Roland's favorite CD versions of Queen albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjstauber, Feb 23, 2008.

1. evil_ash_xero

evil_ash_xero Forum Resident

Thanks a lot guys.

2. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

I found a West German EMI Greatest Hits (red faced) CD for a few bucks earlier today and am really pleased with the sound.

Now I need to find the old EMI Sheer Heart Attack, ADATR and Game discs. Each of the 2011 remasters for these albums, especially the latter, aren't really crankable because of the loudness IMO.

3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yeah, and SHA has a problem with sibillance.

4. Roland, is there a reason you don't mention any of the new 2011 remasters in your album-by-album breakdown? I suppose it's because you didn't find time to listen to them yet, right?

If you've indeed sampled a few of them, is there any specific reason you didn't like them? Too much limiting?

I've listened to a few of them now and even though some of them are much too loud, some albums were improved compared to the previous versions (notably Queen II sounds much better now).

5. rjstauber

rjstauber Senior Member Thread Starter

I think the new Queen remasters are simply too loud for my liking. Some of them might have decent EQ and might be from better sources, but the quite heavy limiting/compression ruins it for me.

I can see though how some prefer the remasters for some albums, if you're not affected that much by a reduced dynamic range.

6. MrFusion

MrFusion Member

Discogs.

7. Thanks for your reply! Indeed, those remasters were really a missed opportunity, both sonically and in terms of bonus material :shake:

8. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

Read Roland's thread-starter and another poster's comment on page 1, but I'm still not sure what the preferred CD version of Hot Space is.

Any suggestions?

9. rock76

rock76 Forum Resident

The 2001 Japanese Mini-LP remaster sounds very good, followed by the 2011 remaster.

10. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I like most of the Japan 2001 remasters. Much more dynamic than the 2011....which ain't sayin much I guess.

11. George P

George P Notable Member

CP32

12. Or standard European CDP which contains the same mastering and is much easier to find for a decent price.

Plan9 likes this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

14. Sorry if this has been asked before but did anyone ever compare the different masterings of Live at Wembley ’86? This album has also been reissued quite a few times: The original 1992 release, the 2003 remaster and finally the recent 25th Anniversary Edition.

Does anybody which of these sound best?

15. Bump :wave:

16. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

anybody compare in this threat the SHM-SACDs vs the CDPs etc... ?

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The SHM-SACDs use the same 2011 mastering as the remastered CDs.

18. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

so I pass... and shm-sacd dont have bonus tracks I think... so exist any improve in sound just for be SACD vs the normal CD, I mean as you say both are the same master

19. drSeehas

drSeehas Forum Resident

IF both are the same master, there can't be a difference in sound.

20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Well, except for the higher resolution of SACD.

21. drSeehas

drSeehas Forum Resident

Which higher resolution?

22. rjstauber

rjstauber Senior Member Thread Starter

I think with the higher resolution of the SACD it should be easier to hear how bad that mastering is.

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The SACD has a transfer of the 96/24 PCM files.

That's what I was thinking, actually. :laugh:

24. Queenlover

Queenlover New Member

Hi, Everybody! I apologize for my English. I would like to find English firstpress of Queen albums , if possible. Thank you!

25. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

^^^

Amazon.co.uk and eBay.co.uk.

:)