Roland's favorite CD versions of Jethro Tull albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjstauber, Nov 24, 2007.

1. rjstauber

rjstauber Senior Member Thread Starter

In the tradition of my other threads for Deep Purple and Black Sabbath, I fell like I am about ready to share my personal view on the various CD versions of Jethro Tull albums.

You won't find any recommendations for the latest remastered CD versions in this thread, since I don't like them very much. Most of them are too bright for my taste, and some also have quite heavy noise reduction. Not all of the Jethro Tull remasters are totally bad in my opinion (This Was for example is quite decent), but in all cases I found other CD versions I prefer.

Of course, we all now that preferences are a very subjective issue, so feel free to disagree with my assessment.

1. This Was
    My favorite version is the German Chrysalis CD with catalog number 252 656-222 (Sonopress). I also heard the UK Chrysalis (CDP 32 1041 2) as well as the Japan for UK Chrysalis (CCD 1041), but I find the German Chrysalis significantly better. I never heard the original US Chrysalis, but from what other people have reported, it is apparently also nothing to write home about.

2. Stand Up
    I like the MFSL Ultradisc version best, but the original US Chrysalis is also very nice in my opinion and a good alternative. The tracks from side 1 of the original vinyl sound a little veiled on the US Chrysalis, but the tracks from side 2 of the original vinyl sounds pretty much as good on the US Chrysalis as on the MFSL (almost anyway). I didn't care for the German Chrysalis or the UK Chrysalis.

3. Benefit
    My favorite version is the US Chrysalis (which has the track Teacher on it). The tracks Teacher does not sound so great on the US Chrysalis, but the other tracks are the best sounding versions I have heard so far. The UK Chrysalis sounds really weird in comparison, running significantly slower and sounding way off. The remaster is heavily no-noised in some areas.

4. Aqualung
    O.k., we have a great sounding DCC version mastered by our dear host Steve. Of course it sounds very nice, and it was the very first time this actual master tapes were used. What could you want more? Well, I personally think the Japan for Europe Chrysalis CD with catalog number 610 016-217 sounds more laid back and natural, and this version is actually my preferred version right now. O.k., I said it, now I need to go hiding... :hide:

Careful, there is also a Sonopress version with the same catalog number 610 016-217, which also sounds nice but has a different mastering from the Japan for Europe Chrysalis CD. The latter has MANUFACTURED BY SANYO JAPAN in the matrix code, and that's the one you want to look for. It is hard to find in my experience.

5. Living In The Past
    I really like the MFSL version of this one. It also has all the tracks from the UK and US versions, which is nice. The MFSL sounds very nice to me and I find it sounds very similar to the tracks of this album which were mastered by Steve for Aqualung and Original Masters. I haven't done any detailed comparisons with the early UK and US Chrysalis CD's, and I know there are at least two different UK Chrysalis versions out there, since this CD has been secretly remastered in the late 80's. I heard some good things about the US Chrysalis, so I might buy it used if I can find, just to do a comparison.

6. Thick As A Brick
    The MFSL Ultradisc is my preferred version. Period.

7. A Passion Play
    Again, the MFSL is the best in my opinion. I also have the UK Chrysalis (CCD 1040 - a little on the bright side) and the German Chrysalis (252 655-217 - a little on the muddy side), and the MFSL is just right.

8. War Child
    I have never heard the MFSL so far. People say good things about it. I have the UK Chrysalis (CCD 1067) and the US Chrysalis (F2 21067, same mastering as the VK 41067). Both sound very good to me, and when I compare these with the two tracks on the DCC of Original Masters, the original Chrysalis CD's hold up really well. The US Chrysalis and UK Chrysalis are not the same mastering, although they sound quite similar. I slightly prefer the US Chrysalis over the UK Chrysalis.
    I will have to listen to the MFSL to see whether I like it better or not. If someone would be so kind to post a sample of the MFSL, that would be great.

9. Minstrel In The Gallery
    This album is a tough one to choose the favorite CD version. People praise the Japan for UK Chrysalis (CCD 1082), but it was stated in another thread that this version is the same as the UK Chrysalis (CDP 32 1082 2), but without the pre-emphasis flag set. I have to say that I find the UK Chrysalis with de-emphasis applied already on the bright side, and the same mastering without de-emphasis applied is just way too bright for me.
    Some people have noted that the UK Chrysalis (CDP 32 1082 2) sounds almost a little no-noised in some areas. I personally don't think it is, but it does sound a little weird, and maybe it has to do with the messed up pre-emphasis.
    All in all, my preferred version at the moment is the German Chrysalis with catalog number 252 662. It sounds most natural to me.
    Also, there is a difference from song to song between the various versions. I also once compared the US Chrysalis, and I think it sounds quite similar to the German Chrysalis, but I have to compare it again.

10. Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll: Too Young To Die
    I like the German Chrysalis CD (252 663-222) very much, it sounds very warm to me. The UK Chrysalis sounds very cold and sterile to me in comparison. Also, when I compare the title track to Steve's version on Original Masters, the German Chrysalis sounds very nice in comparison.

11. Songs From The Wood
    The MFSL is probably overall the best, it sounds warm and not too bright. As far as the stereo image goes, I prefer the UK or US Chrysalis though (UK and US Chrysalis are identical for this album by the way).

12. Heavy Horses
    I prefer the German Chrysalis (252 666-222) over the UK Chrysalis (CDP 32 1175 2), it sounds fuller without being over the top. Never heard the US Chrysalis of this album.

13. Live - Bursting Out
    The UK Chrysalis 2-CD (CDP 32 1201 2) is the winner here in my opinion, the German Chrysalis (351 275-222) sounds a little bit over the top as far as EQ goes. The US Chrysalis is only a single CD and incomplete. Never heard the US Chrysalis of this album.

14. Stormwatch
    At first I preferred the German Chrysalis CD (252 667-219) for this album, but then Owais (progmog) pointed out in another thread that he found the UK Chrysalis (CDP 32 1238 2) to sound more natural, and after some more careful listening, I have to agree with him. The UK Chrysalis sounds natural and warm, the German Chrysalis is a little hotter sounding. Some might prefer the German Chrysalis, but for me it is now the UK Chrysalis. Never heard the US Chrysalis of this album.

15. "A"
    I only have the German Chrysalis CD (252 838-222) for this album, and I think it sounds nice. I only compared it to the remastered version and much prefer the original version. Never heard the UK or US Chrysalis of this album.

16. Broadsword And The Beast
    I compared the first West Germany pressing of this CD (CCD 1380 - which has pre-emphasis) to the slightly later German Chrysalis CD (610 018-217), and I prefer the latter. The WG Chrysalis just sounded too sterile and clinical to me. Owais (progmog) told me he preferred the WG Chrysalis and he thought the German Chrysalis was beefed up, but to me the German Chrysalis still sounds nice and natural, but has more body and breath compared to the first WG Chrysalis.

I think I will stop here for the moment. This covers the main period, and I think many of the CD's after that album are digitally identical between various international versions anyhow.

Feel free to discuss and share your own opinions and points of view. It's a matter of taste after all.

2. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

Hi Roland -

I've only heard the regular US Chrysalis VK-41082 - the one I bought way, way back when - with DIDX 2079 in the matrix. Is this the US Chrysalis you're referring to?

Cheers!

- John

3. rjstauber

Yes, that's the one I am referring to. I have to listen to this one again. I remember that on Black Satin Dancer, it almost seemed like there was some kind of tape problem on the US Chrysalis, but I am going from memory here.

Chemically altered likes this.
  4. rjstauber

By the way, the catalog numbering system for Jethro Tull CD is quite easy to figure out.

Each CD has a certain four-digit number, let's say this is 1234.

CCD 1234: early (sometimes Japan for) UK versions
    CDP 32 1234 2: UK Chrysalis
    VK 41234: first US CD releases (some of them pressed in Japan)
    F2 21234: second US CD releases (same mastering as VK series, AFAIK)

The four digit part always stays the same for each album.

The catalog numbers for the German Chrysalis CD's are completely different and independant from that.

George P and Front 242 Addict like this.
  5. John Cantrell

Gorts, cancel this man's membership immediately. He clearly has no agenda here.

:winkgrin:

Roland -

I have both Steve's DCC and the original Japanese pressing ~ CP28-1033 (CCD-1044) ~ of Aqualung. What are your thoughts on the latter? Could this be the same as your 610 016-217? I can put up some EAC numbers if you or anyone's interested.

Being the true Hoffmanite I am, I confess that for me the DCC is the holy grail for Aqualung.

Keith V likes this.
  6. rjstauber

Hello John,

sure, go ahead and post some EAC values for the CP28. I am almost 100% certain that it is a different mastering than the MANUFACTURED BY SANYO JAPAN version. I never heard the CP28 nor the CCD 1xxx version so far.

I also like Steve's DCC, of course. It is just that the other version sounds more laid back and I can listen to it at louder volumes than Steve's version. If I really want to play Aqualung loud, I reach for that version.

In another thread, I once posted samples of both versions without saying which was which. The opinion which one was better was divided between the ones who listened to the samples and voiced their opinions.

7. John Cantrell

This is what EAC says about the aforementioned Japanese Greenline CP28-1033. Like you mentioned, Roland, it wouldn't be entirely surprising if these values were unique. Does anyone know how many different masterings there are of Aqualung?

Track 1
    Filename Track01.wav

Peak level 97.5 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC B38C2D6A
    Copy OK

Track 2
    Filename Track02.wav

Peak level 79.2 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 4D9F67E9
    Copy OK

Track 3
    Filename Track03.wav

Peak level 81.6 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 31892FC1
    Copy OK

Track 4
    Filename Track04.wav

Peak level 100.0 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 02EFF517
    Copy OK

Track 5
    Filename Track05.wav

Peak level 71.2 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 09D1A69D
    Copy OK

Track 6
    Filename Track06.wav

Peak level 83.2 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC BF182BD1
    Copy OK

Track 7
    Filename Track07.wav

Peak level 89.5 %
    Track quality 99.9 %
    Test CRC 443D2681
    Copy OK

Track 8
    Filename Track08.wav

Peak level 80.1 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 0F6A4F48
    Copy OK

Track 9
    Filename Track09.wav

Peak level 81.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 0A0FF164
    Copy OK

Track 10
    Filename Track10.wav

Peak level 100.0 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 29EC64DB
    Copy OK

Track 11
    Filename Track11.wav

Peak level 78.8 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 6ED38C60
    Copy OK

No errors occured

End of status report

8. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Roland,

:ignore: Bright, yes.

I don't necessarily prefer these remasters over other versions, but I like these remasters:

This Was
    Thick As A Brick
    A Passion Play
    WarChild
    Minstrel In The Gallery
    Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young To Die
    Heavy Horses
    (my fave version)
    Stormwatch (my fave version)
    A
    The Broadsword And The Beast
    Ian Anderson: Walk Into Light
    Under Wraps
    Crest Of A Knave
    (original CD/LP other room echo is tamed)
    Rock Island
    Catfish Rising

WarChild MoFi is to die for. :)

Aqualung I have heard Japan for UK - slightly tweaked to the bright side and I've heard the West German for UK, it was a low volume duller transfer. First issue USA & Canada discs sounded awful and they were butchered = missing bits.
    Surprise: I like the CDP32 1044-2 UK blue box disc. :thumbsup: Up To Me
    I have never heard Steve Hoffman's Aqualung, someday that sun may shine for me. :angel:

:shh: "Each to his own way, I'll go mine. Best of luck with what you find.
    But for your own sake remember times we used to know."-Ian Anderson

JohnN

9. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

:realmad: I just lost a rather lengthy reply to this....and I'm currently to angry too re-type it all.

Perhaps later.

10. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Wow, nice work Roland. I've decided to look for the UK vinyl for most of these titles, but I'm glad to see your handy list of preferred CD versions.

Stupid question: who did the Jethro Tull remasters? Unless I'm blind, they aren't credited outside of the Peter Mew remaster of Aqualung. DId Ian Anderson have a hand in them?

11. rjstauber

Sorry to hear that. It happened to me before also, and it is very annoying.

Still, when you get a chance, I would love to hear your take on this.

Best regards.

12. rjstauber

John, would you be so kind to post EAC peak values for this version? I am putting a comparison table together, maybe we can shed some light on the various masterings.

Also, one forum member bought the 610016-222 pressing from me which was actually a SONOPRESS version and not the MANUFACTURED BY SANYO JAPAN version. If that member could come out and also post peak values of that version, that would be great.

Thanks.

13. rjstauber

If anybody has any other versions, like the US versions (or early Japan for US - calling Keith), I would also love to see the EAC values for these.

14. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

This is the EAC from the Sonopress.

Track 1
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung 610 016-222\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(01)Aqualung.wav

Peak level 94.1 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 4A630DC8
    Copy OK

Track 2
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung 610 016-222\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(02)Cross-Eyed Mary.wav

Peak level 86.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC C714EC93
    Copy OK

Track 3
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung 610 016-222\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(03)Cheap Day Return.wav

Peak level 61.8 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 2504D578
    Copy OK

Track 4
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung 610 016-222\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(04)Mother Goose.wav

Peak level 86.6 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC AD7861BF
    Copy OK

Track 5
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung 610 016-222\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(05)Wond'ring Aloud.wav

Peak level 58.6 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 549B5BB6
    Copy OK

Track 6
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung 610 016-222\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(06)Up To Me.wav

Peak level 88.8 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC F3D60A98
    Copy OK

Track 7
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung 610 016-222\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(07)My God.wav

Peak level 100.0 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 6871F389
    Copy OK

Track 8
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung 610 016-222\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(08)Hymn 43.wav

Peak level 83.4 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC FD3D975C
    Copy OK

Track 9
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung 610 016-222\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(09)Slipstream.wav

Peak level 60.1 %
    Track quality 99.7 %
    Copy CRC 9B7E5CCC
    Copy OK

Track 10
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung 610 016-222\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(10)Locomotive Breath.wav

Peak level 90.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 98522DC0
    Copy OK

Track 11
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung 610 016-222\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(11)Wind-Up.wav

Peak level 91.0 %
    Track quality 99.9 %
    Copy CRC 788A5719
    Copy OK

15. rjstauber

O.k., here's what I have so far:

Attached Files:

• AQ.gif
      AQ.gif
      File size:
      40.3 KB
      Views:
  16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Before you do, I'd do a search here. Apparently the OMTs for certain Tull titles were shipped to the US, while a copy remained behind in England. Of the original versions of Aqualung, the US Reprise with the word STEREO at the bottom is said to be the holly grail, though I have yet to find a copy myself.

17. Dr. Merkwürdigli

And this is the WG for UK gray/silver painted CD CCD 1044.

Track 1
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung WG for UK CCD 1044\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(01)Aqualung.wav

Peak level 98.4 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 666777E8
    Copy OK

Track 2
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung WG for UK CCD 1044\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(02)Cross-Eyed Mary.wav

Peak level 45.7 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 629EAB2E
    Copy OK

Track 3
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung WG for UK CCD 1044\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(03)Cheap Day Return.wav

Peak level 38.8 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC E175BC24
    Copy OK

Track 4
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung WG for UK CCD 1044\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(04)Mother Goose.wav

Peak level 33.3 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 30E3E5A1
    Copy OK

Track 5
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung WG for UK CCD 1044\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(05)Wond'ring Aloud.wav

Peak level 32.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 1BA40A7F
    Copy OK

Track 6
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung WG for UK CCD 1044\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(06)Up To Me.wav

Peak level 49.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 36503394
    Copy OK

Track 7
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung WG for UK CCD 1044\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(07)My God.wav

Peak level 48.8 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC BA9C11D6
    Copy OK

Track 8
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung WG for UK CCD 1044\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(08)Hymn 43.wav

Peak level 59.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 22402EBD
    Copy OK

Track 9
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung WG for UK CCD 1044\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(09)Slipstream.wav

Peak level 17.7 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 3646DC93
    Copy OK

Track 10
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung WG for UK CCD 1044\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(10)Locomotive Breath.wav

Peak level 54.9 %
    Track quality 99.9 %
    Copy CRC 37C4EAA6
    Copy OK

Track 11
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung WG for UK CCD 1044\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(11)Wind Up.wav

Peak level 47.2 %
    Track quality 99.9 %
    Copy CRC 3F15A8C2
    Copy OK

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  18. rjstauber

Bjorn, wow that was fast (Sonopress).

I had this one too, and if I am not totally mistaken, it was clearly a different mastering compared to the SANYO JAPAN version, although similar. Could you maybe also post the timings for each track?

19. rjstauber

Wow, is this the quietest CD mastering ever??? Holy macro, these are some really low values. How's the sound?

I assume this one probably has pre-emphasis, correct?

20. rjstauber

Bjorn, is this the very early version which came in a smooth-sided jewel case, and it actually says "Printed in West Germany by TOPAC" on the back?

21. Dr. Merkwürdigli

And this is an early UK CDP 32 1044 2. It does not have a blue box but I guess they are the same.

Track 1
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung CDP 32 1044 2 UK\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(01)Jethro Tull , Aqualung.wav

Peak level 94.1 %
    Track quality 99.9 %
    Copy CRC 5F431B4F
    Copy OK

Track 2
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung CDP 32 1044 2 UK\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(02)Cross-eyed Mary.wav

Peak level 86.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 2C62842A
    Copy OK

Track 3
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung CDP 32 1044 2 UK\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(03)Cheap Day Return.wav

Peak level 61.8 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 0CA505A8
    Copy OK

Track 4
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung CDP 32 1044 2 UK\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(04)Mother Goose.wav

Peak level 86.6 %
    Track quality 99.9 %
    Copy CRC 77EA24A5
    Copy OK

Track 5
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung CDP 32 1044 2 UK\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(05)Wond'ring Aloud.wav

Peak level 58.6 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC A4897C9A
    Copy OK

Track 6
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung CDP 32 1044 2 UK\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(06)Up to Me.wav

Peak level 88.8 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 3476914F
    Copy OK

Track 7
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung CDP 32 1044 2 UK\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(07)My God.wav

Peak level 100.0 %
    Track quality 99.9 %
    Copy CRC DAB61EFF
    Copy OK

Track 8
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung CDP 32 1044 2 UK\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(08)Hymn 43.wav

Peak level 83.4 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 652A3E66
    Copy OK

Track 9
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung CDP 32 1044 2 UK\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(09)Slipstream.wav

Peak level 60.1 %
    Track quality 99.7 %
    Copy CRC DE92BBD2
    Copy OK

Track 10
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung CDP 32 1044 2 UK\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(10)Locomotive Breath.wav

Peak level 90.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 79C5F5BC
    Copy OK

Track 11
    Filename G:\J\Jethro Tull\Aqualung CDP 32 1044 2 UK\Jethro Tull-Aqualung-(11)Wind-up.wav

Peak level 91.0 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC B79F1151
    Copy OK

22. Dr. Merkwürdigli

First is 610016-222
    Second is CDP 32 1044 2

Both has same peak levels as your Sanyo Japan.

Attached Files:

23. rjstauber

Thanks Bjorn, wow, you have a lot of different versions...

Here's the updated table:

Attached Files:

• AQ.gif
      AQ.gif
      File size:
      45.8 KB
      Views:
    Endymion likes this.
  24. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

CDP32 1044-2 blue box

Track 1

Filename Jethro Tull , Aqualung.wav

Peak level 94.1 %
    Track quality 99.9 %
    Test CRC 2234FD4E
    Accurately ripped (confidence 8) [219228A3]
    Copy OK

Track 2

Filename Cross-eyed Mary.wav

Peak level 86.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 38EB47B7
    Accurately ripped (confidence 9) [D41365A2]
    Copy OK

Track 3

Filename Cheap Day Return.wav

Peak level 61.8 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 5A46162C
    Accurately ripped (confidence 9) [53E0CD50]
    Copy OK

Track 4

Filename Mother Goose.wav

Peak level 86.6 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC B7243E6D
    Accurately ripped (confidence 9) [03DB7FE7]
    Copy OK

Track 5

Filename Wond'ring Aloud.wav

Peak level 58.6 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC FF84364C
    Accurately ripped (confidence 9) [38BCE4DD]
    Copy OK

Track 6

Filename Up to Me.wav

Peak level 88.8 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 8513AF06
    Accurately ripped (confidence 9) [33EB746B]
    Copy OK

Track 7

Filename My God.wav

Peak level 100.0 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 15F7A758
    Accurately ripped (confidence 9) [8F2DE6C3]
    Copy OK

Track 8

Filename Hymn 43.wav

Peak level 83.4 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 2E9D5DB3
    Accurately ripped (confidence 8) [33F3B51A]
    Copy OK

Track 9

Filename Slipstream.wav

Peak level 60.1 %
    Track quality 99.7 %
    Test CRC 08107C67
    Accurately ripped (confidence 9) [E22086EE]
    Copy OK

Track 10

Filename Locomotive Breath.wav

Peak level 90.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC BD394461
    Accurately ripped (confidence 9) [6470EA7A]
    Copy OK

Track 11

Filename Wind-up.wav

Peak level 91.0 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 83D03F7D
    Accurately ripped (confidence 6) [C59832BE]
    Copy OK

All tracks accurately ripped

No errors occurred

End of status report

25. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Yes I think you are correct that it has pre-emphasis.

To me it sounds like it is mastered from a higher generation source than the other versions I have. There is more tape hiss and the sound seems a little smeared lacking some focus.