Rogue Audio RP5 preamplifier release

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KT88, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KT88

KT88 Senior Member Thread Starter

Rogue Audio press release:

"At this years CES we will be showcasing the all new RP-5 Preamplifier. Pure tube, yet extraordinarily high tech, the RP-5 is our first preamp based on the groundbreaking RP-X platform. Utilizing four 12AU7 tubes in a mu-follower configuration, the computer optimized circuitry boasts outstanding sonics as well as industry leading technical specs. The feature rich design includes both a tube based headphone amp and an MM/MC phono with user adjustable gain and loading. The RP-5 also features a VFD display that provides input, volume and L/R balance information. A high quality ten button remote controls volume, balance, on/off, input select, a processor loop, and mute and mono functions. And best of all, in keeping with Rogue Audio’s tradition of providing superb value, the RP-5 offers all of this performance at a modest $3,500 msrp."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Bill

DR.J, c-eling, googlymoogly and 4 others like this.
  2. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

Me want.

ls35a and DR.J like this.
  3. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Does the phono use a tube gain stage?

4. KT88

Hi John,
    No, the phono stage is a refinement of one of their excellent solid state designs. It makes use of very high quality parts such as Dale resistors and quite a few film caps. Making an all tube phono stage that is very quiet is very difficult and out of the price range of an internal option, especially when high gain is one of the requirements. They also have a full function preamp which is all tube. The 99 Super Magnum is pretty much the same price and has an all tube phono section. It uses a total of 8 tubes to achieve that and still does not have the gain or the SNR of the new unit. For those that like an all tube unit, it does sound very good.

They have both solid state and all tube external phono stages. Their external tube phono stage, the Aries manages to deliver very high performance with very low noise. It uses 4 tubes in doing so and a couple of step-up transformers as a boost for low output cartridges in its MC section.
    -Bill

5. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I currently have the Ares Phono Pre coupled with a Cronus Magnum Integrated, Bill's description of the Ares is spot on.

I'm going to move back into seporates one day and the RP-5 will defenately be on the list of possable Preamps, the tubed headphone output might be interesting also.

6. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

So what is your opinion? Does the new preamp beat the 99 Super Magnum? The phono section is irrelevant to me (have a great external phono pre). Just asking about the preamp. I sure love my 99. Rogue makes great products!

Thanks!!

7. KT88

It should be an even more linear linestage than the 99, probably not as soft and fuzzy. No one outside of Rogue Audio knows for sure yet. I spoke with them briefly about it and the indications are that it is an improvement over the Perseus and it is indeed most similar to that model in terms of its design and feature set. It is a more advanced design that has more features. Both the Perseus and the RP-5 use a quad of 12AU7 tubes, of which there are many varieties available, with many being very affordable. The 99 uses a quad of 6SN7, which have about the same electrical properties but are in a larger package. Those don't seem to have as many options readily available and they can be more microphonic due to the larger envelope. The 99 preamp has the unique gain control feature, which I don't think will be a feature of the RP-5. So making an educated guess on the difference after hearing practically all of their products before, I'd say the RP-5 will be cleaner with lower noise, have a better response at the frequency extremes, while maintaining a very pure and dimensional midrange. Those that like a tubier sound, may prefer the 99, but that is speculation. There are typically trade-offs in all components, and both the 99 and the Perseus sound very good, yet different. I wouldn't be too concerned about the RP-5 wiping the floor with the 99 though; the 99 is a classic and is still their most popular model. Heck, I am content with my Metis but have to admit that hearing the Athena makes one very jaded when it comes to finding something that could be called "better".
    -Bill

DR.J likes this.
  8. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

Thanks for the thoughtful response!!! I do like the tubey (soft and fuzzy) sound of the 99 Super Magnum. Listening to "There's a Riot Going On" last night and it sound just lovely. All warm and gooey!! By the way, I know Sly was on the precipus of a break down, and the record is called dark, but I hear life in that record. Greatness!!

9. KT88

They are nice and work well before either tube or solid state amplifiers. Being able to adjust the gain for a more transparent sound or a tubier sound is pretty cool too. IME, the 99 really isn't uber-tubey sounding as compared to some other brands with a more vintage design. It imparts just enough to float a trumpet in the room, but not so much that it makes it sound like a trombone!
    -Bill

DR.J likes this.
  10. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I have a very good $3500 preamp. But if I were in the market I'd pick up one of these in a New York minute.

11. KT88

So, you are saying it'll be more likely a Boise minute then?... ;)
    -Bill

12. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Well, a New York minute is the time it takes from when the light turns green to when the guy behind you starts honking his horn. Not sure about the Boise minute. I suspect it's a minute. :)

13. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Bringing this back to the top in case anyone is interested.

The RP5's have been shipping for a couple of weeks so you should start to see them around.

My demo unit is here and currently working on getting some break in hours on it. Very nice so far!

14. lyniv

lyniv Forum Resident

Would love to hear your impressions after break in.

15. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

I am looking forward to hearing more about this. I am currently using a Tortuga passive preamp with the Rogue Medusa. This combo works really well but I am curious to know what a tube preamp would bring to the table.

The Perseus Magnum, 99, or this new pre would probably work great with the Medusa. My biggest concern would be a potential loss of detail when switching from a passive.

16. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

When I upgrade...

17. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

Cool your using the Tortuga. I've though several times about giving it a try but the company owner refuses to allow an input to be programed for HT Bypass (Unity Input). Seems like a nice passive pre-amp!!!

18. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Had the RP5 running most of the day yesterday. Still needs quite a bit of break-in time, but so far I am really, really impressed.

Detail and soundstage are nice right out of the box. Once break-in is done, I am sure the soundstage will get even larger.

Have not tried the phono stage yet, but will do that at some point (FYI....it does MM and MC).

And lastly, love the new look/styling of the case and also the VFD display. The multi-function remote is also a great addition.

19. KT88

I have played around a bit with the Rogue Audio RP5 and compared it to their Metis Magnum preamplifier. It is in a fair system by audiophile standards, not nearly the best possible match available here but just where it was convenient and where I wanted to set it up and try it out with a few other items as well, so I killed a covey of birds with one shot. I connected the Metis preamp first to the rest of the system which consists of all used equipment for sale in one of the back rooms of my shop. The turntable is a Project debut Carbon with Ortofon 2m Red cartridge, the CD player is a Cambridge Audio DVD99 universal player, then from the preamplifiers into a pair of custom vacuum tube monoblock amps that i built a few weeks ago and haven't had much listening time with, into a pair of Tannoy Sensys 1 speakers. These are the stand mount speakers in the system photo.

The sound of the RP5 compared to the Metis (and most other preamps actually) is best described by one word, transparency. The RP5 is more dynamic, has lower noise, cleaner overall sound, deeper and faster bass, and more extended highs. The stereo imaging is improved over the Metis as is the soundstaging. Both preamps have excellent midrange detail and neutrality but the Metis tends to soften the frequency extremes and loses some resolution by comparison. Keep in mind that both preamps are USA built to a very high standard and offer excellent performance at their price points. The Metis Magnum is actually the preamp that I chose to use in my home and I cannot fault it for its price. The RP5 is simply at another level. both in performance and price. The Metis Magnum is $1500 and the RP5 is $3500.

I used a rather modest table and cartridge into these for this comparison, well it was a rather modest CD source as well but neither are crap, so the resulting sound was very good. The phono section of the RP5 is very nice and seems to support most of the dynamics and bandwidth that the linestage section is capable of. The dynamics and bass response was greater with the CD as a source in this set-up but we must consider the cartridge and table to be in part responsible for that. Even in the best systems, dynamics of the Lp is often less than that of many CD renderings. I say that with all respect given to the Lp as it has been my favorite source for my entire life and I have amassed a rather impressive collection of LPs over the last 35 years. As a bit of irony, I have two Dynavector MC cartridges on two much nicer Rega tables nearby and decided not to hassle with the set-up of those for this short run. The customer who will be collecting this new RP5 preamp does not even own a turntable at this point and has no intentions of getting back into analog playback. The RP5 has a jumper setting inside of the unit which the customer has requested that I set for him to bypass the phono section as he has no use for it. This feature allows an additional line level input to be used in place of the phono input. It would also allow the use of Rogue Audio's all tube, external phono stage, the Ares (or any other phono stage)into the converted line level input.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    -Bill

beowulf, james and Larry Johnson like this.
  20. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I hear there's going to be an RP-3 at $2500.

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  21. KT88

Perhaps, but they have not disclosed any specific details. I suspect that is pretty accurate for their target price as well as an "RP7" at $5000-ish.
    -Bill

22. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Bill thank you again for all your insight on these products from Rogue. I absolutely love my Ares and it's a real dream dealing with them as a customer. Amazing folks at Rogue. Other companies in the area should take notice.

23. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Hi Bill:

I am going to arrange a review of this unit..been a fan of Rogue preamps forever.

KT88 and GoldprintAudio like this.
  24. KT88

Nice. It has a lot of new features that differentiate it from their other designs so far. Still the same nice build, basic features, and sound quality but with enhancements across the board for flexibility and playback.
    -Bill

25. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Yes, clearly a first..display...smaller footprint...very elegant.

The tube preamp is still the most difficult component to get right and provide popular conveniences.

Just spoke to Mark and they are working around the clock to get these out the door, so I am in the cue!

GoldprintAudio likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.