Rogue Audio Sphinx hybrid integrated amplifiers are now shipping!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KT88, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KT88

KT88 Senior Member Thread Starter

No, it will be a very good amp to use with them. Those are not really any easier to drive than the MMG's.
    -Bill

2. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

thanks guys.

All American system has a nice ring to it.

3. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

For those concerned by this issue, I have a Super Magnum 99 and installed the new remote volume control chip. On the 99 is was a bit of a pain (located right under the volume control) but I got it done and it works just fine. Much more controllable then before.

4. moops

moops Senior Member

Good to know, thanks.
    What does fitting it actually entail ?

5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member Thread Starter

It does really slow down the volume ramping. So it improves the range of control but it also takes longer to get to a listening level from all the way down and then back. For just tweaking the listening level once it is up, it is a nice improvement.

It is just a programmed 18 leg chip that plugs into a socket on the board. The original can be a bit challenging to remove as they can be tight and there is very little space to pry them up. Once up and out, you need to ensure that all of the pins on the new chip will align properly with all of the socket clasps. You don't want to bend any going in. Also you need to make note of the orientation of the original as the replacement needs to fit in that same direction. The chips and sockets look rather like this:
    [​IMG]
    -Bill

6. moops

moops Senior Member

Thanks Bill,
    I planned on ordering one soon, but was a little unsure as to how much tech was involved.
    Sounds like I may be able to handle it, but maybe best to attempt it before I have a couple of beers. :)

7. Ekimg

Ekimg New Member

I posted this a month or so ago...but never heard from anyone on their thoughts. I was able to bring home a Sphinx to listen to with my MA RX6s. When a friend at work heard I was going to listen to that, he loaned me his Jolida 302 tubed integrated to compare. Boy...am I glad he did that. I was very "unimpressed" with the Sphinx, at least with my speakers. It was harsh and seemed to reach a distortion level very easily? I play mostly vinyl, and I was also very unimpressed with the onboard phono stage. I had to turn it up way past 1 o'clock to get volume? I liked my Yamaha AV amp better. Then I hooked up the Jolida and I was blown away with what the tubes did for the MAs. I had to laugh when I heard those speakers sound like they hadn't sounded before. Any thoughts on other tubed integrated recommendations for the MA RX6s would be most appreciated. I think my store is going to loan me a cronus magnum to audition, but I of course like the price of the Jolida better.

8. duvallite

duvallite Well-Known Member

Just joined here, and am glad to see lots of interest in the Sphinx. I'm just getting back into 2-channel and vinyl, and just bought a used Sphinx that I got a great deal on, and now need speakers. What speakers (standmount) work well with the Sphinx for low to moderate listening levels? My budget is $1500 max, and I prefer new, but used is not out of the question. I listen mainly to 60s & 70s soft/pop rock, blues, jazz, and some country, in a 11 x 13 spare bedroom. Have been thinking possibly the Nola Boxer or Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2. So what speakers match up well with the Sphinx that give a full, rich sound?

9. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Hmm, for that money maybe a used pair of Harbeth HP3ESR? I'd also love to hear Sphinx with Audio Note Ks...

10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Tune is mainly Naim, Rega, Music Hall, maybe Peachtree(?) too. Not a big tube place.

What's in Auburn??

11. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

KEF LS50 or Sierra 2.

Either way be sure to get skylanstands.com

12. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Seattle hifi

13. Phono Groove

Phono Groove Forum Resident

I'm interested in this amp, my question is; does it have a lot of reserve power? Other 100wpc amps ive tried with my B&W cm5 speakers were just not enough for these power hungry speakers... I would have to raise the volume almost to the 12 oclock position to get decent sound. Also the speakers would not play at their full potential like I know them to when I used a 150wpc amp...They simy struggle if you dont feed them a good amount of power Does the rogue give good clean power and resolution? would it be a good match for the b&w's?

14. Phono Groove

Phono Groove Forum Resident

"is there anybody out there" ( roger waters voice ) ;)

15. james

james Summon The Queen

16. keihin

keihin Member

The Shinx has now been updated to version 2. Changes include upgrades to both the phono preamp inputs and headphone amp, as well as a mute button on the remote. A signature notch in the faceplate serves as an identifier of the updated units. Price remains the same for now.

Full specs here (PDF):
    http://www.rogueaudio.com/PDFs/Sphinx v2.pdf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.