Terry likes this.
  4. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

The Us and Them tour has finally reached Europe.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the show in Antwerp next month.

Is anyone else doing any of the other European shows?

5. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

No, but I am going to the Liverpool show when the tour comes to the UK.

coffeetime and PDK like this.
  6. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

We are doing the Hamburg show.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  7. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

I was wearing my pre-Brexit hat thinking of UK as part of Europe ;-)

smilin ed likes this.
  8. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

I was planning to go , but too expensive ...:(

9. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi Forum Resident

I am going to Vienna, looking forward to it.

10. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Liverpool as well here. Looking forward on it and have high hopes (sic) after seeing Roger's The Way show twice.

11. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Flying from the UK to Budapest to see a show on the 2nd May. Going to the Hyde Park and Birmingham shows in July. Depending on my feelings after Budapest I may see a couple more as well.

12. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

13. Audio72

Audio72 Senior Member

and working on Animals 5.1 :pineapple:

14. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Audio72 and Hattipper like this.
  15. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Yeah, I'm passing on more and more super-ticket shows as of this year ~ it's gotten completely unrealistic for fans. But I'll attest (saw Roger last summer), if you're going to shell out for one, you'll get your money's worth from RW. Just as the Floyds have always done, he's cared enough to invest the appropriate portion of his riches back into sound quality, as well as the visual effects. The best sound I've ever heard for a big concert ~ in a hall not known for that, in my case ~ complete with some classic surround effects :)

Not to mention: Dogs & Pigs.

But I'd never entice you to spend $ you don't have. Just saying, he's worth it to the extent that any artist is worth it.

16. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

I saw him with The Wall , indeed excellent show with amazing sound.

17. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Ah, so you already know ; ) I regret not catching The Wall on either leg (two chances) ~ but that ensured I wouldn't miss this tour, so I guess it worked out.

kanakaris likes this.
  18. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Caught the show for the first time in Budapest last night. I won't go into a long and detailed review. Suffice to say I thought it was superb.

The band was great, definitely the best all round band I have seen Roger perform with. They all seemed to really gel and pull of the songs with aplomb. It felt like the real deal. Jonathan Wilson handles Dave's vocal parts superbly, the Lucius girls are fantastic, Waronker is fab behind the kit. Big thumbs up.

Great mixture of songs and the new stuff went down really well and drew cheers as opposed to being the 'beer run' tunes. Picture That, STR and Deja Vu were fantastic and great to hear. Last Refugee was probably the low point of the show for me but still very good. I would have preferred Broken Bones myself, but hey ho. Was hoping for Wait for Her as well as Roger has played it a few times of late but no joy on this occasion. Roger commented that he was heartened to see people singing along to the new tunes and they fitted into the set just fine as opposed to feeling out of place or 'this is my new stuff' kinda vibe.

Of the old classics, obviously Dogs and Pigs were highlights. Pigs in particular is an assault on the senses with the graphics, the flying pig and the amazing, rocking version of the song that the band play. A big surprise to me was One of These Days, a tune which David does so well but fair play to Roger - his version is stunning. It was very very loud, I loved the additional drums on the intro which made it really powerful and the 'thumping' parts just before the Cut You into Little Pieces voice was unbelievably loud. I just watched a video of the show online and those parts have not actually come out that well- I don't know if camera phones can actually pick up such insane sub bass. Infact, the whole show was very loud indeed and the frequent sound effects were pretty brutal. I could have done without Money to be honest - a solo album cut in place of that would be far preferable like Broken Bones or something from Amused to Death. Wish You Were Here was very affecting. I lost my Dad recently - he got me into this music when I was a kid and hearing it live for the first time without him here was pretty emotional. I am not ashamed to admit I was moved to tears.

I have always said that The Wall would never be topped and was my all time favourite live show. Did this top it? Tough to say. Musically I think it just about did but visually not quite. The opening salvo of ITF will never be topped IMO, the emotional hard hitting sequence of Vera, BTBBH and CN was never quite there in this show, the crowd participance of RLH also sadly missed from my perspective. The politics are a tad overbearing at times and rather ironic in the overall setting of this very expensive production. Having said that, musically I don't think The Wall scaled the heights that Dogs and Pigs do and it was great to hear four tracks from the new album as opposed to the whole show being old stuff. Whatever, it pays not to dissect the whole thing too much and just go along and have a blast which is exactly what me and the wife did.

They say you should never meet your heros, or at least that is a philosophy I have long adhered to. Walking past the Four Seasons hotel on the day pf the show, it did not escape our notice that a small group of people had gathered with albums and other Floyd related bits. Clearly this appeared to be where Roger was staying and it seemed like he may be putting in an appearance. It seemed to be somewhat mad if we did not hang about to catch a glimpse of the man I have invested so much in, both financially and spiritually. After a while, Roger's bodyguard Pompey appeared and said that Roger would be out in about half an hour and would be happy to sign a few items as long as people behaved themselves. Sadly all I had on me was my Tshirt which Pompey said Roger would not sign it. I quickly ran around Budapest trying to find a record shop to buy a copy of any Roger or Floyd related release but to no avail. In the end I ended up buying a hard backed Budapest post card - better than nothing! I sprinted back to the hotel in 30 degree heat and got back in the small queue. Shortly after the band appeared and got on a white bus with blacked out windows. Ten minutes later, the man himself rounded the corner. I guess it was one of those moments I will always remember - at 40 years old here I am in the presence of the man I have spent a huge section of my life listening to! The big worry, of course, was that he was going to be in a bit of mood or that one of the people in front of me would annoy him and he would get in his car and bugger off. None of it! He was completely gracious, friendly and full of smiles. The guy in front of me had a flag which he refused to sign but he made a joke of it and was cool. Then it was my turn - I just gave him my postcard, stood beside him while he signed it and said 'thank you very much Roger.' He smiled for a photo that my wife took and that was that. My wife then went up to him and said 'I know you will probably say no but the Tshirt is all I have!' He laughed and sad 'nope, nice try babe.' After that he signed a few more autographs, pointed at the guy with the flag and said 'YOU!' in his best schoolmaster voice, laughed, said thanks very much guys, got in his car and that was that. I went to the nearest bar in a daze, sank a few beers, and headed back to my hotel with a great memory and a Budapest postcard with Rog's signature on it. Another great Floyd related day for the memory bank.

19. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

I saw the Antwerp show last night.

I found the first half of the show a little underwhelming. The arena had little atmosphere, the sound was not particularly loud and the band were "just" good, but not great with the exception of the closing song, Another Brick in the Wall 3 and 4, which really was a great end to the first set.

Come the second half, it felt like a different band had taken the stage. The music soared, the visuals were spectacular and Dave Kilminster nailed the DG solos.

Zeki and coffeetime like this.
  20. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Just got tickets for Berlin!! :goodie::goodie:

21. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

Very good photos of Roger from a concert on May 2nd in Budapest. It is the page No.9 of this subject and continuation on the page No.10.
    Roger Waters-2018 //Pink-Floyd.ru

Billy_Sunday and xfilian like this.
  22. Phillip Walch

Saw Roger in Hamburg last night and have nothing good or even OK to report.

I thought the entire thing was a mess from start to finish. The choices of musical direction where we would find the Pink Floyd sound was there and then suddenly and sharply be ripped away by notes that did not belong. The added note here, added note there, the girls that so many have waxed lyrical about. Awful! The sax player was poor, I thought Dave Kilminster was OK at best, the guy doing DG's vocals was poorly chosen and sounded bad. I never noticed John Carin until Roger named the band. I knew he was there but there was no sign of him. It was all a wash of sound, nothing stood out as being incredible and I include Roger in that. There was nothing emotional about this show, it was all mechanical and thoughtless.

Poor screen material that had little to no relevance to the music. The drop down power station was kind of cool but once the main part was done it then displayed the same images as the screen behind the band for another 15 minutes and all it served was to obscure view of the stage for many. We could all see the stage fine so move the blasted thing and let us see the stage. It then went up and down with a funky colour scheme that added nothing to the experience.
    The concert felt pre-recorded throughout and at one point the band were toasting a drink in pig masks while the music played on, haplessly displaying the madness at hand. Add in a message about "Pigs ruling the world" and "F'@@K the PIGS" and a drunk crowd will cheer like sheep, kind of ironic that is.

The politics, I know we can't discuss in too much detail here but I will say that the messages displayed added up to a mad mans manifesto.

I get this tour was about RESISTING anything and everything but it is also a concert and that was an afterthought to his odd message of confused thinking and it showed for me.

Of all the Pink Floyd cover bands I have heard from the Ausy Floyd to Think Floyd, Brit Floyd and others long forgotten, I would rather see any of them over what I saw last night.

23. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

That is such an incredibly negative review that I find it hard to believe that your disapproval of his politics does not have something to do with your distaste of the show. Whatever the case, I am sorry you did not enjoy the show. :)

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  24. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

I definitley agree with the comments regarding Roger's band based upon my experience in Antwerp last Friday.

I also did not even notice Jon Carin until Roger introduced the band at the end of the show and I also thought the guy doing the DG vocals just was not strong enough. I don't expect to get a DG-clone, but the material deserves a stronger vocalist.

Phillip Walch likes this.
  25. Phillip Walch

Absolutely, I did not want any cloning or exact music, but I wanted music in the key of Pink Floyd.

craigobau likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.