Rolling Stones 1999 Virgin LP Replica CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Futurecity, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. These! Only the Zipper had a separate loose sheet of plastic for protection

image.jpg

2. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident Thread Starter

OK, thanks. Yes, that's what I thought...it resembles a jewel case, but is in fact a special hard plastic mini LP container of some kind, and it doesn't even open up...the mni LP slides out.

As I also asked before though...when you first slid your mini LP out from the hard plastic case, was the mini LP itself further protected with a layer of clear plastic (like a plastic mini LP sleeve), or was it just the cardboard LP w/o any plastic sleeve around it?

The one I have in the "resealable bag sleeve", when you take the mini LP out, it is covered in a thin, clear plastic sleeve.

3. Futurecity

Thanks for the scan, but I am well aware of those. I'm hoping we can get to the bottom of the "resealable sleeve editions" and find out when they were released and if they are absolutely legit? I did notice that the mini LPs themselves (in your photo) appear to not have an additional protective plastic sleeve around them. I mean, you take them out of the hard plastic case and they are just bare...is that correct?

This is the version that I have, but the mini LP itself has a protective layer around it, probably because it comes in a thin, resealable sleeve, which offers very little protection...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Rolling...271160406050?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item3f226b7022

4. And I wrote above only Stick Fingers has one thin loose square sheet of plastic that covers the zipper from scratching the outer plastic sleeve.

5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Weird.
    Maybe it was a regional thing.
    Remember, no real Internet in '94, just retail stores. Remember them?

6. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Never seen them, ever until now, so if they originally came like that....good find! I don't know where any official info is on them. Someone here should know definitively. As much as I have in Stones merch, music n collectibles and may think I know a lot when it comes to the Stones, there is obviously stuff I don't know or have missed.

To your other question, they are not in any casing other than the plastic slipcover. So cardboard sleeve inside slipcover.

7. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Answering this question, for Sticky Fingers, at least, the standard edition in the jewel case - yellow disk changed to a silver disk in the late 1990s.

8. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I remember this SF mini lp cd release in 1999. I worked at Borders and we carried a copy. It sat around for months before we sold it. Don't know it there were any other Stones cds in this edition, Discogs doesn't have it listed. I too have the 194 LE and it's nicer, with the plastic sleeve.

Edit - looks like there was a 1999 issue if Exile also :

http://compare.ebay.com/like/271160403196?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

And Some Girls as well :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolling-Sto...320419979819?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item4a9a84e22b

9. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

I have 3 of the resealable sleeve editions, Sticky Finger, Exile and Some Girls. Of mine, only SF has a plastic protective sleeve around it-I'm guessing it's that same situation as the earlier issues where only SF hd it because of the zipper. I like the exile because it has a set of postcards with Robert Frank photography like the artwork from the original LPs. That artwork is missing on other CD issues. Don't remember when I bought these or even if I bought them new or used.

10. Futurecity

Well, we are getting warmer, but as "Clanceman" suggested, someone here should know for sure what the "resealable bag/sleeve" editions are and when they were released? Again, Discogs site lists three catalog numbers for the STICKY FINGERS U.S. Virgin CD...7243-8-39525-2-6...7243-8-39504-2-3...and this last one is mine...7243-8-47863-2-8 (resealable sleeve edition).

Now, I found out today that the one that ends in "2-6" is the later, silver disc edition (the one that replaced the "Collector's Edition"). Question - a friend of mine suggested that my resealable sleeve "Collector's Edition" might be a U.K. release? However, since Discog's site lists it as a U.S. release, and since the catalog number is similar to the silver disc edition (ends in 2-6 and 2-8), is it safe to say that mine is a U.S. release too? I just want to first make sure it is a U.S. release, then I can go forward and try to find out more...

11. Futurecity

Interesting. Is there anything else you can add though? For example, the STICKY FINGERS resealable sleeve edition doesn't mention anything about being a U.S. or U.K. release anywhere on the packaging or disc...would you know what it is? Does your SOME GIRLS or EXILE editions offer any clues as well?

12. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

These seem to be US releases. They all say Printed in the USA. Manufactured by Virgin Records America, Inc.

13. Futurecity

OK, thanks, but can you please tell me where it says that on the STICKY FINGERS resealable sleeve edition? That's the only title I have in the "resealable sleeve editions", and unless I missed it somewhere, it doesn't say any of that on my packaging or disc...or did I not look in the right place?

14. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

Sure, right on the back in the little print next to the Tongue logo.

15. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Ok, here's a link to minilps.net, and a page that refers to these mini lps that were released in 1999. The only ones that they reference however, are some Japanese editions. Could they possibly be Japanese? Minilps.net is said to be the definitive guide to all releases classified as paper sleeves. They have the 94 Collector editions indexed that many of us are familiar with and own. I know someone said they remembered seeing them in Borders in 99, but besides that and listings on eBay, I've heard nothing about them ever before. Maybe Trevor knows about them?

I'm not saying they are fake. If someone has them, not from ebay, but collected them from brand new in 99, I'd be interested to hear about it. They seem to go for way more money than the slipcase editions and ebay says they're rare. What if, just what if the sleeves were reproduced and then one of these Japanese mini lp plastic sleeves were slapped on them? The other thing, someone could buy a 94 edition real cheap, take out the paper sleeve, put shrink around that and seal them with the Japanese plastic sleeve. Just saying its possible. I've scoured the net and have gone through the minilps.net site, and only can find Japanese editions listed from 99, and those have obis.

http://www.minilps.net/rolling-stones/1999-emi-release-1970s-vjcp-68031-to-vjcp-68038

16. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Do you own any of these "resealable" editions from the U.S.? I own loads of mini lps, Japanese and other cardboard sleeves. These "resealable" sleeves can be bought and any paper sleeve can be sealed with them, hence "resealable". I buy them by the 50 pack to replace ones that tear, as they easily rip, when I reseal my paper sleeves they look brand new.

17. Futurecity

Thanks again. Wow, that print is so small, no wonder I missed it. You literally need a magnifying glass to read that properly (and I don't have one - need to pick one up I guess). Yes, I noticed it said "Printed In The USA" at the end of the 3rd line and "Manufactured By Virgin America, Inc.", under that, but "America" looked even smaller...I initially couldn't make out the country.

One last question though, just to confirm that our two copies are indentical...does your catalog number match mine...7243-8-47863-2-8? This number is printed on the upper right hand corner on the back of the mini LP jacket and on the disc itself.

Care to speculate when these were released? It's hard to believe Virgin would release these resealable sleeve editions in 1994, since the other "Collector's Edition" (in the hard plastic slipcase) was available, unless they quitely put them out along side them or tried to market them cheaper without the hard plastic case and obi strip? Every ebay seller lists the release date as Oct. 5, 1999, but when trying to confirm this date online, nothing shows up for a U.S. Virgin release in 1999...only 1994.

18. Futurecity

Thanks for the post! No, my copy appears to be a real USA edition (see my reply below to "Ragu"). He correctly pointed out where I can find that information and it's true...I saw it for myself! My copy does not have any Japanese printing, does not have the Japanese cat.# on the packaging or disc, no obi...nothing like that at all.

However, we still have a mystery on our hands here! Most of us (even the owners of them, including me) don't know much about the "resealable sleeve" editions, or their actual release dates? I'm sure someone here must know though about these apparently, rare and obscure resealable mini LP/CD editions?

19. Futurecity

I meant, see my reply "above" to Ragu...:)

20. Futurecity

You bring up a good question! However, I think Ragu can help me answer it. My copy has that "round sticker" on the front (which I would think is an official Virgin sticker?). My copy looks identical to this one on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Rolling...271160406050?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item3f226b7022

Ragu, does your copy have this round sticker on it as well?

Clanceman, would you concur that if both of our copies have that sticker on it, then we probably have the original resealable sleeve it came with?

21. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Hmmm, I think that's really what is left to authenticate. You see the yellow CDs can be pulled from another edition, the paper sleeves as well, obviously the resealable packages.....but someone needs to identify that these stickers are original and exclusive to this item from that year, because I suppose, if not, that those could have been created as well.

These could be authentic editions, but don't you find it odd that we can't find info anywhere except on eBay, and the eBay descriptions use a templated, universal description with the addition of "rare, oop, new", etc..?

No matter what, the CDs themselves are real, and the paper sleeves likely are as well. It just seems mysterious. I'm just waiting for someone or multiple people to jump on here and authenticate them, showing their originals or filling in with the rest of the story.

22. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Here's a picture of the Exile I have, with a different variation on the sticker. I had always assumed this was a UK issue, because of the "digitally remastered from the English masters" statement on the sticker. I purchased this at a now-defunct Music 4 a Song store here in the local outlet mall at least 10 years ago. This is the original bag and original sticker.

Exile.jpg

23. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

why on earth would a UK release proudly proclaim From The English Masters ?

24. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

I recently purchased the Exile disc of these at a local used shop for $5.00. First I ever heard of these versions, this disc sounds very good to me.
    Thanks to the OP for starting this thread!

25. Tin Whisker

Tin Whisker Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.