"Roll Up!"; 50th Anniversary of Magical Mystery Tour - The Beatles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mBen989, Nov 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Re. the Yellow Submarine EP idea. Could it not have been a UK only release as MMT was?

2. greenoort

greenoort Forum Resident

I always flip flop feelings about this album. Sometimes I think its a fantastic psychedelic-pop release, and others i feel its a non-essential dated piece of psychedelia that pales in comparison to other psychedelic releases of its time. As of right now, I think it's a cool album. "Strawberry Fields Forever", "I Am The Walrus" "Flying" "Baby You're a Rich Man" and "Blue Jay Way" are the only tracks i really TRULY care about on this album. I think its an interesting little side album, but besides the big singles and the few neat gems lying in there, it's not all that impressive or interesting and just is a big reminder, as with pepper, as the beatles downfall as real progressives and innovators. That's not to say that I don't ENJOY pepper or this album because I do! They're fine! I just kind of see it as the beginning of the end is all. Don't throw things at me! :hide:

Lewisboogie likes this.
  3. I saw a few of these at Amoeba for $23. I assume they are new boots. I doubt Germany did a reissue. They look great so I’ll grab one. I already have two : and original Horzu and the subsequent Apple that looks like this. .

Anyone know anything about this ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

fer2 and greenoort like this.
  4. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member Thread Starter

I smell fish.

Mazzy likes this.
  5. Obviously, but they look great. I bought one. Will share the label later.

6. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

I'm a lifetime Beatles fan, but until tonight, had never seen the Magical Mystery Tour film. Finally checked it out from the library and watched it tonight. My quick take:

John seemed surprisingly enthused throughout and supplies the best moments as far as comic relief goes.
    Paul looks cheerful, and completely unaware of how lousy the movie is.
    George looks like he mentally checked out prior to filming (watching him, I thought, this is why he was so opposed to the Beatles going on a cruise ship to Africa with a lot of fans)
    Ringo looks game, but somewhat resigned to doing his best in a project he's not fully invested in.

at times, it showed promise--I think they were going for monty pythonesque humor, but they didn't have a writer at all, let alone one of Pythonesque caliber. And of course, Monty Python didn't exist yet, although the Python performers were working on shows like Do Not Adjust your set and At Last the 1948 Show. too bad they didn't get some of those guys involved. So the movie just seems aimless. And the "Your Mother Should Know" sequence cries out for a dance routine, but since the Beatles couldn't or wouldn't dance, we just seem the walking around in white evening clothes, which is kind of embarrassing.

7. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I watched Magical Mystery Tour about twenty five years ago...I still want that fifty minutes back!

Galactus2 and Neil Anderson like this.
  8. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member Thread Starter

I just started another thread covering the TV special here . Carry on talking about the album.

9. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

To answer your first question - on my return to Melbourne from a holiday in Sydney in 1971. The one and only time I tried to persuade a parent to buy an album for me.

As a 9 & 10yo whenever I'd go to my nan's house I was allowed to use their old radiogram. That's when I first heard almost all the Beatles music from Sgt Pepper to the White Album, every single (bar Hello Goodbye) and the ep set Magical Mystery Tour. Later on I when I was given those records I figured why they were the mono editions - because their old mono radiogram played mono records.

Anyway, I'm holidaying in Sydney with my mum and we're in Kings Cross "a more entertaining part of town' and I see a US Magical Mystery Tour LP for the very first time. I knew you couldn't buy it normally, so I persuade my mum to buy it. The pics seemed so much better larger and spotting The Beatles and their helpers in the crowd shot was fun. I loved it - still do, and that copy - green capitol - still plays very well. It's a very happy album, whereas the ep set is less so.

Fast forward to the mid 80s and I'm thrilled to know that EMI Australia stock the double ep - fully imported from the UK. A few years back I bought the boxed dvd /45 set and playing the mono disc takes me back to a time long ago. I'm glad I've both mono and stereo - there's plenty of difference between the two.

And on the occasions I play that first Lp? - it's with a fondness towards a simpler time and a parent's love.

10. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

"MMT" is my "go to" Beatles film when I have the urge to see one. And I have this "urge" a lot!

Jerry Horne, Dee Zee and Mark Wilson like this.
  11. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

12. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

The only Capitol album I own. My uncle gave it to me as a Christmas present some ten years ago. It's still one of my favourite Beatles albums because it is so weird ... ;)

13. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Most of us thought an album was 12 inches and a single 7 inches. Size did matter then.

14. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Those Capitol suits that tacked on those singles to the proper M.M.T. tracks, unknowingly created a stone, total classic album. If forced to choose, my favourite Beatles album, from my favourite year of Beatles music (1967). (Actually, my favourite album by anybody.) Their most colourful-sounding record; even moreso than the estimable Sgt. Pepper. On a sunny day, no music gives me more joy than this ...

John Porcellino and wgriel like this.
  15. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

MMT has been, and always will be one of my favorite Beatles albums. It was the 2nd Beatles album I had purchased. (the first was Y&T) It's the one album I can listen to and never grow tired of it. :)

bhazen and Keith V like this.
  16. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Happy 50th to the TV show.

MsMaclen and Dino like this.
  17. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I screened the MMT Blu-Ray today and enjoyed it immensely. I enjoy it more upon every subsequent viewing. It’s a charming time piece and very much in the style of the Strawberry Fields film. In fact they should have put in the SFF, Penny Lane and Hello Goodbye Films and released it into theaters.

One thing that I’ve been wondering. Us fans experienced the 6 songs as MMT, Fool, Flying, Blue Jay, Mother and Walrus. But the UK EP has the songs sequenced MMT, Mother, Walrus, Fool, Flying and finally Blue Jay. And the film has a different sequence as well. If you lived in the UK how do you remember the song sequencing of MMT?

18. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

Now that I think about it, the title song may have been the first notes I ever heard from The Beatles.

There was some kind of a big meeting in my elementary school. We were all sitting in the cafeteria. And I guess the principal played the song over the PA to get things started. A bunch of kids cheered it. And I wondered if I had missed some kind of orientation because I have never heard this music before. (This was the mid-70s, so the band had been extant not that long previously - though none of use were old enough to remember it.)

It must have been later that my friend who lived next door showed me the record and explained that these guys were important. And I think he showed me a reproduction of the Two Virgins album cover in a book he owned. Which might make Yoko Ono the first woman I saw naked.

I might have preferred not remembering this.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    Jerry Horne, Ivan, Dino and 1 other person like this.
  19. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

For that matter, can you imagine the world's biggest band, having just triumphed with a worldwide smash, releasing another record only six months later?

20. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

This is correct. And it's AMAZING we still have Beatle people on here spreading MISINFORMATION about how appalled the Beatles were at Capitol 'Butchering' their album's.
    Not Frucking true already!! STOP..........

Stop it already!
    Beave

21. fer2

fer2 Forum Resident

I saw a few of these at Amoeba for $23. I assume they are new boots. I doubt Germany did a reissue. They look great so I’ll grab one. I already have two : and original Horzu and the subsequent Apple that looks like this. .

Anyone know anything about this ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

Oh I have it !!
    And it's great !!
    Bought it by CdandLp.com, sounds great and NO booklet, but yes, it is really ok.

22. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

If Paul just made a film with 6 music videos in the same vain as I Am The Walrus, and not an attempt at a cohesive film, it would have been remembered much better.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  23. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

You are right about the cover not being about that issue, but the Beatles WERE appalled at Capitol's butchering of their albums, they said so.

phantomime likes this.
  24. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Mono

Have two ep's
    (one in the DE box)
    and the mono
    cd from the box

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  25. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Again it is worth to remember here, that this was the Capitol album The Beatles fully approved -and they did it in the year of 1967. They had conversations with Capitol regarding releasing it as an album in the States and probably they were also sole in deciding what went on side 2 (not proved, though). The Beatles had power to nix this in 1967, but they went along with it instead. Therefore, it IS a fully approved Beatles release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.